Artemus W. Ogletree

Artemus W. Ogletree

Florida, USA
Death 4 Jan 1935 (aged 19–20)
Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri, USA
Burial Kansas City, Wyandotte County, Kansas, USA
Memorial ID 172315577 · View Source
Suggest Edits

The "love forever" killing of Artemus Ogletree.
Investigators said he also used the names, Roland T. Owen and Eugene K. Scott and gave his city of residence as Los Angeles. He also used the names, Duncan Ogletree and Cecil Werner.

The body that was identified as Artemus Ogletree was said by some investigators to be a man at least 30 years of age.

His age was listed in reports as 17, 19, 20, 25, 30.

He was described as being "about 20 to 25 years old; 5 feet 10; weighed 180 pounds, had blue eyes and bushy brown hair." He had a large, white scar on the left side of his head. He combed his hair over it to conceal the scar. The scar was wedge-shaped, four and one-half inches across the base above the left ear.

Artemus Ogletree, age 19, was found nude in room 1046 of "Hotel President" by a bellboy named Randolph Propst . The teen's mother, Mrs. L.E. Ogletree was prostrate with grief after her son's body was identified.

He was survived by his parents, Mr. & Mrs. L.E. Ogletree of Birmingham, Alabama. He was also survived by his brother and sister, Edward and Eleanor Ogletree of the home.

In August of 1935, Mrs. Ogletree received a telephone call from a man in Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee. The caller advised Mrs. Ogletree that her son was in Cairo, Egypt, unable to write because he had lost a thumb in a fight in which he saved the caller's life.

Mrs. Ogletree said the man "talked wildly", but had knowledge of her son.

After investigators checked with steamship and consular authorities in Cairo, Egypt, they failed to locate a trace of young Artemus Ogletree and subsequently the case was reported to J. Edgard Hoover, head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Four months after her son's death, the grief-stricken mother received two type-written letters, announcing that he was "sailing" for Europe. She was suspicious because she knew her son had never used a typewriter.

For eleven weeks his body lay in a funeral home in Kansas City while police sought to unravel the mystery surrounding his tragic death.

Just before the funeral, a call came was received requesting that the body be interred in the "specific cemetery". The caller sent money by "special delivery letter" for the funeral and burial.

Later, 13 red roses arrived, bearing a card, inscribed with this message: "Love forever, Louise".

There are several other murders attached to this case. It's believed the other young, male victims were killed by the same man.

Known law enforcement officials who took part in the investigation of the murder are as follows:
Mr. J. Edgard Hoover, Director of the FBI; Detective Chief Thomas J. Higgins, Detective Sargeant Frank Howland, and Police Chief Luther Hollums.

Evidence: Artemus Ogletree registered at the "Hotel President" on January 2, 1935 , using the alias "Roland T. Owen".
1. He was found, mortally wounded, sitting on the side of a bathtub. Alternate information states he was found in bed, "dying" by a bellboy.

2. Artemus Ogletree was nude, had a stab wound over his heart, had been beaten, tortured and there was a cord tied around his neck and also extended to tie his wrists. The walls, floors, furniture and bed linen were splattered with blood. A chair was overturned and the telephone cord was dangling from the night stand. A chair was overturned.

3. There were knife wounds in his stomach, his wrists had been slashed and the back of his skull had been crushed.

4. All of Artemus Ogletree's belongings had been removed from the hotel room and the door was locked from the outside. Found in the room: A label from a necktie, a hairpin, a safety pin and an unsmoked cigarette.

5. A detective was summoned to the hotel room. Artemus was still conscious. When the detective questioned, "Who did this to you?" , the young man replied, "Nobody". "What's your name?".
Unitelligible response. "Who was here with you?" Response: "Nobody". "How did you get hurt?" Response: "I fell against the bathtub". "Did you try to commit suicide?". Response: "No".

5. Artemus Ogletree died a few hours later at General Hospital in Missouri without regaining consciousness.

6. The man (Artemus Ogletree) who was NOT Roland T. Owen (but used that alias), was the first of 74 murder victims in Kansas City [Missouri or Alabama] that year and one of 16 that was not solved by the end of the year.

7. Artemus Ogletree is listed as being buried in Kansas City, Walker County, Alabama cemetery. He is also listed as being interred at Green Lawn Cemetery, Kansas City, Missouri.

Description: Artemus Ogletree was 5'11" and weighed 180 lbs. He was muscular and a very handsome lad.

Note various spellings of middle name on records are as follows: Artemus, Artemis, Artemas, Artimis.
First name: "W".

Note: Locations of birth for Artemus(sic) Ogletree are listed as: Alabama, Florida, Georgia.

Family Members

Sponsored by Ancestry



  • Created by: Forensic Genealogist & Investigator
  • Added: 6 Nov 2016
  • Find A Grave Memorial 172315577
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Artemus W. Ogletree (1915–4 Jan 1935), Find A Grave Memorial no. 172315577, citing Memorial Park Cemetery, Kansas City, Wyandotte County, Kansas, USA ; Maintained by Forensic Genealogist & Investigator (contributor 48902849) .