Martin Irving Aitken was baptized 31 March 1824 in Deeping St. James, Lincolnshire England, son of Scottish parents, Andrew Aitken and Christina Walker. He married Agnes Edie, daughter of Robert Edie and Margaret Aitken. Agnes was born 16 March 1827 in Monimail, Fifeshire.
Martin and a brother, Andrew, owned a Flax Mill in Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire and later a second flax mill in Surfleet, Lincolnshire.
Martin and his family moved to Springfield, Manitoba in 1880 and settled near Edie families, cousins of his wife. He died 20 June 1889 and Agnes died 15 March 1898, both in Millbrook, Springfield, Manitoba.
Family of Martin and Agnes:
1. Margaret Christina b abt 1855 and died 29 Dec 1899. She married George Spencer. No Issue
2. Robert Edie b 1856 and drowned at Lincolnshire 28 Jan. 1873
3. Martin born 29 May 1857 and died 11 Oct 1925. He married widow Mrs. Margaret Henrietta Milne
4. Jessie Hay born 2 June 1860 and died 14 April 1911 Nose Creek, Alberta. She married Mr. James Stephens Huggard. They had issue.
5. Charles born 1863. He lived in Washington State and married divorced, Mabel Sager, Mrs. Hannah. They had a daughter Agnes b Aug. 1899
6. Andrew born 18 Jan. 1867 and died 17 Dec. 1946 in Vancouver. He married Mary Janet Murray. They had issue.
7. George Edie born 27 Nov. 1868 and died 27 Mar. 1952 in Vancouver. No issue
8. Effie Agnes born 1871 died 1899 in Alberta. No issue.
Agnes Edie Aitken