Charles Middleton “Dolf” Blamey

Melbourne, Melbourne City, Victoria, Australia
Death 7 Dec 1932 (aged 22)
Sydney, City of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Burial Sutherland, Sutherland Shire, New South Wales, Australia
Plot Meth. Monumental, Sec. U, Grave 0001
Memorial ID 146212935 View Source

Son of Sir Thomas Albert Blamey and his first wife, Lady Minnie Caroline (Millard) Blamey.

PLANE CRASHES AT AERODROME Mechanic's Remarkable Escape.
SYDNEY Tuesday - A shocking aeroplane accident, in which the pilot was killed and a mechanic escaped with slight injuries occurred at the Richmond aero drome this morning. Flying Officer Charles Middleton Blamey, son of the commissioner of police in Victoria (Major General Blamey) had his skull fractured and was killed instantly. Mechanic Aicraftsman Plumb was taken to the Richmond Hos pital suffering from cuts and shock. He had a remarkable escape from death Blamey and Plumb had left the flying field at Richmond for a field about a mile away which is considered ideal for practising forced landings. The airmen, in a Royal Australian Air Force Moth aero plane had only left the giound a few minutes when the accident occurred. The machine was manoeuvring at altitudes rang ing from 200ft to a few yards, and one of the wheels evidently struck a stout fence and tilted the aeroplane. The sound of the impact was heard a mile away. The machine was badly damaged, and the occu pants were caught in the wreckage. Blamey struck his head on the fore part of his cabin and was killed instantly. Officials from the aerodrome ran to the scene and extricated Plumb.
Officers at the aerodrome immediately opened an inquiry into the tragedy. Flying Officer Blamey was the eldest son of Major Geneial Blamey. He had been in the R.A.A.F. for two years and had been attached to No. 3 Squadron, Richmond, for about nine months. He held a pilot's certificate, and was finishing the training course
for an instructor's certificate when he met his death. In 1927 he entered the Royal Military College, Duntroon, and graduated with the rank of lieutenant three years later
Major General Blamey is on a visit to Sydney he learned of the tragedy when he visited the New South Wales Club for lunch.

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957) Wednesday 7 December 1932 p 7

Flying-Officer Charles Middleton Blamey, of the Royal Australian Air Force, who was killed in an aeroplane accident near Richmond on Tuesday, was buried at the Woronora Cemetery yesterday afternoon, with full Air Force honours. The body was carried to the graveside by six of his former comrades, three rounds were fired over the open grave, and a trumpeter played the "Last Post.'' Flying Officer Blamey was a son of the Victorian ommissioner of Police (Major General Blamey), and the Air Force escort was reinforced by detachments of police and fire brigade officers. In a brief address at the graveside, the Rev. H. S. Bowden, minister at the Rockdale Methodist Church, said Flying-Officer Blamey had died in the performance of his duty. It might seem a tragic waste of fine human material that he should have been killed when so young, but the lesson of the Universe was that there was no waste. There might be a change, but nothing could be destroyed. The personality of the dead airman had not been lost. It had only been transformed. The chief mourners were Major-General T. A. Blamey (father), R. H. Blamey (grandfather), J. C. Blamey (uncle), K. Blamey (cousin), J. C. Marshall (cousin), and F Buckley (cousin). The Royal Australian Air Force was represented by Commanding Officer W. D. Rostock and Adjutant F. Thompson, of No. 3 Squadron, and Flight Lieutenant Knox-Knight, of Flight No. 101. The bearer party consisted of Flight-Lieutenant Clark and Flying-Officers Alexander McLachlan, Candy, Paget, and Heming. There was an escort of 35 men, and a firing party of 10 men, under the command of Flight-Lieutenant Ewart. Military officers attending were Lieutenant Colonel U H Pratt representing the commandant of the Royal Military College (Brigadier Heritage), Major H. W. MacBride representing the District Base Commandant (Brigadier Heritage), Major G. E. Manchester, representing the commander of the 2nd Division (Major-General Sir Charles Rosenthal, and Lieutenant R. K. Gilchrist, representing the graduates of the Royal Military College. The Commissioner of Police (Mr. Childs) was represented by Superintendent Irving, and a detachment of police was under the command of Inspector Jones. A former Commissioner of Police (Mr. James Mitchell) was also present. The Chief Fire Officer (Mr. Nance) and a detachment of men under Mr. E Griffiths represented New South Wales Fire Brigades, and Mr. J. T. Wilkins, Chief Officer in Melbourne, represented Victorian brigades. Others present were Messrs. E. E. Collins, M.L.C. (Mayor of Wagga), P. J. Newton (Sydney Harbour Trust), Captain F. H. Wickham (Naval and Military Club of Victoria), H. H. Waring, G. Crichton Smith, M. Donohoe, F. Buckley, A. Showers, H. Spencer-Beattie, W. H. Beattie, Colonel W. B Farr, Messrs. C Duval, H. Henrikson, and E. D. Thane.

The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW)
Thursday 8 December 1932 p.13


Family Members



In their memory
Plant Memorial Trees

Sponsored by Ancestry