The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Arlyne Marian <I>Haugen</I> Grimm

Arlyne Marian Haugen Grimm

Decorah, Winneshiek County, Iowa, USA
Death 16 Apr 1988 (aged 70)
Everett, Snohomish County, Washington, USA
Burial Stanwood, Snohomish County, Washington, USA
Memorial ID 20632067 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Arlyne Marian Haugen, was born on 17 Feb 1918, to Nels and Ruby Haugen at Decorah, Iowa where she weighed into this world at a hefty 4.25 lbs. Her mother had mentioned that she was carried home from the hospital in a shoe box.

She attended schools in Decorah, graduating from high school with honors in 1935. She also attended Sunday School at Decorah Lutheran Church, being confirmed on January 11, 1934.

Arlyne's first job was in the office of a local lumber company where she worked until 1942 when she and a girlfriend left for Washington DC. to help the war effort. She got a job at the State Department, eventually becoming a secretary to an assistant secretary of the Navy for naval intelligence.

Arlyne first met George, her husband to be, on a blind date in Washington, which she later admitted she was hesitant to go on. George at the time was a naval aviator stationed at the Naval Air Station in Patuxent River, Maryland where he was a pilot on the personal aircraft assigned to Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz , who was Chief of Naval Operations.

George gave Arlyne her engagement ring on a beautiful spring evening with the cherry blossoms in full bloom at the base of the Lincoln Memorial with "Honest Abe" looking on. They were married on May 27th 1947 at the Air Station chapel in Patuxent River.

They had a lovely reception on the base but George remembers a few difficulties they had after leaving the party. First their car wouldn't start, so they got thoroughly showered with rice while George was out under the hood, with his dress white uniform on, trying to unscramble the spark plug wires. He got the car going eventually only to be stopped at the station main gate by two armed Marine guards who ordered them out of the car. The guards asked to see their identification and said that theirs was a reported stolen car. Arlyne was getting a little worried about who she had just married when one of the Marine's started to laugh. Then they both gave a sharp salute and told them to get on their way and have a good time. After a couple of blocks they had to stop again to remove the rocks from the hubcaps. All of the incidents were attributed to George's fellow officers at the reception.

They then proceeded to historic Williamsburg, Virginia where they spent a five day honeymoon before George had to leave his new bride and fly to Moffet Naval Air Station in California for command pilot training, and Arlyne drove to her parents' home in Decorah, Iowa. After a month, George came back to claim his bride and spent a week there before heading west.

One afternoon while in Decorah, George talked Arlyne into taking her first ride in a small airplane which he rented at a local airport. They cruised around the countryside for a while enjoying the scenery, then when George banked the plane up to make the turn back, Arlyne became worried and insisted he straighten it up. George told her she would have to let him make a turn or they would end up in a corn field in the middle of Iowa.

Later, after spending a week with George's parents at what is now Island Crossing, they drove to California and flew to his next duty station in Honolulu, Hawaii where they had an apartment on Waikiki Beach for a year until they left the Navy.

After a vacation back to Decorah, Arlyne and George took over the family farm, which was homesteaded by George's maternal grandfather in 1936. The couple operated the dairy farm for 33 years.

Arlyne passed away on Saturday, April 16, 1988 at Everett, WA. She is survived by her husband, George, two sons, Robert, who now operated the family farm at home, and Bruce, who is an officer with Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission stationed in Kelso. Arlyne, has a sister, Evelyn in Decorah, Iowa and a brother Robert in Los Angeles, CA. She leaves behind her grandchildren, Amy, Aaron, Bobby, Angela, Kellie and Charlene. There are numerous nieces and nephews.

Arlyne was active in the work of Peace Lutheran Church, the Church women's groups, and as a member of the church choir for many years. She also took part in many local charitable and community events. She belonged to the Cinderella's Women's Auxiliary of the Silvana Fire Dept., and had been active with the Snohomish County Dairy Wives.

Travel was one of Arlyne's favorite pass times. Arlyne and George toured extensively in later years. She especially enjoyed an extended trip to the Low Countries of Europe in 1984. Arlyne was always quick to make friends and some of the Grimm's lasting friendships were gained through travel. She was fond of touring in the Grimm's various Model T' Fords with the Puget Sound Model T Ford Club of America.

We will miss Arlyne as a wife, mother, grandmother, and friend. She knew that she had a good friend in Jesus and kept the church as a big part of her life. Her soul is at rest now until someday we, at the mercy of God, meet this fine woman again.

Family Members


  • Created by: Lokin4Sun
  • Added: 25 Jul 2007
  • Find A Grave Memorial 20632067
  • Lokin4Sun
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Arlyne Marian Haugen Grimm (17 Feb 1918–16 Apr 1988), Find A Grave Memorial no. 20632067, citing Zion Lutheran Cemetery, Stanwood, Snohomish County, Washington, USA ; Maintained by Lokin4Sun (contributor 46924616) .