Levi Hooper, Gillespie Painter, Dies
Gillespie, Jan. 13–(Special)–Levin Hooper, 62, painter for many years, died at 3:30 a.m., Sunday at St. Francis Hospital, Litchfield, where he had been for several weeks following an operation for relief of gall bladder trouble.
Funeral services are scheduled for 3 p.m., Tuesday at the Wiese funeral home, and burial will be in Gillespie cemetery.
Surviving are his widow, Rose; a son, Levi, with whom he was in partnership, and a sister, Mrs. Olive May Guckes of Gillespie.
“Levi Hooper, Gillespie Painter, Dies,” obituary, Alton Evening Telegraph (Alton, Illinois), 13 Jan 1936, p. 6, col. 6.
1880 U.S. census, Cottonwood Grove Precinct, Bond County, Illinois, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 65, p. 16, dwelling 169, Alexander Hooper household.
- Alexander Hooper, age 39, farmer, born in Indiana
- Julia A. Hooper, age 31, wife, keeping house, born in Illinois
- Levi Hooper, age 7, son, born in Illinois
1900 U.S. census, Gillespie Township, Macoupin County, Illinois, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 58, sheet 9, dwelling 194, Alexander Hooper household.
- Alexander Hooper, age 59, farmer, married 31 years, born in Dec 1840 in Indiana
- Julia A. Hooper, age 51, wife, born in Apr 1849 in Illinois, 6 children born, 3 children living, married 31 years
- Levi Hooper, age 26, son, born in Jan 1873 in Illinois, single
- Alfred Hooper, age 10, son, born in Oct 1889 in Illinois, single
Chicago & North Western Historical Society, Berwyn, Illinois, Chicago and North Western Railroad Employee Records, Social Security Carrier Employee Registration, no. 355-09-2778, Ivel Owassa Hooper, birth 19 Nov 1906, Nokomis, Montgomer County, Illinois. Parents: Levi Hooper and Rosa Estella Grant.
Sponsored by Ancestry