The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 John Carter

John Carter

Preston, City of Preston, Lancashire, England
Death 26 Apr 1918 (aged 72)
Mount Pleasant, Sanpete County, Utah, USA
Burial Mount Pleasant, Sanpete County, Utah, USA
Plot A_22_3_7
Memorial ID 142840 · View Source
Suggest Edits

John Carter was born on January 26, 1846 in Preston, Lancashire, England. His father, whose name was also John, died when his son was two weeks old. His mother's name was Ellen Jackson Carter.

In 1856, John, his mother, her brother and their parents left England for Utah. They had joined the LDS Church and were looked down upon in England because of their faith. They crossed the plains as members of the unfortunate Martin Handcart Company led by Edward Martin. Many members of the company died, among whom were John's grandfather and grandmother, and uncle, Luke Carter The ground at that time was frozen, and the people were so weak, that they were unable to dig a grave for his grandfather. They were forced to leave his body lying on the snow and resume their journey with the wolves howling only a short distance away. John and his mother survived that distressing experience and arrived in Salt Lake City on November 30 of that year. John was not quite ten years old at the time of their journey.

They first settled in Pleasant Grove, and in the spring of 1859 moved to Mount Pleasant. John's mother married Bishop William S. Seely. She was the second of three wives to Bishop Seely. They were among the first settlers in Mt. Pleasant and lived in a log cabin outside of the fort.

At the age of sixteen, he drove an ox team to Florence, Nebraska for emigrants and merchandise. John worked at farming and cabinet making and took an active part in the Blackhawk Indian War as one of the Minute Company.

On March 10, 1868, he married Almeda Jeanette McArthur, daughter of Washington Perry and Urania Gregg McArthur. After they were married, Almeda's father divided a section of land among his two sons and his daughter, which the two brothers and John worked together. In the winter he worked in the canyon, hauling out logs and having them sawed into lumber to build a home. He worked for an interest in the furniture mill east of town and became a cabinet maker. He secured a farm and followed that work owning 100 acres and a comfortable residence. He also engaged in cattle raising and bee culture along with farming.

In 1880 he was called to serve a mission to Georgia. He sold his interest in the furniture mill and used the money to pay for his mission. He was given a Patriarchal Blessing which said that he should always carry the blessing with him, and it should be as a protection and guide to him through life. Bullets should fly around his head like hail, but not a hair of his head should be touched. This blessing was realized before he returned from his mission. He and his companion were attacked by a mob and were in great danger, but escaped without a scratch. Later in his life while serving as Marshall in Mt. Pleasant, a group of unruly men came to town and were using firearms, but John again escaped injury.

During his life he served the community in many capacities: He was a member of the 66th Quorum of Seventies, 1882: Senior President 16 years. He served as Constable, City Marshall and member of the City Council. In 1890 he was elected Mayor, serving one term. He was appointed Sheriff in 1894, elected in 1895 and served two years. He was Justice of the Peace for two terms. He served as County Selectman for two years, and Minuteman in the Black Hawk Indian War three years.

In the year 1899-1900, he was called on a mission to England, where he learned about his father's people and was able to gather genealogy before he returned home. He later went on a second mission to England in 1908-1910. He was a home missionary for 20 years.

In December 1900, his wife Almeda died. John and Almeda were the parents of nine children (listed below). At the time of Almeda's death, their youngest child was about ten years old. John needed someone to care for his family and his home. About a year later John sent for Annie Groves, an English girl whom he had met while on his first mission to England. They were married on November 27, 1901. They had two children, Miriam May and John Groves.

John Carter died at his residence in Mt. Pleasant on April 26, 1918 after many years of illness.

Children of John and Almeda Jeanette Carter:
Ella Orania Carter Todd
Charles Byron Carter
Abbie Claudina Carter Madsen
Carrie Louisa Carter McCarty
John Perry Carter
Mary Althera Carter Stansfield
Samuel Authnell Carter
Parlen Carter
Almeda May Warren

Children of John and Annie Groves Carter:
Miriam May Carter Lutes
John Groves Carter




  • Maintained by: Karen Fisher
  • Originally Created by: Utah State Historical Society
  • Added: 2 Feb 2000
  • Find A Grave Memorial 142840
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for John Carter (26 Jan 1846–26 Apr 1918), Find A Grave Memorial no. 142840, citing Mount Pleasant City Cemetery, Mount Pleasant, Sanpete County, Utah, USA ; Maintained by Karen Fisher (contributor 47293596) .