Brent T. “Shiny” Curtis

Photo added by Ryan D. Curtis

Brent T. “Shiny” Curtis

Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA
Death 23 Dec 1999 (aged 66)
Murray, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA
Burial West Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA
Plot Garden of Meditation, Lot 241, Space D-1 (Brent and Shirley Curtis Family Plot)
Memorial ID 15404266 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Brent T. Curtis was born Monday, November 6, 1933 at 11:20 p.m. at Holy Cross Hospital in The Avenues neighborhood of Salt Lake City to Truman Curtis and Lauretta Ruth Jensen. He grew up in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Salt Lake City and attended West High School.

His father, Truman, was a male nurse for Salt Lake County. He broke his back while falling down a flight of stairs when Grandpa was young and he had to learn early in life to help around the house. He had to fill up the coal bucket twice a day, weed, cut the lawns, etc. Times were tough for the family. Most birthdays consisted of an orange or an apple and maybe a car. When Grandpa was about ten years old, he received a bicycle. It had no fenders on it and was stolen a few months later. You didn't realize you were poor because everyone was in a similar situation. Grandpa felt that World War II was harder than the Great Depression because everything was rationed...even if you had money to pay for it, you couldn't get what you wanted.

He mentioned that his father had a 1931 Model T that sat in the driveway because they couldn't get gas for it. World War II made a tremendous impact on Grandpa's life. He recalled going on scrap metal drives with a couple of his friends and then donating the metal to The United States Government for the war effort. His picture appeared in the newspaper for his efforts twice. He also recalled how he used to sell the Sunday edition of the San Francisco Chronicle in downtown bars on Saturdays. The cost was a nickel but he usually received a dime for them because the customer felt good after a few drinks.

Grandpa also recalled how Great-Grandma Curtis used a coal stove to cook on, and was still cooking on a coal stove when he was married to Shirley Danielsen from Salt Lake City on February 13, 1954 at The Salt Lake City and County Building in Salt Lake City. They had been engaged for three years and wanted to be married on Valentine's Day but the courts were closed because Valentine's Day fell on a Sunday. They were married on February 13th instead.

They had a hard time convincing Great-Grandma Danielsen that they were going to get married. She finally got the message when they headed out the door. They waited for her to get ready. Both Great-Grandpa Curtis and Great-Grandpa Danielsen wouldn't go and stayed home to watch television. When they got to the court to fill out the paperwork, Grandpa couldn't remember his mother's first name and had to stop and ask her what it was so they could complete the application. She wasn't very happy about it. Aunt Royce as Grandma's Matron of Honor and Oz Brainich was Grandpa's best man. Great-Grandma Curtis and Great-Grandma Danielsen were witnesses.

They were married nearly forty-six years. Grandpa was unemployed at the time they were married and Grandma was working at Walker Bank. From 1954 until 1959, they resided at 456 South Blair Street (357 East) in the Downtown district of Salt Lake City. From 1959 until 1960, they resided at 1355 South Edison Street (145 East) in the Liberty Wells neighborhood of Salt Lake City. In 1960, they moved to Murray City, a suburban community located about twelve miles south of Salt Lake City, and resided at 116 West 6480 South for nearly forty years.

Grandpa worked for Dover Elevators for over forty years as a repairman and was very talented at his job. He had to attend a special training session in Memphis, Tennessee a couple of years before he retired. One of the exercises they had to perform was to reset the door that had come off track. The exercise was supposed to take two hours to complete. Grandpa finished the task in thirty minutes. The instructor was astounded and checked his work and found it was correct. He asked him how he had done it so fast. Grandpa taught the instructor how to reset the door. They then taught the entire class how to reset doors Grandpa's way. He was very proud of that.

While repairing elevators at the Utah State Capitol Building over the years, he was able to meet three Utah Governors: Cal Rampton, Scott Matheson, and Norm Bangerter. He owned and operated a bar on State Street in Murray for several years.

Grandpa was an honest man. One night while he was working in Wyoming he stopped for a sandwich and a Pepsi in a bar. It was the only establishment open at 2:00 a.m. and as he was going into the bar a customer was leaving. He staggered past Grandpa and got into his truck and left. Grandpa was in the bar for about fifteen minutes and when he left he found a money clip on the ground. He knew it had to belong to the customer that was leaving when he arrived at the bar. There were only initials on the money clip.

He backtracked and after about forty-five minutes he caught up with the guy. He managed to convince the guy to pull over and explained the situation to him. They guy identified the money clip and counted the money. There was $1,150 in it. The guy then drove off without saying thanks or anything. Grandpa knew that he did the right thing and never had regrets or second thoughts about returning the money.

Grandpa had an avid interest in yard work. He won honorable mention in the civic beautification award in Murray City for several years. He also had a passion for bowling. He bowled in two leagues the day he died. He had bowled in several leagues in the Salt Lake Valley for almost forty years and was well-known and well-liked.

He was carrying an average of 178-185 his last year. He had several six hundred series and had an all-spare game to his credit. In 1998, he had a 146 triplet. He also loved to play Pinochle. Grandpa was a card-carrying member of the Bald Headed Men of America. He enjoyed sports, and was a fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Utah Jazz, and Green Bay Packers.

He enjoyed camping, hunting, fishing, and traveling throughout the Western United States. He always enjoyed going hunting with his brothers every October in the Uinta Mountains and near his property in Fairview Canyon. Grandpa was a lifelong member of the Democratic Party and a strong supporter of unions. He loved watching movies and television, especially comedies and westerns. Grandpa had a wonderful sense of humor. He appreciated a good joke and enjoyed life and all around him. He will be missed.

Grandpa suffered a major heart attack on February 7, 1989 and was forced to take an early retirement. On Thursday, December 23, 1999, he suffered cardiac arrest at his home. He was taken to Cottonwood Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 7:14 p.m. He was only sixty-six years old.

At the time of his death, he was survived by his wife, Shirley; children, Dale (Christy) Curtis of West Valley City, Utah; David (Melonie) Curtis of Taylorsville, Utah; Robert (Terri) Curtis of Georgetown, Massachusetts; Pam (David) Coonradt of Kamas, Utah; Marc Curtis of Salt Lake City, Utah; Kimberly (D.J.) Shelton of Tooele, Utah; grandchildren, Ryan Curtis of West Valley City, Utah; Tiphanie, David, Michael, Kellie, Brendon, Angelica, and Leesa Curtis, all of Taylorsville, Utah; Melissa, Ben, and Rebecca Curtis, all of Georgetown, Massachusetts; Coby and Ashley Coonradt, both of Kamas, Utah; Travis and Shaelynn Shelton, both of Tooele, Utah; brothers Don K. (Beverly) Curtis of Kamas, Utah; Paul (Laurie) Curtis of Rancho Cucamonga, California; brothers-in-law, Randy Mills of Mountain Ranch, California; Doyle (Linda) Danielsen of Arvada, Colorado; Dean Danielsen of Millcreek, Utah; Don Danielsen of Salt Lake City, Utah; sisters-in-law, Margene Peterson of Bountiful, Utah; Peggy Huntley of Bellingham, Washington; Lola Danielsen Parker of Phoenix, Arizona; Margaret Bult of Murray, Utah. He was preceded in death by his parents Truman and
Ruth Curtis; and sisters Jean Mills and Royce Nielsen.

At his request, no formal services were held.
A private graveside service was held on Friday, December 31, 1999 in the Redwood Memorial Estates Cemetery, where his ashes were interred.
A celebration of his life/New Year's Eve celebration was held at his home following the conclusion of the graveside services.

Family Members

  • Created by: Ryan D. Curtis
  • Added: 17 Aug 2006
  • Find A Grave Memorial 15404266
  • David Eastburn
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Brent T. “Shiny” Curtis (6 Nov 1933–23 Dec 1999), Find A Grave Memorial no. 15404266, citing Redwood Memorial Cemetery, West Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA ; Maintained by Ryan D. Curtis (contributor 46858513) .