Ann <I>Jones</I> Tonks

Ann Jones Tonks

Staffordshire, England
Death 22 Mar 1883 (aged 83)
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA
Burial Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA
Plot H_10_15_1/2_E
Memorial ID 24078225 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Ann Jones Tonks

Ann Jones married Timothy Tonks on October 5, 1917 in the All Saints, West Bromish, England a few days before Timothy's 25th birthday. According to one source of information all their twelve children were born at Willenhall and the first three died in infancy. The name of Enoch was given as the first child. He could have been a twin and died at birth.

They heard the gospel in England and Timothy was baptized in 1850. His wife, Ann, was baptized two years later. The five daughters joined the Church but the sons did not. Four of the daughters were pioneers to Utah before the railroad came. The other came in 1870.

Her daughter, Eliza Beeston, living in New York, sent for her parents to come to America. They sailed from London 4 June 1863 on the ship "Amazon" and landed at New York 18 July 1863. A twelve year old granddaughter, Sarah Tonks, came with them. (This is found in Gen. Lib. -61884 F942 pt 2, p 292. Master of ship-Hovey Williams, 882 Saints on board.) (The book Church Chronology by Andrew Jenson, gives name of ships and dates, p. 69)

In the Instructor, April 1967, p 155, it gives an account of author, Charles Dickens and "The Mormon Emigrant Ship." (Extracts from chapter from "Uncommercial Traveler.)

The place: The London docks on the River Thames.
The ship: The "Amazon" on June 4, 1963

The Emigrants: Some peculiar people known as Mormons.

Dickens goes on board an emigrant ship on a hot morning early in June. He goes first to the great cabin, finding that, as usual in such circumstances, "perspiring landsmen, with loose papers and with pens and inkstands, pervade it." But there on the deck to which he now passes, "nobody is in an ill-temper, nobody is worse for drink, nobody swears an oath or uses a coarse word, nobody appears depressed, nobody is weeping..."

Dickens wonders aloud, "What would a stranger suppose these emigrants to be?" The captain responds, "What indeed! The most of these came aboard yesterday evening. They came from various parts of England in small parties that had never seen one another before, yet they had not been a couple of hours on board when they established their own police, made their own regulations and set their own watches at all the hatchways. Before nine o'clock the ship was as orderly and as quiet as a man-of-war." Dickens concludes that " would be difficult to find 800 people together anywhere else, and find so much beauty and so much strength and capacity for work among them.

"What is in store for the poor people on the shores of the Great Salt Lake, what happy delusions they are laboring under now, on what miserable blindness their eyes may be opened then, I do not pretend to say. But I went on board their ship to bear testimony against them if they deserved it, as I fully believed they would. To my great astonishment they did not deserve it, and my predispositions and tendencies must not affect me as an honest witness. I went over the Amazon's side feeling it impossible to deny that so far some remarkable influence had produced remarkable result, which better known influences have often missed."

The emigrants saw through the eye of faith. They were to find a new, richer life on those distant "shores of Great Salt Lake.

Timothy was 71 years of age and Ann was almost 64 at this time.

Their daughter Susannah and husband Aaron Hill and four children were waiting for them so they could leave together for Utah. Their grandson, Jobe Hill, tells in his diary written years later, of incidents of the ship's landing and crossing the plains. Jobe, eight years old, and his father were at Castle Gardens, New York, when the ship came in. It was interesting to see the sail vessel towed up to the landing by a steam tug and see so many strange faces and hear the strange noise of the water cans as the water was emptied out of them preparatory to refilling them with fresh water.

The granddaughter stayed with her aunt and uncle, the Beestons, and came to Utah with them the next year.

At this time the Civil War was on and a call had been made for 600,000 men. The only way the son-in-law, Aaron Hill, could escape war was to emigrate to Utah. There was a terrible riot in the streets of New York City for several days. It ended just before the ship "Amazon" landed. The Lord opened the way for them to come west.

Upon leaving for the west, they boarded the train, and after crossing the state of New York, they came to and crossed the Niagara River in full view of the falls, on a large suspension bridge. The train slowed up so they could have a good look at the falls. Reaching the first station in Canada they were put into box cars because the train had been fired upon a time or two by professional soldiers. At Detroit they rode in passenger cars again.

The small granddaughter, Eliza Jennette Hill, became ill with canker and diarrhea and each day became worse.

At St. Joseph, Missouri, they boarded a river steamer and ran up the Missouri River to a place called Omaha, although no houses were in sight, the town being a mile or two from the river. The water was too shallow in the river to go on to Florence, Nebraska, a few miles farther. The next morning 70 or 80 covered wagons drawn by six to eight oxen on each wagon came, and the immigrants were seated in these wagons. Their company numbered about 250 men, women, and children, with a Mr. Hyde as Captain. (Rosel Hyde, "Church Chronology," p. 69).2 They made camp a few miles away from the river where there was plenty of wood, water, and grass. Here they stayed fourteen days while the steamer returned to St. Joseph for the luggage of the immigrants.

It was while waiting here that the little 2 ½ year old granddaughter passed away. This was a heart-breaking time for them. In some way a little rough lumber was obtained by a friend and a small box made for her to be buried in. She was the only one of sixteen in their company who died before reaching Salt Lake that was buried in a box, as all others were rolled in a blanket or buried in the clothing they wore.

The luggage came and the westward trek began, 11 August. At 7 a.m. the bugler played "Do What is Right" as each wagon and oxen moved onto the road. Those strong enough would walk ahead a ways, then rest beside the road until the train caught up. Instructions were not to go far ahead as it would be safer from Indians.

They traveled sixteen to twenty miles a day, resting on Sunday. Religious services were held. Reaching the Platte River, they camped several nights along the shore as they traveled, but found water very low. A little meat was obtained along the way by men with guns-such as wild ducks and chickens and even antelope at time, which was a real treat, to supplement their meager diet. Many buffalo heads were found scattered along the trail. "Chimney Rock" could be seen for several days before passing it. This attracted considerable attention. As they drew near South Pass some snow fell on the distant hills and the nights were pretty cold. Large brush fires were made at night for warmth.

The company arrived in Salt Lake 13 October 1863 after two months of weary traveling.

Through the kindness of friends, Timothy obtained a lot up on the bench and a nice little one-room stone house was built for them. Five years later after coming to Utah he passed away in June 1868. Burial was in the Salt Lake Cemetery 9 Jun 1868.

-History written by Wendell H. Ransom in 1991, from the Jobe Hill Journal written by Jobe Hill about 1904.

Found online at The Job Hill Journal. Ann and Job Hill history start on page 9 (web address given to me by Melea Allan)

They had twelve children: Enoch Tonks, Eliza Tonks (1), Frederick Tonks, Eliza Tonks (2) Beeston, Isaac Tonks, Abraham Tonks, Jacob Tonks, Rachel V. Tonks, Leah Tonks, Susanna Tonks and Tabitha Tonks Gough.

Family Members




  • Created by: Rhonda
  • Added: 20 Jan 2008
  • Find A Grave Memorial 24078225
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Ann Jones Tonks (23 Oct 1799–22 Mar 1883), Find A Grave Memorial no. 24078225, citing Salt Lake City Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA ; Maintained by Rhonda (contributor 46869790) .