August Neukirch


August Neukirch

Death 1919 (aged 75–76)
Burial Freedom, Woods County, Oklahoma, USA
Memorial ID 16453655 View Source

August married Mary Handorf; Eight children were born to them, Four died in infancy. The four that survived were, Fred, August, John and Henry.
John married Nola Dody
Henry married Gladys Tucker
Fred married Ivy Pipig
The following was prepared by August's son Henry. Fred Neukirch is my Mother's Father.

Prepared by: Henry Neukirch in approximately 1976
Updated by: Roger W. Hall in May 2005

My father, August Neukirch was born in Prussia Germany. He came to America at the age of twenty-one. He had served as a Calvary Man in the French & German War of 1870 and 1871 where he was wounded. He later became a sailor and crossed the ocean 450 times. He married Mary Handorf, who was born in Magenburg, German. She and her parents came to America when she was sixteen years of age. They came by sail boat and it took three months to cross the ocean. To this union eight children were born, four died in infancy. The four that survived was Fred, born October 29, 1879 – August, born October 29, 1879 – August, born December 8, 1881 – John, born April 14, 1890 and Henry, born January 18, 1892. The family moved from Chicago to Woodson County Kansas and lived there seven years. The family then moved to Butler County Kansas sixteen miles northeast of El Dorado Kansas where they lived for seven years. From here they moved to a farm they bought southeast of Marion Center Kansas. It was here at this date that Fred married Ivy Pippig at Cassoday Kansas by Reverend Cameron. Eleven children were born to this union. They settled on the George Ellis farm southwest of Cassoday Kansas where Fred and his brother August were in partnership.

The German people were great to colonize and the group decided to go to Beaver County Oklahoma. We got as far as Lookout, Oklahoma and stopped to visit relatives who talked them into buying the old home place one-half mile east of the old Lookout, store. They paid two thousand dollars for it. We all went back to Marion Center, sold our home there for five thousand five hundred dollars, had a sale and sold every thing but two wagons and two teams of horses. Then they loaded all their belongings in the two covered wagons and started for Lookout, Oklahoma. We got as far a Lewis Kansas and had to lay over four days because of a big snow storm. When we got ready to travel again, one of our horses got sick. We were camped at a Veterinary’s home and he doctored the horse the best he could. The next morning the horse wasn’t able to travel so the veterinary suggested that we just take one wagon and three horses and leave the sick horse and one wagon there with him. We did this and the man gave us our breakfast and we were on our way. We arrived at our farm at Lookout safely a day before Thanksgiving. About a week later Father and John returned to get the other wagon and horse. The horse was well when they arrived. The man tended and fed the horse all that time and would not take any pay for his service. He told father what he had done for him to do for someone else in need, and that would pay the debt. In the spring of 1907 father bought a riding lister and we planted forty acres of corn which made forty-five bushels per acre.

On April 10, 1917 John volunteered and joined the United States Army, and on August 5, 1917 I (Henry) was drafted and served in the Infantry. I was sent to California, did all my training in two and on-half months, then was sent to Camp Mill, New York, got my over seas equipment and our Company (A) was sent to Hobocken, New York and was loaded on the Finloyn Boat. We were there two days and nights. We couldn’t unroll our pack because we might have to go on the spur of the moment, all of this was hard to take but it was orders. On the 11th day of November the war was over, and such a jubilee, one couldn’t drive through the streets as they threw mattresses, pillows, chairs, bedding and you name it. Then I had to do Guard Duty in Brooklyn for three months, or until the fifth day of March. Word came that Father was not going to live very long so I took it up with the Commanding Officer. He asked how old my father was and his condition, and the next day I was up for discharge. I was very glad to get to go home, and what a home it was. Father passed away August 5, 1919. Then mother passed away two years later.

My brother August came to Oklahoma in 1907 and bought a place ten miles northeast of Lookout. Later he bought the place where the old Lookout store was located. In 1922 John married Nola Doty. To this union three children were born.

Fred and family came to Oklahoma in 1920 and settled on a farm northwest of Lookout.

On June 12, 1940 I married Gladys Tucker, we lived on the farm until 1950 then we moved to Alva Oklahoma. We lived there until 1961 when we bought a home at Woodward Oklahoma where I now live. Gladys passed away July 2, 1976.

Fred, August and John have all passed on.




Family Members



In their memory
Plant Memorial Trees

Sponsored by Ancestry