The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

CPO Arthur Raymond Fischer

CPO Arthur Raymond Fischer

Newark, Essex County, New Jersey, USA
Death 4 Apr 2016 (aged 91)
Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii, USA
Burial Cremated, Ashes given to family or friend
Memorial ID 161007524 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Published in The Skagit Valley Herald, Mount Vernon, WA April 14, 2016

August 15, 1924 - April 4, 2016

Chief Petty Officer Arthur Raymond Fischer, US Navy retired, passed away at 91 on April 4, 2016 while on vacation with his family in Honolulu, Hawaii. He suffered a fall while at the Hale Koa in Waikiki and never regained consciousness. It was diagnosed as ventricular fibrillation. He passed after spending four days at the Queen Emma Hospital in Honolulu with his family by his side.

Arthur, son of Samuel and Anna Fischer, was born on August 15, 1924 in Newark, New Jersey. At the age of 17, Arthur joined the IJ.S. Navy in the spring of 1942. He went on to receive his basic training at the Naval Station Great Lakes training center before being sent to the west coast where he was assigned to the U.S.S. St. Louis.

Arthur remained on the U.S.S. St. Louis for the majority of WWII. Known as the "Lucky Lou" as it was the only large naval ship to make it out of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Once out to sea, it encountered a small Japanese submarine, which fired two torpedoes at the "Lucky Lou", both of which exploded on a coral reef. Returning fire, the St. Louis was able to sink the submarine.

Arthur joined the U.S.S. St. Louis in the South Pacific and fought in many battles including: the Battle of Guadalcanal; Okinawa, and the task force strikes against the Japanese homeland. After the end of the war, Arthur was one of a small group of men sent back to the States to receive training in the air traffic control unit. Following his training he was assigned to the U.S.S. Kearsarge, an aircraft carrier, where he was a member of the original crew. Arthur was then assigned to Shanghai, China where he worked in air traffic control until the fall of the National government. Throughout the remainder of his life Arthur retained a sharp memory and could recall details of the battles, ships, crew members, and ports of call during the war.

For the remainder of his naval career, Arthur was stationed three times at the Whidbey Naval Station and twice at the U.S. Naval Station in Kodiak, Alaska. During his second deployment at Whidbey, he met his wife, Georgia Silvernail. They were married on March 23, 1957. A few months later found Art and Georgia living in Kodiak as Arthur was reassigned to Alaska. While there they welcomed their first child Steven Arthur. Upon their return to Whidbey Naval Station in late 1959, they made their home in Anacortes while building a home in the Dewey Beach area. In 1960, another son Gary Scott was born at the Naval Hospital on Whidbey Island. Arthur retired from the U.S. Navy in 1964.

Arthur bought a share at the Anacortes Veneer Plywood Mill and worked there until the close of the mill. In 1967, they welcomed a daughter, Dawn Suzanne. Following the close of the mill, he worked for a number of years at the Mount Baker mill in Bellingham. In 1986 Arthur retired from this mill.

He enjoyed fishing with his children on the local lakes, camping, maintaining his home and property, and traveling to the East coast to visit family and historic sites. He also enjoyed spending time traveling in the west, especially in Arizona He celebrated his 80th birthday while on a cruise to Alaska with his family.

Arthur was preceded in death by: his parents, Samuel and Anna, and brothers Albert and Louis.

Arthur is survived by his wife of 59 years, Georgia of Anacortes, son Steven Fischer-Torres (Eduardo) of Seattle, son Gary Fischer (Tina) of Lake Jackson Texas, and daughter Dawn Fischer-Blanton (Michael) of Anacortes. He was also blessed with one grandchild, Samuel Fischer-Blanton. He is also survived by a cousin Bill Corey (Katie), a sister-in-law Lorene Pevoto and numerous nieces and nephews.

Arthur was a kind and loving man who will be dearly missed by all who knew him.

His remains were cremated so he could be brought home.

A memorial service will be held on a later date at Evans Funeral Home in Anacortes.

To share memories of Art, please sign the online guest register at


See more Fischer memorials in:



  • Created by: Peggy Frost
  • Added: 14 Apr 2016
  • Find A Grave Memorial 161007524
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for CPO Arthur Raymond Fischer (15 Aug 1924–4 Apr 2016), Find A Grave Memorial no. 161007524, ; Maintained by Peggy Frost (contributor 47796296) Cremated, Ashes given to family or friend.