Alexander Hooper was born about December 1840 in Indiana or Ohio. Alexander served with Company G, Unit 79, in the Illinois Infantry in the Union Army during the Civil War, where he was injured, loosing sight in his right eye and partially in his left.
Alexander married Julia Ann Webster on 1 Jan 1968 in Bond County, Illinois. The couple had six children, Ann and two others who died as children, as well as Levi, Olive May, and Alfred Leroy.
Alexander Hooper died on 6 Feb 1913 and is buried in Gillespie City Cemetery in Gillespie, Macoupin County, Illinois.
Montgomery County, Illinois, Marriage Register, vol. 5, 1326-2600, p. 61, no. 3547, Alexander Hooper–Miss Julia A. Webster, 1 Jan 1868.
1870 U.S. census, McCord, Bond County, Illinois, population schedule, p. 23, dwelling 169, Alex Hooper household.
- Alex Hooper, age 29, farmer, born in Ohio
- Julia Hooper, age 21, keeping house, born in Illinois
- Ann Hooper, age 2, born in Illinois
1880 U.S. census, Cottonwood Grove Precinct, Bond County, Illinois, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 65, p. 16, dwelling 169, Alexander Hooper household.
- Alexander Hooper, age 39, farmer, born in Indiana
- Julia A. Hooper, age 31, wife, keeping house, born in Illinois
- Levi Hooper, age 7, son, born in Illinois
1900 U.S. census, Gillespie Township, Macoupin County, Illinois, population schedule, enumeration district (ED) 58, sheet 9, dwelling 194, Alexander Hooper household.
- Alexander Hooper, age 59, farmer, married 31 years, born in Dec 1840 in Indiana
- Julia A. Hooper, age 51, wife, born in Apr 1849 in Illinois, 6 children born, 3 children living, married 31 years
- Levi Hooper, age 26, son, born in Jan 1873 in Illinois, single
- Alfred Hooper, age 10, son, born in Oct 1889 in Illinois, single
National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), Washington D.C., Veterans Administration Pension Payment Cards, 1907-1933, record group 15, roll 1080, Alexander Hooper, death 6 Feb 1913.
Office of the Illinois Secretary of State, Illinois State Archives, 1929 Illinois Roll of Honor, Macoupin County, vol. 2, p. 188, Alexander Hooper. Civil War, Company G, Unit 79 Illinois Infantry, Gillespie Cemetery.
Sponsored by Ancestry