Rolly Ray Gale

Rolly Ray Gale

Death 18 Aug 1987 (aged 76)
Burial Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, USA
Plot 972-3-7
Memorial ID 22454991 · View Source
Suggest Edits

I am the son of George and Elsie K. Gale, the seventh child. I don't recall much of my life while in Taylor, for I was too young. Dad moved the family to Show Low shortly after this. I recall how bad the lightning was. At one time, it was so loud and struck with such bright force. I was on the front porch and it scared me so much that I keeled over like it really got me. Marlin saw this so he rushed over and scooped me up quickly and took me in the house.

When I was but a young lad of six, Dad moved his family to Jewett (Liberty) San Juan County, New Mexico, on the Navajo Indian Reservation. Our house was similar to an old Indian Hogan. The logs were cut roughly like about 12" square and plastered up with mud to keep out the cold and warm winds.

In Jewett is where I attended my first school. I used to ride to school on old "Smokey*, a saddle pony, bareback with brother Clyde and Sister Cora. I rode in the middle to keep me on, and warm. I recall making tin sleds out of long, wide pieces of tin and bending one end up for the front. Jim and I would take them over on a steep hill back of Bro. Wheeler's place. Boy, did we ever pick up so much speed quickly, coming off that steep little hill.

1918 was a great year because of the end of World War I. My brother, Hugh, gave his life in France in a machine gun battalion. Lots of flu epidemic going around. Our whole family was down at once, and we had to fumigate by burning sulphur throughout the house.

We moved to Ashurst, then to Chandler. Jim and I used to swim in the Consolidated Irrigation Canal close by during the hot summer months. I often got water in my ears, but got it out by holding warm small pebbles to the ears. At one time, I failed to take all the water out. So after a year or so, I was troubled with a bad ear ache. The doctor said I had a two years' growth of gangrene poison behind my left ear. This called for a major operation, called mastoid.

I spent two hours at St. Joseph's Hospital in surgery. I spent 10 days or so in the hospital. I carry a scar behind my left ear today. Lucky for me I made it with-the Lord's help.

Dad bought Jim and me bicycles to ride to school. Since we had the bicycles, we would take turns pumping Melva and Elsie to school. Later, we had a model T Ford runabout to go to school in. One day I had to stay late after school hours for football practice. Melva decided to stay late, too, so she would have a ride home. Everything was going fine until dark. I had no lights, so I was driving by use of the white line in the middle of the road. I asked Melva if she could see the white line. About that time C-R-U-N-C-H and the engine died. We had just sheared off a telephone pole, level with the ground. All it did to the car was bend the crank and broke the hose connection.

View Click on this link to read the rest of Rolly's personal history.

Family Members

Gravesite Details Married and sealed in the Arizona Temple in Mesa, October 6, 1939.

Sponsored by Ancestry



  • Maintained by: Gary Foster
  • Originally Created by: EFG
  • Added: 25 Oct 2007
  • Find a Grave Memorial 22454991
  • Find a Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Rolly Ray Gale (13 Dec 1910–18 Aug 1987), Find a Grave Memorial no. 22454991, citing City of Mesa Cemetery, Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, USA ; Maintained by Gary Foster (contributor 47500898) .