Hallie Brooks <I>Latham</I> Illingworth


Hallie Brooks Latham Illingworth

Greenville, Muhlenberg County, Kentucky, USA
Death Dec 1937 (aged 36)
Port Angeles, Clallam County, Washington, USA
Burial Vancouver, Clark County, Washington, USA
Plot Section D, Lot 9, Grave 1
Memorial ID 20841050 View Source

Known as the Lady Of The Lake / Disapeared Dec. 1937 / body
found July 6 1940 Lake Cresent-Clallam county.
Interned July 9 1940 Ocean view Cemetery Sec. F Blk 60 Lot 5 /exhumed Dec. 1941 for the trial / Interned 24 Jan. 1942
Park Hill.This is the person that was found in 1940 in Lake Crescent and became the person known as "Lady of the Lake"
Father = Finis Latham on 1910 Kentuckey Cencus
Mother = Mary "Bunnie" Latham on 1910 Kentuckey Cencus
Hallie Latham on 1910 Kentuckey Cencus
Spouse #1 = Floyd James Spraker / married in 1919
Spouse #2 = Donald B. Strickland / married in 1933
Spouse #3 = Montgomery J. Illingworth
Hallie came out of her second failed marriage; moved to Washington and found work at the Crescent Lake Tavern then a tourist lodge on Lake Crescent. There she meet a beer truck driver named Montgomery J. Illingsworth. There was a whirlwind courtship leading to marriage shortly after meeting. They were known for their tumultuous relationship by neighbors who spoke of police often being called to intervene in the stormy relationship.
Hallie failed to show up for work on December 22, 1937. After she disappeared she was never heard from again.
Morty was arrested and extrated to Clallam County shortly after Hallie bubbled up from the deep. She was wrapped in blankets tied snuggly with a rope. Two brothers fishing on Lake Crescent were aghast when they found her floating in the lake on July 6, 1940
She was buried in Ocean View cemetery in a pamper's grave
The Lady of the Lake is a true story and one of the more enduring legends on the Olympic Peninsula. This tale of murder, a body that turned to "soap," and the hunt for a killer has absorbed readers and storytellers for generations.

Hog Tied and Strangled
The story began in the summer of 1940 when a woman's body floated to the surface of Lake Crescent in Olympic National Park. The woman was wrapped in blankets and hog tied with heavy rope. She had been strangled.

The case was especially macabre because of the condition of the body. The woman's face was unrecognizable, but her body had not decomposed. In a bizarre chemical transformation, the flesh had turned into a soap-like substance that could be scooped away like putty.

The public's imagination was caught by the grisly discovery, and the murdered woman became known as the "Lady of the Lake." It was a fitting appellation for a mystery woman who had emerged from Lake Crescent, a cold, deep lake that had a reputation for never giving up its dead.

Hallie and Monty
The Lady of the Lake was Hallie Latham Illingworth, a Port Angeles waitress who was married to Montgomery "Monty" J. Illingworth, a beer-truck driver and a known ladies' man. Hallie had been missing since shortly before Christmas in 1937.

Hallie arrived on the Olympic Peninsula about three years earlier after two failed marriages. She was born on January 8, 1901, to a hardworking farm couple in Greenville, Kentucky. As a young adult, Hallie repeatedly moved west searching for a better life. She wound up working at the Lake Crescent Tavern (now Lake Crescent Lodge) where she met Monty, who became her third husband on June 16, 1936.

The two had a volatile marriage. Five months into their marriage, the couple got into a pre-dawn fight that was so fierce the police were called to break it up. Hallie showed up for work at a Port Angeles restaurant with bruises on her face and arms. Sometimes she had black eyes.

The Disappearance
Then as the holidays approached in 1937, Hallie disappeared. After the night and morning of December 21-22, no one saw Hallie again. Monty told friends that his wife had run off with another man. But as months went by, even Hallie's close-knit family had no word from her.

Monty moved to California with a woman he had met in Port Angeles -- a woman whom, reportedly, he was seeing romantically before Hallie's disappearance.

And then on July 6, 1940, almost three years after Hallie disappeared, two fishermen spotted the body of the woman --The Lady of the Lake -- floating on the surface of Lake Crescent.

Ivory Soap Flesh
The body was taken into Port Angeles, where a young medical student, Harlan McNutt, examined the body. He noted that the upper part of her face, her upper lip and nose were gone. Because her hands had been exposed, the tips of the fingers were gone. There was no way to get any fingerprints, and no way to tell what the woman looked like.

And then there was the unusual state of the corpse. The dead woman's flesh had turned to something like Ivory Soap, McNutt said later, describing a condition known as "saponification." The soap-like condition resulted from minerals in the lake interacting with the fats in the woman's body. The lake's near-freezing temperatures had virtually refrigerated the corpse for years.

A visual inspection of the body and a subsequent autopsy showed that the woman met a violent death. Her neck was bruised and discolored, and her chest showed evidence of extensive hemorrhage. She had been beaten and strangled.

Though there was little with which to make an identification, the body had a distinctive, upper dental plate.

It proved to be the clue that led to her killer.

Authorities eventually identified the woman as Hallie Illingworth, thanks to an alert South Dakota dentist who identified the dental plate as one he had made for her years before.

Finding the Killer
Investigators closed in on Monty, living in Long Beach, California. On October 26, 1941, Monty was arrested and taken into custody by Los Angeles sheriff's deputies. Not long after, he was charged with murder.

Monty was brought back to Port Angeles and put on trial for Hallie's murder in Clallam County Superior Court. The trial began on February 24, 1942, and was so sensational that it competed with news from the fronts of World War II.

Trial developments were splashed daily across the front pages of local newspapers. Spectators arrived early. Homemakers, teenagers and curiosity seekers converged on the courtroom and at times during the nine-day trial spilled out into the hall.

Monty's defense was that the dead woman wasn't Hallie, and he swore she was still alive when he last saw her. But the old dentist from South Dakota was a credible witness, and he insisted the dental plate found on the murdered woman belonged to Hallie. Moreover, Hallie's friends identified clothes worn by the dead woman as belonging to Hallie.

The key evidence against Monty was the rope used to tie up Hallie before she was dropped into Lake Crescent. Monty had borrowed 50 feet of rope from a storekeeper at the lake, and the store still had remnants from the rope. The fibers matched.

It took the jurors four hours to reach a verdict. On March 5, 1942, the jury found Monty guilty of second-degree murder. He was sentenced to life imprisonment at the Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla.

Monty served nine years in prison and was paroled in 1951. He died on November 5, 1974, in Los Alamitos, California.

A Terrible Fight
A contemporary of Hallie's later observed that her murder was most likely not premeditated, that Hallie and Monty probably had a fight in their apartment that December night in 1937. The fight took a violent turn and Monty brutally beat and strangled Hallie to death.

Hollis Fultz, a criminologist with the Washington State Attorney General's Office who helped investigate the murder, maintained that Monty tried to conceal the crime by placing his wife's lifeless body in the trunk of his car and driving to Lake Crescent. Monty then stopped in the vicinity of the present-day Log Cabin Resort, where he wrapped his wife’s body in blankets and tied the bundle with a rope.

Monty put Hallie's body in a rowboat, attached weights to the bundle, and rowed into deep water. He then dropped the bundle into the dark water. Rumors circulated during the murder investigation that Monty didn't act alone, but no one other than Monty was charged with the crime.

Gravesite Details

exhumed Dec 1941 / intermed 24 Jan 1942 in Park Hill Cem; See Find-a-Grave # 20841050

Family Members



In their memory
Plant Memorial Trees

Sponsored by Ancestry


See more Illingworth or Latham memorials in:

Send Flowers Sponsor and Remove Ads