The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Charles Andrew Andersen

Charles Andrew Andersen

Mantua, Box Elder County, Utah, USA
Death 2 Jun 1939 (aged 58)
Brigham City, Box Elder County, Utah, USA
Burial Mantua, Box Elder County, Utah, USA
Plot 76, 3
Memorial ID 150924 · View Source
Suggest Edits

NOTE: Charles is connected to his spouse and also there is a duplicate memorial that was created Memorial# 27523580
that is also connected to him. The original memorial was created by the historical society in 2000.

History of Charles Andrew Andersen and Susannah Elizabeth Malmrose

Charles Andrew Andersen was born March 27,1881, in Mantua, Utah, a son of Rasmus and Caroline Christensen Andersen. Rasmus and Caroline were recent converts to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and had emigrated from Denmark in 1870 with their two children, Hans and Maria. They had come directly to Mantua to join friends already living in Utah.They had four more children after arriving in Utah. These children were Sophia, Richard, Charles Andrew, and Jimmie.

Charles completed all the schooling available in Mantua at that time in the old school house that later became the town's amusement hall.

On May 29,1901, he married Susannah Elizabeth Malmrose in the Salt Lake Temple. They settled in Mantua where they bought a small home and six acres of rich land.

Susannah was a beautiful woman two years older than Charles. She was born on Sept 15, 1879. Her parents were Bengt Erickson Malmrose and Augusta Amanda Olson from Sweden. She was a petite woman, five feet four inches tall, with an abundance of beautiful black hair, dark blue eyes, and a beautiful smile and dimples.

She was filled with youth and ambition and although she was small, she was full of determination. She and Charles became the parents of ten children: Pearl, Floyd, Clarence, Norman, Marguerite, Oscar, Bertha, Dorothy, Carl, and Lucile. Two of the boys died when they were young; Oscar at age two from scarlet fever and Norman at age eleven from heart trouble caused by the same decease. The other eight children grew to maturity, married and had families.

Susannah was a wonderful cook, and although the family didn't have a great variety in their diet, everything tasted superb. Many young girls came to her to learn to cook and sew.

Charles was a large and important looking man, over six feet tall and very straight. He weighed more than two hundred pounds, and was terribly strong and hard as a rock, He was always a hard worker, no matter what his occupation might be at the time. Early in his life he had been a hod carrier and plasterer for a man named Frank Earl. He had worked for different sheep outfits shearing and dipping sheep and helping with lambing. Later, he became a cement contractor, a fruit grower, a fruit peddler, a dairy farmer and a mail carrier.

Charles was very friendly to everybody and well liked by the entire community. He was active in the church and civic affairs in the Mantua valley. He was a member of the Mantua Ward and there he advanced through the priesthood as deacon, teacher, priest, elder, seventy, and high priest. In his later years he moved to Brigham City and became a member of the Sixth Ward until his death.

Charles served as president of the Mutual Improvement Association (MIA) and the Sunday school, and was a Mutual and religion class teacher at different times. He was a member of the religion class stake board and a ward teacher for many years. He was the lead bass singer in the ward choir and also served a full-time stake mission in Bear River City.

For many years Charles served on the town board and was chairman of the committee that was responsible for bringing electricity to town and the future water system also. He served as the town sexton, town assessor, and was the town constable and president and manager of the Mantua brass band, a famous small band noted for winning first place in the Peach Days parades in Brigham City He as a fluent and talented public speaker in both English and Danish and spent months giving speeches in different towns working for the organization of the State Farm Bureau.

Charles was also known as the Mantua berry man. He had two large patches of strawberries that yielded very heavily. The berries were picked by a group of young women from Brigham City, two of Susannah's sisters and four of their friends. They lived in a large tent out on the lawn, had a two--burner kerosene stove, orange crates for tables, and piles of fresh meadow hay to sleep on. Of course, Susannah was careful to see that they had plenty to eat, but they did their own cooking.

Later in the year, Charles hauled peaches, tomatoes, cantaloupes, and melons from Brigham City to Cache Valley. He was a good salesman and had many funny stories to tell. He had dozens of regular customers and many of the stores stocked up on his produce, especially during watermelon season.

In the fall and winter he was a cement contractor and laid rocks for wells and cesspools.

Charles was very fond of children and built an elaborate playground with a large swing, a teeter-totter, and a two-passenger merry-go-round. It made a great gathering place for the kids.

One of his sons recalled: "In the evenings dad sued to play the accordion while he and the girls sang. All had wonderful voices. Sometimes we all joined in. Other times Dad sang alone to entertain us, some songs in English, some in Danish, some funny, some sad. We enjoyed them all. He sang beautifully with the help of his trusty accordion. We were a happy family."

Charles' main source of recreation was with his favorite horse, Black Billy. He rode him to irrigate, to go to the store, or to the farm. He drove him on the single buggy or in the team on the surrey or on the covered wagon. He would ride him saddled or sometimes bare back with a rope. His other great love was flowers. He had a large and beautiful flower garden right next to the house and the well, which he tenderly cared for night and morning. The garden never suffered for lack of water, and there was never a weed. He never sold a flower, but gave them away to everyone for special occasions. He said that flowers teach us a good lesson. The more you pick and give away, the more beautiful they bloom and increase.

Charles was also a good prospector. He located five valuable mineral claims, most of them copper and manganese and one of honey onyx. The most valuable claims were incorporated under the laws of the State of Utah as the Iron Copper Mining and Milling Company and stock was sold at ten cents a share. The claims were worked extensively in the wintertime by Charles, his brother Chris and others. They took stock for pay.

Charles had a stroke late in the fall of 1920 when he was thirty-nine years old. He had been working very hard. He was completing the concrete work on the lower dam in Mantua, caring for the farm and the cows, and sitting up every second night with his father who was terribly ill. Floyd and Clarence, the older boys, were working in the grain fields in Idaho. He collapsed at his father's bedside and the doctors said he could not recover. Susannah said he could, and he did, although it took four years for him to do so.

He was unconscious for nearly a year and almost completely paralyzed. He was unable to talk, walk, or move around for a long time after he regained consciousness. As soon as he could get out of bed by himself, Susannah took him home and cared for him personally for the next year and a half. During that time he learned to walk and talk and feed himself, and slowly but surely he recovered. At the end of four long years, he was ready to tackle the world again. He never became a fluent speaker in English and never relearned Danish at all.

After his stroke, Charles applied for and received the contract to haul the mail between Mantua and Brigham City. He built a store next to his home for fast moving grocery items, candy, ice cream, etc. and put in two gas pumps in front of the store and sold gas and oil. He also started the Andersen Dairy Company and bottled and delivered all the milk produced on the farm to grocery stores and homes in Brigham City.

Susannah died of quick pneumonia on January 6, 1926. Charles never fully recovered. They had always been so close to each other and so much in love and he depended on her for so much. Although he lived for thirteen years after she died, living long enough to raise his family as he had been promised the Patriarch Denmark Jensen, he always needed Susannah and freely admitted it. When the mail contract expired, he decided he had had enough and sold the farm, the store and the house.

He moved to Brigham City and lived in a small home placed on his daughter's place so that she could take care of him.

Early in 1939, he had a second stroke and was bedridden at his son's home until he died on June 1, 1939

Children to this union

1. Pearl Susannah Andersen 1902 – 1969
2. Floyd Charles Andersen 1904 – 1989
3. *Clarence Richard Andersen
4. *Norman Phillip Andersen
5. Anna Marguerite Andersen 1909 – 1964
6. *Oscar Alvin Andersen
7. Bertha Mae Andersen 1913 – 2000
8. Dorothy Anderson 1915 – 2001
9. Carl Arthur Andersen 1917 – 1995
10. Lucille Anderson 1919 – 2001




  • Maintained by: Rita Osborne
  • Originally Created by: Utah State Historical Society
  • Added: 2 Feb 2000
  • Find A Grave Memorial 150924
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Charles Andrew Andersen (27 Mar 1881–2 Jun 1939), Find A Grave Memorial no. 150924, citing Mantua Cemetery, Mantua, Box Elder County, Utah, USA ; Maintained by Rita Osborne (contributor 47817349) .