Lauretta Ruth <I>Jensen</I> Curtis

Lauretta Ruth Jensen Curtis

Fountain Green, Sanpete County, Utah, USA
Death 15 Oct 1975 (aged 65)
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA
Burial West Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA
Plot Garden of Revelation, Lot 309, Space B-2
Memorial ID 15404243 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Lauretta Ruth Jensen was born Thursday, December 16, 1909 at home in Fountain Green, Utah, the daughter of Francis Loren Jensen and Laretta Carter.

She met and married Truman Curtis from Moroni on January 7, 1928 in Manti. They were sealed for time and all eternity on June 18, 1969 in the Salt Lake LDS Temple by President Selvoy J. Boyer. Truman preceded her in death on November 8, 1970. They were the parents of five children: Royce, Jean, Brent, Don, and Paul. At the time of her death, Ruth had twenty grandchildren and thirteen great-grandchildren.

Ruth enjoyed cooking, and was well-known for her chili and peanut butter fudge, recipes that are still used by her family today. From 1970 until her death, she worked at Deseret Industries in Murray. Ruth was an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, belonging to the Winder Eleventh Ward.

Ruth was a resident of Fountain Green until she moved to Salt Lake County following her marriage. Throughout their marriage, Truman and Loretta resided at 412 East 200 South, 124 South 600 East, 291 East South Temple Street, 262 Kenmar Place, 138 East 800 South, and 336 Owen Place, all of which were located in the Downtown district of Salt Lake City; 373 East 2100 South in the Liberty Wells neighborhood of Salt Lake City; 248 West 400 North in the Marmalade District of the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Salt Lake City; and 557 North Tiffany Court (235 West) in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Salt Lake City; as well as 461 South Blair Street (357 East) and 463 South Blair Street (357 East), both of which were located in the Downtown district of Salt Lake City. In 1967, they moved to 3581 South 700 East in Millcreek, where they resided for the rest of their lives.

In November 1967, Ruth underwent open heart surgery, which proved to be a defining moment in her life. "I was very frightened, so I came home and told my husband what Dr. [Ray] Green had said. I think he was just as scared as I was, but he explained to me what it was all about. I felt much better, but that night when I went to bed I prayed to God to please bring me through because my husband had a bad heart and a bad back and needed me very much," Ruth later wrote.

After entering the hospital, Ruth asked her husband to call his brothers, Eldred and Spence, who were elders in the Church. She asked them to pray for her. "The next day, I went to the operating room for eight hours. I think they prayed for me all those hours. I woke up, I was fine and I know that God was with me all through those eight hours."

She and Truman returned to the Church and later went through the temple with their son, Paul. "I am well now and working for the Church Welfare Program. I feel the Church and my religion every day. I lost my husband almost four years ago, but I feel that without the prayers that were said for me I never would have come through that operation as well as I did. I thank God every day for my life and my church," she concluded.

A breast cancer survivor, Ruth passed away at LDS Hospital in the Avenues neighborhood of Salt Lake City on Wednesday, October 15, 1975 at 6:50 a.m. of cardiac arrest and several other complications following cancer surgery. She was sixty-five years old.

Funeral services were held on Friday, October 17, 1975 at 10:00 a.m. in the Winder Eleventh Ward Chapel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints located at 951 East 3825 South in Millcreek. A viewing was held on Thursday, October 16, 1975 from 6:00 until 8:00 p.m. at Memorial Estates Mortuary located at 5850 South 900 East in Murray, and one hour prior to the services at the church on Friday.
Following the conclusion of the funeral services, the funeral procession escorted Ruth's remains to the Redwood Memorial Estates Cemetery in Bennion (now Taylorsville), where she was interred beside her husband.

Summary of funeral services:
Funeral services were held under the direction of Michael J. Mazuran.
The family prayer was offered by Paul Curtis.
The prelude and postlude music was offered by Lillian Dittman.
The invocation was offered by Spencer Curtis.
Musical numbers performed included: "In The Garden," which was performed by Patricia Reeding and accompanied by Lila Fielden; "I Need Thee Every Hour," which was performed by Fritz A. Barthel, Earl Jackman, Gwen Jackman, and Eve Webb, and was accompanied by Mary Jensen; and "Sometime We'll Understand," which was performed by Patricia Reeding and accompanied by Lila Fielden.
Speakers included: Glen Olsen and Seymour J. Godfrey.
The benediction was offered by Bishop Michael J. Mazuran.
The grave was dedicated by Newell Jensen.
Pallbearers included: Gary Price, Kirk Allen, Rod McCaroll, Bob Olsen, Kenneth Curtis, and Don Curtis.

Family Members


Sponsored by Ancestry


Plan a visit to Redwood Memorial Cemetery?



  • Created by: Ryan D. Curtis
  • Added: 17 Aug 2006
  • Find A Grave Memorial 15404243
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Lauretta Ruth Jensen Curtis (16 Dec 1909–15 Oct 1975), Find A Grave Memorial no. 15404243, citing Redwood Memorial Cemetery, West Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA ; Maintained by Ryan D. Curtis (contributor 46858513) .