Pvt Anson Buxton

Pvt Anson Buxton

Death 25 Apr 1930 (aged 83)
New Hampshire, USA
Burial Bristol, Grafton County, New Hampshire, USA
Plot Sec. A, Lot 132, Grave 1
Memorial ID 15922094 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Anson Buxton

Residence Bennington VT;
Enlisted on 3/25/1864 as a Private.
On 4/12/1864 he mustered into "E" Co. VT 17th Infantry
He was Mustered Out on 7/14/1865 at Washington, DC
He was listed as: Wounded 5/12/1864 Spotsylvania Court House, VA

Anson Buxton was born in Worcester, Massachusetts on March 18, 1847, the son of Simeon Bentley and Caroline Boyden (Bullard) Buxton. He had three older brothers: William, John, and Harris. His twin Albert died in infancy. The family moved to Rutland, Vermont by 1855, and then to Montpelier, where Simeon had a large foundry on the Winooski River. The boys had many duties at the foundry, and were learning to be machinists. By 1862, John had enlisted twice, and Harris had just enlisted, so Anson joined also. He enlisted at Dummerston in Co F, 2nd Vermont Infantry on August 21, 1862 as a private. Anson claimed he was eighteen, but he was only 5 feet 3 1/2 inches tall. The officers, noting his extreme youth, called him "Creeper". He was made an orderly to Col. Henry Whiting, who was the brigade commander. Whiting was from Michigan, and a professional soldier. Being on the outside of Vermont military politics, Whiting's request for a promotion was denied. Anson and the family always referred to him as "The General".

After the disaster at Fredericksburg and Burnside's Mud March, Whiting resigned, and returned to his home and family in Michigan. He had kept a fatherly eye on Anson, and hearing that Anson's parents had separated, wanted to adopt him, without success. On February 14, 1863, the surgeon wrote a disability discharge, stating that Anson was "unable to perform the duties of a soldier", due to "tender age and small size. His real age is but fifteen years."

By 1864 Anson had grown to 5 feet 8 inches tall. He enlisted at Bennington in Co E, 17th Vermont Infantry as a private on March 25. He was seventeen, with blue eyes and sandy hair. The 17th was mustered on April 12, and assigned to Burnside's Ninth Corps. Anson fought at the Wilderness and Spotsylvania. He was wounded in the right side by a piece of shell during the Assault on the Salient on May 12, 1864. He was moved from Belle Plain to Finley Hospital in Washington, and a hospital in Montpelier. He returned to his regiment in April 1865 and was discharged near Alexandria, Virginia on July 14.

After the war Anson returned to Vermont, where he worked in the shops of the Vermont Central Railroad at St. Albans, and at Blood's Locomotive Works. He married Hattie AdelIa Clough, of Strafford, Vermont on April 25, 1870. They had six children. In 1883 Anson bought a house and blacksmith shop in Bristol, New Hampshire. He was a happy man who enjoyed his work, his friends, and his family. He also had a small farm on nearby Newfound Lake, where he grew hay, cut firewood, and went fishing with his sons.

By 1929 Anson was among the last of the 2nd and 17th regiments, and the last Civil War veteran in Bristol. In a letter, he wrote of both serious and amusing sides of this situation - "A Vet in the Pulpit." At last, he too passed away, dying in Bristol on April 25, 1930 - his 60th wedding anniversary. He is buried in Homeland Cemetery.

Sources: http://www.civilwardata.com/active/hdsquery.dll?SoldierHistory?U&704134

Family Members

Sponsored by Ancestry



  • Maintained by: Find A Grave
  • Originally Created by: Bev
  • Added: 28 Sep 2006
  • Find A Grave Memorial 15922094
  • Find A Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com : accessed ), memorial page for Pvt Anson Buxton (18 Mar 1847–25 Apr 1930), Find A Grave Memorial no. 15922094, citing Homeland Cemetery, Bristol, Grafton County, New Hampshire, USA ; Maintained by Find A Grave (contributor 8) .