Bemsle (q.v. Benslee, Bemsley) Peters, s. of John, b. of record in Hebron, Conn. Nov. 1, 1743 and died in Kingston, Canada. Secondary sources claim he died there Oct. 16, 1798. His cenotaph inscription is at the bottom of his widow Annis (Shipman) Peters' standing gravestone, partially obscured by blackened rain trails. The 1934 Hale Conn. Cemetery database reading of his inscription misread the bottom line "Kingston, U.C." as "Kingston, N.C."
On May 24, 1762 of record at Hebron, Bemsle m. Annis Shipmen, a twin dau. of Dr. Samuel and Martha (Shipman) Shipman, b. of record in Hebron Oct. 15, 1739 and d. in Hebron Jan. 12, 1819, Æ 79 (g.s.). They had seven children b. of record in Hebron (surname Peters):
• i. Clarinda, b. Nov. 27, 1762, d. in Hebron Sept. 1, 1810 (g.s.); m. Oct. 24, 1792 of record in Hebron her 1st cousin, Thomas Welles, 3rd, s. of Thomas Welles (q.v. Wells), Jr. and his 2nd wife Prudence Shipman, latter Annis (Shipman) Peters' sister. One child of the marriage, Gen. Andrew Welles.
• ii. Annis, b. Mar. 3, 1765, purportedly d. July 16, 1802 in Ballston, Saratoga County, NY as the wife of Ezekiel Horton.
• iii. Bemsle, b. July 21, 1767, d. in youth Nov. 5, 1775 (g.s.).
• iv. Desdemona, b. Apr. 29, 1770, purportedly d. Nov. 5, 1841 in Verona, Oneida County, NY; purportedly m. before 1791, Lemuel Pease, Jr., s. of Lemuel Pease and Elizabeth Norton, b. circa 1767 in Edgartown, Dukes County (Martha's Vineyard), MA. He purportedly d. July 4, 1835 in Ballston, NY.
• v. John Samuel, 26th Gov. of Conn., b. Sept. 21, 1772; never married and d. testate in Hebron Mar. 30, 1858. The provisions of his will, which include ownership of his famous brick house and farm by his grand nephew John Samuel Welles (gr. son of his sister Clarinda) upon the death of the governor's unmarried sister Martha, confirms the actual trail of the ownership of the governor's famous house after his death and well into the 19th century.
• vi. Mary Martha (q.v. simply Martha), b. Dec. 6, 1774; d. unmarried in Hebron Mar. 18, 1864.
• vii. Bemsle, Jr., b. Apr. 28, 1777; purportedly m. "Christya McIntyre" and d. May 6, 1841 in Ballston, NY.
Annis Shipman Peters
1739–1819 (m. 1762)