The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Alva Curtis

Alva Curtis

Aurora, Sevier County, Utah, USA
Death 13 Oct 1961 (aged 75)
South Salt Lake, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA
Burial Sandy, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA
Plot Garden of the Last Supper, Section 36, Lot D, Space 4
Memorial ID 15617825 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Alva is my great-great-uncle.
Alva Curtis was born Tuesday, June 22, 1886 in Aurora, Utah and was the eldest son of John Franklin Curtis and Sarah Elizabeth Broadhead.

Alva married Myreel Potter on August 17, 1921 in the Salt Lake Temple. After a honeymoon at Yellowstone National Park, they moved into her mother's home at 2599 South Green Street (640 East) in the Sugar House neighborhood of Salt Lake City.

Soon after their daughter, Jean, was born, Alva and his brother, Ruel, went to Kenilworth, Carbon County, to work in the coal mines. Alva sent for Myreel and Jean to come and they lived there all winter in a tent between two railroad tracks. The living conditions were very disagreeable, but they got along fine and had good health.

On October 15, 1955, at 12:00 p.m., Myreel fell off a ladder while washing windows and died twelve hours later. She was pregnant at the time with twin boys. They had eight children: Jean, Richard Alva, Gordon Alva, Marilyn, Gloria Mae, Gerald Don, Sarah Nadine, David Lynn.

In 1920, he moved to the Salt Lake Valley, where he lived for forty-one years. From 1923 until 1924, he resided at 36 North K Street (737 East) in The Avenues neighborhood of Salt Lake City. From 1924 until 1927, he resided at 863 East 100 South in the Downtown district of Salt Lake City. From 1927 until 1928, he resided at 140 East Capitol Boulevard (200 North) in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Salt Lake City. From 1928 until his death, he resided at 603 East Springview Drive (3190 South) in South Salt Lake.

He was educated in Aurora and attended Brigham Young University and the University of Utah, majoring in mathematics. He was a founding member of the Sevier County Drainage District and served as secretary on the original board of supervisors until he resigned his position on September 3, 1918 to work for the United States Government.

He served in the U.S. Army Medical Corp during the First World War from 1918-1919. From 1916 until he joined the Army, he was a successful carpenter and farmer.

Shortly after returning home, he had a very severe case of appendicitis from which he nearly lost his life. He was laid up for two months and had to quit farming as he was unable to ride the machinery over the rough ground, so he sold his share of the farm and went into the grocery business with his brother-in-law, A.B. Christensen. This business was not very successful.

In 1922, he went to Salt Lake City and found work at the Utah Sand and Gravel Company. While there he had a very serious accident. He was working on the hoist pulling gravel into a hopper and a big rock came in which was too large to go through the gate. He went over to roll it off. As he started to roll it, the man underneath opened the gate. The rock rolled back on his feet and pulled him down with it. He was buried alive in the gravel. They got help there and dug off the gravel by another gate until they got him out. He was not very seriously hurt with the exception of bruises and scratches. He continued to work there for the next eight years.

From 1930 until his death, he was a highly successful interior decorator and painter in Salt Lake County. A lifelong member of the Republican Party, he was a longtime subscriber to the Deseret News.

A member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, he served on the Sevier Stake Sunday School Board. He spent many years in the Aurora Ward M.I.A. and was senior president of two quorums of Seventy's for more than eighteen years. He served as a group leader of the High Priests, and worked with the Senior Aaronic Priesthood. He served in the Northwestern States Mission from June 7, 1905 to August 20, 1907. He also filled two missions in the Grant Stake, one for six months and one for two years. He was a member of the Nibley Park Ward, Salt Lake Twenty-First Ward, Salt Lake Eleventh Ward, Salt Lake Fourteenth Ward, and Grant Tenth Ward.

On Friday, October 13, 1961, at 1:00 p.m., Alva passed away peacefully at his home of natural causes.

Funeral Services were held on Wednesday, October 18, 1961 at 12:00 p.m. in the Grant Tenth Ward Chapel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints located at 2952 South 700 East in Millcreek. A viewing was held on Tuesday, October 17, 1961 from 6:00 until 8:00 p.m. at Deseret Mortuary located at 36 East 700 South in Salt Lake City, and at the Church two hours prior to the services.
Alva was laid to rest following the conclusion of the Funeral Services at Memorial Gardens of the Valley (now Larkin Sunset Gardens Cemetery) in Sandy.

Family Members





  • Created by: Ryan D. Curtis
  • Added: 4 Sep 2006
  • Find A Grave Memorial 15617825
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Alva Curtis (22 Jun 1886–13 Oct 1961), Find A Grave Memorial no. 15617825, citing Larkin Sunset Gardens Cemetery, Sandy, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA ; Maintained by Ryan D. Curtis (contributor 46858513) .