Ron-Ton-Dee (or Warpole)

Ron-Ton-Dee (or Warpole)

Death 1843 (aged 67–68)
Burial Kansas City, Wyandotte County, Kansas, USA
Memorial ID 17266134 · View Source
Suggest Edits

1812 March 20; birth of George Wright, Wyandot. His mother Elizabeth, daughter of a Delaware and a slave from Guinea, was purchased from the Delaware by Rontondee in 1800 and adopted. His father is a St. Regis Seneca.

1825 In the summer, death of De-un-quot, the last hereditary Head Chief of the Wyandot Nation and a leader of traditionalist opposition to the Methodist mission. Rontondee is elected Head Chief at Upper Sandusky.

1831 August 8; Black Hoof having died at about the age of 90, the 400 Shawnee remaining in Ohio at Wapaughkonetta and Hog Creek sign a treaty with Special Commissioner James B. Gardiner and Indian Agent John McElvain agreeing to move
to Kansas. Their remaining lands in Ohio - three tracts totalling 145 square miles - are ceded to the U.S. In return, they are to be granted 100,000 acres by patent in fee simple within the larger Shawnee Reserve, together with a saw mill, grist mill and blacksmith shop. The U.S. will defray the expenses of removal and provide one year's support after arrival. They are also to receive a cash advance of $13,000, payment for any chattel property they cannot take, and an annuity of 5% of the principal realized from the sale of their Ohio lands. The Wyandot chief Rontondee is a witness, and becomes the leading advocate of
removal among the Wyandots.

1838 In late August, a delegation of three traditionalist Wyandots - Rontondee, James Washington and John Porcupine - travels to Washington to promote a separate removal agreement.

September 10; Congressman Hunter writes to Commissioner of Indian Affairs Carey A. Harris that he has been unable to reconcile the Wyandot factions. Rontondee's actions have complicated matters.

In late September the traditionalist Wyandot delegation returns to Upper Sandusky. A report to the tribal council turns into an angry confrontation. The three are arrested after Rontondee draws a knife, and spend a short period in

October 23; Rontondee and 10 members of his faction petition President Van Buren for a separate removal treaty.

November 3; Rontondee's faction asks for permission to go to Washington for treaty negotiations.

1839 January 30; one John Thompson writes to Commissioner of Indian Affairs Crawford from Columbus, Ohio, that, "...a respectable portion of the Wyandots want to move West" in the coming season. Their head man, chosen according to
their old customs, is Warpole (Rontondee). The playing of Wyandot against Wyandot continues.

In September, Rontondee again travels to Washington, D.C. to promote Wyandot removal, accompanied by Joseph McCutcheon.

1843 November 17; death of Rontondee, or Warpole, onetime Head Chief of the Wyandot Nation and principal advocate of Wyandot removal, at the age of 68. He
is buried in the Huron Indian Cemetery.



  • Created by: David M. Habben
  • Added: 2 Jan 2007
  • Find a Grave Memorial 17266134
  • Find a Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Ron-Ton-Dee (or Warpole) (1775–1843), Find a Grave Memorial no. 17266134, citing Huron Indian Cemetery, Kansas City, Wyandotte County, Kansas, USA ; Maintained by David M. Habben (contributor 835) .