The Photo Request has been fulfilled.


Kenneth Eugene Adkins

Taft, Kern County, California, USA
Death 2 Aug 1981 (aged 24)
Taft, Kern County, California, USA
Burial Taft, Kern County, California, USA
Memorial ID 14844419 · View Source
Suggest Edits


KENNY was born to BEVERLY (Ables) ADKINS and JAMES THOMAS ADKINS, SR., October 27, 1956 in Taft, California.

We resided at Elk Hills, a U.S. Navy Oil and Petroleum Reserve, where KENNY'S father, JAY, and my father "Walt" Ables, were employed by Standard Oil. Actually, my mother LEOLA also worked for Standard Oil, working at 11-C Camp in Taft, where the company's main headquarters for the area were located.

After KENNY'S birth, his father JAY and I bought a house and moved closer to town. The company's rental house was too small for our growing family, because my husband's three young children from a previous marriage lived full time with us. Four years later we had our second child, CARL, and moved to Bakersfield when he was three months old in 1960.

When KENNY turned eighteen he enlisted in the U.S. Army and went away to boot camp. He was still in basic training when I received a phone call from Anchorage, Alaska, a nurse at a hospital there telling me that KENNY'S dad, JAY, had been admitted in critical condition with cardiac type-symptoms. I was able to make flight arrangements that same day, flying into Anchorage by 10:30 p.m. that night. My sister-in-law and her husband, who lived in Anchorage at that time, picked me up at the airport and drove me to the hospital. I was able to see JAY before he died. NOTE: Please visit JAY'S memorial page

After his father's funeral, KENNY completed his basic training and was deployed to Germany. My son CARL was fourteen when his dad died, and I was thirty-seven.

After KENNY completed his stint in the military, he came home and got a job driving truck for Chevron Oil Co. Both of my parents, LEOLA and "Walt" Ables, lived in Taft, and KENNY was living at their house with them since his truck-driving job was in Taft. When they died in 1979, their house was passed on to KENNY. After a short period of time, he met a really nice local girl, Christi Trivitt, and they got married. They were very happy and looking forward to the birth of their first child in December of 1981. I had finally found happiness again after meeting a super-nice man who worked in communications at the sheriff's office and remarried in June 1976. But, a new baby on the way, was "just what the doctor ordered." I could hardly wait to see my son with his baby. He was so thrilled and looking forward to, "little Kenny's" birth.

KENNY wouldn't live to see his baby born. A few hours after midnight on August 2, 1981, he was taken by ambulance to the local hospital in Taft, where he was pronounced dead only a few moments after arrival. The cause of death: was found to be due to complications of a ruptured spleen. He had, as yet undiagnosed, infectious mononucleosis, and fulminant viral hepatitis. His liver was found to be in such bad condition that the county coroner told us even if KENNY'S spleen hadn't ruptured, he couldn't have lived much longer. He said that KENNY was, basically, a "walking dead man." We were shocked and absolutely devastated, because KENNY had never had any health issues. The coroner's report stated there were no illicit drugs in his system, alcohol, or anthing of that nature.

KENNEY'S son was born on December 4, 1981, four months after KENNEY'S death, and named KENNETH WILLIAM ADKINS.

Personal Note: Unfortunately, CHRISTI, my daughter-in-law, died due to complications of diabetes when my grandson KENNY was only fourteen years old. He continued to reside in Taft with his maternal grandparents after his mother's death.

Family Members