* CIVIL WAR *
* SGT ISAAC WEST GOFORTH *
- Birth: 1834 - Death: 1862 -
SGT Isaac West Goforth
Sgt. Isaac West Goforth, son of Beatty, or Beattie? Goforth and Violet Goforth, was born 1834, in Cleveland County, North Carolina. Both parents were also, born in Cleveland County, North Carolina.
- Sgt. Isaac West Goforth's Family, as of 1850c, Cleveland, County, N.C
Name: Isaac W Goforth
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1834
Birth Place: North Carolina
Home in 1850(City,County,State): Cleveland, North Carolina
Household Members: Name Age
Beattie Goforth 45 *
Elizabeth Goforth 10
Isaac W Goforth 16 *
Margaret E Goforth 2
Mary A Goforth 19
Sarah D Goforth 7
Violet Goforth 41 *
- Isaac West Goforth was possibly married to Margaret McGill.
A son of Isaac West Goforth and Margaret McGill Goforth, was Thomas Beatty Goforth.
Information was taken from D.C. of the above son of Isaac West Goforth and Margaret McGill Goforth.
Please see the photo provided (D.C.) on this Memorial Page of Sgt Isaac West Goforth.
According to the information provided above, a son of Isaac West Goforth and his spouse, Margaret McGill Goforth, was Thomas Beatty Goforth. Also, Thomas Beatty Goforth would have received his Father's given name, as his middle name.
* Sgt. Isaac West Goforth * The Civil War *
- Enlisted: March 18, 1862 - Cleveland Co., N.C.
- Killed: September 17, 1862 -
Name: Isaac W Goforth
Residence: Cleveland County, North Carolina
Age at enlistment: 27
Enlistment Date: 18 Mar 1862
Rank at enlistment: Sergeant
Enlistment Place: Cleveland County, NC
State Served: North Carolina
Survived the War?: No
Service Record: Enlisted in Company G, North Carolina 49th
Infantry Regiment on 17 Apr 1862.
Mustered out on 17 Sep 1862 at Sharpsburg, MD.
Birth Date: abt 1835
* THE BATTLE *
- "Battle of Antietam"
* Sharpsburg, MD.
- September 16th-17th, 1862
-The road was filled with Confederate dead and is referred to in all discriptions of the battle, as the "Bloody Lane."-
(American Civil War Battle Summaries)
* Service Information - Below:
- By: Jeff Harmon -
- 3rd Sergeant in Co G of the 49th NC Inf, commanded by Lt. Col. Lee McAfee, Ransom's Brigade, Walker's Division, Longstreet's Corp of the Army of Northern Virginia. The 49th was given the task of attacking Sedgewick's flank on the second day of Antietam (Sharpsburg). They were successful but were checked by cannon fire from Cothran's battery. Sgt. Goforth was killed in action. -
- Above Service Info. Provided -
- by: Jeff Harmon -
* Burial Information Provided For Use:
- Name: Isaac West Goforth
Birth: 1834 - Death: 1862
Service Info.: PVT CONFEDERATE STATES ARMY
Cemetery: Goforth Cemetery
Cemetery Address: Afton Dr, Kings Mountain, NC 28086
- My appreciation to Jeff Harmon, for visiting the gravesite of SGT. Isaac West Goforth, for providing a great photo of his marker stone, and for also obtaining, the service information of Sgt. I. W. Goforth, as above, for the Memorial Page, in honor of Sgt. Isaac West Goforth. Thank you, Jeff Harmon.
* Thank you to Richard Jordan, for providing a photo, shown on this page, taken at "The Goforth Cemetery", Kings Mtn., Cleveland County, N.C. This Goforth Cemetery was perhaps given it's name, as in memory of, "Pvt Preston Goforth" that is also buried in the cemetery. Richard Jordan
* I have taken notice to the difference of in regard to the rank of SGT ISAAC WEST GOFORTH as the following: According to the stone marker placed (photo this page) his rank was Pvt., but the service information states, his rank as being SGT. or 3rd Sgt. I don't understand why the difference.
*Thank you, * SGT ISAAC WEST GOFORTH *
- Pvt. Preston Goforth -
Margaret Susannah McGill Goforth
Thomas Beatty Goforth