The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Leon Arentz

Leon Arentz

Death 27 Jun 1929 (aged 21)
Burial Two Taverns, Adams County, Pennsylvania, USA
Memorial ID 143121182 · View Source
Suggest Edits


Bodies of Leon Arentz and Genevieve Mummert Are Found By Youths Thursday Evening; Bullets Pierce Heads; Had Been Absent For Two Days

Returning to Two Taverns Thursday evening after an unexplained absence of two days, Leon Arentz, 21, shot and fatally wounded Miss Genevieve Mummert, 15, and then killed himself. The double tragedy occurred on the Hoffman Orphanage road, about 100 yards from the Baltimore pike, at 10 o'clock Thursday evening.

When Emerson Mummert, 14, brother of the girl, and G. Edwin Motter, 16, of near Two Taverns, found the couple after hearing two shots fired, Miss Mummert was still alive, bu unconscious, and she died while being brought to the Warner Hospital. Arentz apparently died instantly.

The girl was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. I.C. Mummert, Two Taverns, and Arentz was the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Allen W. Arentz, who reside bout a half mile south of Two Taverns along the Baltimore pike.


Dr. Edgar A. Miller, Adams county coroner, who conducted an investigation shortly afterward, recorded the double shooting as murder and suicide. Families of both victims were unable to assign any reason for the slaying ans suicide, although they said the young man had been despondent since a motorcycle accident a year ago which left him crippled.

Since the accident, which occurred on the Baltimore pike in front of Mummert's store, Arentz had been in the employ of Mrs. Mummert in the conduct of a general store at Two taverns. Mr. Mummert is supervising principal of the public schools at Valley Stream, New York, a suburb of New York city on Long Island. For several months, Arentz had been living with the Mummerts.


On Tuesday evening, Miss Mummert told her mother that she was going to Gettysburg to attend a moving picture theater with Arentz. Mrs. Mummert tried to dissuade her daughter from going, but the couple drove away in Mummert's light touring car, in the direction of Gettysburg, leaving the Mummert house about 8:45 o'clock.

When her daughter failed to return home Tuesday night, Mrs. Mummert became worried, and telegraphed her husband who returned to Two Taverns with his son, Emerson Wednesday evening.

About 8:30 o'clock Thursday evening Arentz and Miss Mummert, appeared at the Mummert home in a rented automobile. Arentz left shortly afterward, saying he was going to Gettysburg to get his own automobile. At 9:30 o'clock, Arentz returned to the Mummert store, which adjoins the home in his car.

He stopped the machine at a gasoline pump in front of the store, and ordered three gallons of gasoline and a quart of oil. Emerson Mummert waited on him, and while the former went into the store for change, Arentz drove away.


Just before Arentz left, Miss Mummert came out of the house and jumped into the front seat beside the driver, and the pair drove away in the direction of Littlestown.

A few minutes later, Emerson Mummert and young Motter, who were standing on the store porch, expecting Arentz to turn around and come back for his change, heard a shot, followed by a second shot a few moments later.

Without saying anything to any of the other persons at the store, the two young boys, in Motter's machine, left to investigate the shots, which seemed to come from the direction of the Hoffman Orphanage road, off the Baltimore pike a short distance south of Mummert's store.


About 100 yards from the Baltimore road, Mummert and Motter came upon Arentz's car pulled off the right side of th road, with two wheels on the concrete. The lights were still burning.

In the grass about three yards from the road, the boys found Miss Mummert, unconscious but still breathing. She had been shot in the head, the bullet entering just above the right eye. In front of the car, with his feet on the concrete, but his body off the road, the two boys found Arentz. Life was extinct when he was found. he had been shot in the middle of the forehead. About ten feet separated the bodies of the two victims.

Beside Arentz, the boys found a 32 calibre revolver, containing only one exploded cartridge. A further search revealed another exploded cartridge on the highway, near the car, and it is supposed that after shooting the girl, Arentz removed the shell from the pistol and inserted another cartridge, with which he ended his own life. Other cartridges were lying on the road.

A call was put in for the Gettysburg ambulance. Miss Mummert was still living when the ambulance arrived, but when the machine reached the hospital she was dead.


Both Mr. and Mrs. Mummert were overcome when they learned of the double shooting. Mr. Mummert today told a Gettysburg Times reporter that he knew of no reason why Arentz should have killed his daughter. "Both Mrs. Mummert and myself were good to Arentz and helped him in every way possible. he helped my wife in the store, but we did not suspect that he and Genevieve were in love.
After they returned home Thursday evening, we were so glad that Genevieve was back that we didn't remonstrate with her, and Mrs. Mummert told her that if anything was wrong we would stand by her."


According to Mr. Mummert, his daughter told him that she and Arentz were in Chambersburg when they were away the two days. "I believe, however, that they had intended going to Tulsa, Oklahoma, when they left here." Mr. Mummert, added, "While Leon was in the hospital after his accident, he became friendly with a man from Tulsam who also was in the hospital, and he frequently spoke of going there some time."

Mr. Mummert said there did not seem to be any affection between his daughter and Arentz. "My daughter was too young to keep company," he said, "and Genevieve and Leon seemed to have quarrels while he was here."

Mr. Arentz also was overcome when he was interviewed this morning. "He was always a good boy," Mr. Arentz said in speaking of his son, "but since his accident just a year ago, he could not work regularly and seemed despondent. I know no reason why he would want to kill the girl or take his own life." Mr. Arentz is an antique dealer.

Trooper William B. Davis, of the state police, today said he was notified of the disappearance of Arentz and Miss Mummert the night they left. Descriptions of the pair were broadcast Throughout Pennsylvania by state police.


In the motorcycle accident in which Arentz was injured, he suffered a compiund fracture of the right leg and was a patient at the Warner hospital here for twelve weeks. After he was discharged from the hospital, he had to waer a brace on the injured leg, and walked with a limp.

Miss Mummert is survived by her parents, one sister, Lorraine, and four brothers, Emerson, Wendle, Orlando and Fred Mummert, all at home.

Funeral services for the girl will be held Monday afternoon meeting at the home at 1 o'clock, with further services in St. Mary's Lutheran Church, Silver Run, Maryland, the Rev. J.I. Hammer and the Rev. D.S. Kammerer officiating. Internment in the Union cemetery, Silver Run.

Arentz is survived by his parents and one sister Mrs. Luther Champlain, South Washington street.

His funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 4 o'clock from the home, the Rev. J.I. Hummer officiating. Internment in Grace Lutheran Church cemetery, Two Taverns.

Miss Mummert had completed her course in the county school at Two Taverns, taught by Mrs. Ralph Purdy, Gettysburg, and had taken an examination to enter high school. She was popular with her schoolmates and well liked by everyone in the Two Taverns district.

The Gettysburg Times
{Gettysburg, Pennsylvania}
June 28 1929

Family Members





  • Created by: angel searcher
  • Added: 27 Feb 2015
  • Find A Grave Memorial 143121182
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Leon Arentz (25 Dec 1907–27 Jun 1929), Find A Grave Memorial no. 143121182, citing Grace Lutheran Church Cemetery, Two Taverns, Adams County, Pennsylvania, USA ; Maintained by angel searcher (contributor 47731712) .