The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Raymond J. Akin

Raymond J. Akin

Death 1924 (aged 12-13)
Burial Chatham, Columbia County, New York, USA
Memorial ID 15122279 · View Source
Suggest Edits

The Chatham Courier, page 1
Thursday, January 17, 1924

Raymond Akin, aged twelve years, drowned Sunday in Lake Chatham

Skated into air hole in thin ice above spring

two companions, Afraid to go to his rescue because of dangerous condition of Ice-body in water one and one half hours- recovered by chief ward and Michael Lee.

Raymond Akin, twelve years old, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Akin of Chatham, was drowned in lake Chatham Sunday afternoon.

A short time previous he had gone to the lake with two companions, Martin Seipel and Stanley Cruden. The Akin and Seipel boys were skating and the cruden boy was sliding.

They were on what is generally known as the upper end of thelake in this section are the majority of the springs by which the lake is fed and for many years it has been known as a dangerous place to skate because of the many air holes in the ice above the springs.

The Akin boy told his companions he intended to skate to the ice house, several hundred feet distance. They advised against this but he insisted there was no danger and immediatly started. he had not gone more than 150 to 200 feet before the ice gave way beneath him and he disappeared under the water. He came up, grasped the edge of the ice and called for help. The seipel and Cruden boys were afraid to approach the spot where he had fallen in therefore they ran for help.

They went to the home of W.F. Salmon on Woodbridge avenue and Mr. Slamon telphoned Chief of police Frank Ward who went immediately to the lake and commenced preparations for recovering the body.

Several minutes were consumed in chopping away ice by which an old boat belonging to Mr. Ward was surrounded. Then the chief called for a volunteer to accompany him, explaining that there was more or less danger connected with the trip because of the leaky condition of the boat; Of the twenty-five or more spectators on the shore, Michael Lee was the only on to respond.

The boat was pushed along on the the ice until the ice began to break under the weight after which Ward and Lee got into the boat and , by breaking the ice, made their way to the place where the boy went down. Continuous bailing was required to keep the boat from foundering.

When the hole through which the Akin boy fell was reached, the body was seen, standing upright in the water, and somewhat more than a foot below the surface.

After it was recovered and placed in the boat, the return trip was commenced, those on shore assisting by means of a long rope which was attached to the boat. It was nearly 200 feet.

When the boat reached shore, the body was taken in charge by Corner A.P. Tripp and an examination was made by Dr. F.C. Maxon. Life was, of course, extinct, inasmuch as about one and one-half hours elapsed between the time the boy fell into the water and the time of the rescue.

The body was taken to the undertaking rooms of E.B. Fifford and son where it was prepared for burial.

The funeral was held Wednesda afternoon in the Lutheran church, the Rev. otto Voigt, pastor of the church, officiating. Schoolmates of the unfortuante boy acted as bearers. Interment was in the Chatham Rural Cemeter.

He is survived by his parents, two sisters and one brother.

Family Members




Gravesite Details Aikin plot





  • Maintained by: Culletto180
  • Originally Created by: Ev C.
  • Added: 2 Aug 2006
  • Find A Grave Memorial 15122279
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Raymond J. Akin (1911–1924), Find A Grave Memorial no. 15122279, citing Chatham Rural Cemetery, Chatham, Columbia County, New York, USA ; Maintained by Culletto180 (contributor 47018011) .