The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

Suggest Edits
 Kelsey Ann Smith

Photo added by in loving memory of...

Kelsey Ann Smith

  • Birth 3 May 1989 Overland Park, Johnson County, Kansas, USA
  • Death 2 Jun 2007 Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri, USA
  • Burial Overland Park, Johnson County, Kansas, USA
  • Memorial ID 19751202

From Kelsey's first day to her last, she lived life to the fullest extent. Kelsey's love for her family and her friends was evident in all that she did. She graduated from Shawnee Mission West High School on May 24, 2007, and was looking forward to attending K-State in the fall. She was known to have a highly outgoing personality whose stock line to anyone telling her she couldn't do something was, "You wanna bet?" "She could walk into a room of strangers and walk out with a room full of friends. Her excitement and passion for life was unmatched. She lived more in 18 years than many people do with a great deal more time" said her father Greg Smith. Kelsey was active in marching band, choir and theatre. Her fabulous sense of humor and fun-loving personality will be missed. Kelsey leaves behind her parents, Greg and Missey, her sisters and brother, Stephanie (Stevie), Lindsey, Dakota (Codie), and Zach, her beloved boyfriend, John Biersmith, her paternal grandparents, David and Pat Smith of Overland Park, maternal grandparents, Elbert Haynes of Des Moines, Iowa, Lucille Sigler of Kingsland, Ga., aunts and uncles, Shannon Smith, Melody and Weston Whitten, Shellie Hillis, Rhonda and Bob Roach and Tim Sigler, and many cousins.

Kelsey Smith received national media attention in June 2007 when she was forcibly abducted at a Target department store near her home in Overland Park, Kansas after making gift purchases. Security cameras recorded her entering and leaving the store, as well as recording the entering and leaving of her accused abductor Edwin Hall. As Kelsey Smith was preparing to leave the parking lot of Target, security cameras recorded her attacker as he rushed her and forced her into her vehicle. These recordings ultimately led to the arrest of her accused attacker. She was found dead four days later during a massive search near Grandview, Missouri. The massive media attention of Kelsey's abduction and murder produced a nationwide outpouring of grief among those who closely followed the story.