The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Ane Madsine “Annie” <I>Larsen</I> Peterson

Ane Madsine “Annie” Larsen Peterson

Death 27 Dec 1934 (aged 78)
Burial Mount Pleasant, Sanpete County, Utah, USA
Plot A_108_1_5
Memorial ID 142619 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Life of Annie Madsine Moline Larsen (Peterson)
(see also Family and Descendants of Fredrick and Ane Petersen of Mount Pleasant, Utah pg.4-9)

Annie M. Peterson was born August 16, 1856 in Aelingsont, Hjorring Amt, Denmark. She lived with her grandmother the greater part of her first five years of life. While with her, she first heard of the Latter-Day Saint Missionaries. When she was but three or four years old, her grandmother took her with to meetings held by the missionaries. She was very adept at learning and did not hear the songs that were sung more than three or four times before she knew them. She also understood and remembered the things they spoke of. At this early age she was impressed with the truthfulness of what she heard. Her grandmother taught her to pray and ask the blessing on the food.

One day when her grandmother went to work, her cousin and she were playing house. They were going to have a play dinner; but before they started to eat they drew straws to see which should ask the blessing. Annie drew the longest straw so she was to ask it. She had just begun when her uncle came and caught her. He slapped her so hard on the side of the head that she fainted and fell off the rock she was sitting on. She didn't know how long she lay there, but when she came to, her cousin and uncle were gone and so was all the food that her grandmother had left for her. She never saw her cousin again because her uncle had forbidden her to play with Annie. He said even if his mother could teach his sister's daughter such things, she couldn't teach his.

When she was about four and a half years of age, she became very ill with a fever which caused her to shake so that she shook the whole bed. Her grandmother had some oil which she had received from the missionaries. Annie asked her if she could have just a little of it because she had faith enough in it that it would heal her. Her grandmother complied with her request and because of her faith she became well immediately and never again was she afflicted with the disease.

She was not to live long with her grandmother, however, because when she was five years of age, her grandmother embraced the gospel. Her grandfather was very bitter toward the Mormons. He did not know of his wife's relation heretofore; so when she told him of her conversion and baptism he became very angry. He opened the door and told her to go and take Annie with her. On that cold fall night they left home and went in search of a place to stay where they could keep warm. They traveled some distance and at last found refuge in a barn. The people who owned the barn said they could stay there, and were kind enough to give them a quilt with which to keep them a little warmer. They passed the night there and the next day her grandmother took Annie to her mother. Then she worked where she could get a little to do all winter and in the spring she left for America. She crossed the plains to Utah and came at last to Mount Pleasant where she made her home.

Annie found life quite different here with her mother than she had known it with her grandmother. Often times she went out in the bushes in the garden to pray as she had been taught. For her mother and step-father would have punished her severely had known it, at one time, however, her sister discovered her while she was praying and told her mother. She gave her a thrashing and threatened her severely should she ever do it again.

One day her mother sent her on an errand a few miles away. She was very weak because she had not had anything to eat for three days, so she didn't feel like going such a long distance, but she didn't dare refuse. She started on her way, praying all the time that the lady whom she was to go would give her something to eat. She reached there and delivered her message but was very disappointed because she thought that her prayer had not been answered. As she went sadly along homeward, she began to cry. She was just passing the next house when the lady came out and asked her what was the matter. She didn't dare to tell her that she was hungry, but the lady said, "I know that you are hungry, come in and I will give you something to eat." She gave her all the bread dipped in grease drippings that she wanted. Then Annie started happily on her way, for she knew that the Lord had answered her prayer.

Because of the way her mother and step-father felt and how poorly things were at home, she prayed that she might get a job where she could do more as she pleased. Her prayer was soon answered and she got a job herding cows and sheep from May until November. Her mother was not very favorable to her going, but her step-father thought it was all right so he took her there. A month later she was very surprised to see her mother come to the place that she was working. Her mother had just received a letter from her grandmother, who said that as soon as her husband, whom she married in Utah, sold some oats, she would send the money for her little Annie to come to her in America. This letter had disturbed her mother, so she came to ask Annie if she would go and leave her mother if the money came. At Annie's reply of "yes", she went home without saying another word. It caused her to think a great deal about Mormonism and many times during the time Annie was out working her mother and step-father went to meetings held by the missionaries and often had the missionaries come to their house. When Annie came home in November she was very happy because of her mother and step-father's interest in the gospel. While attending meetings with them, she was asked to help sing, because there were not many who could sing, and the missionaries had noticed how well she sang. Because of her good singing, she was asked to come to conference and help sing there also. She was then but eleven years of age.

One day Annie was sent on an errand which would take her all day to go there. While she was gone her mother and step-father had some trouble with the missionaries. For quite a while after that, they would not go to meetings or have anything to do with the missionaries. It happened that Annie met the missionaries a few days afterwards. They asked her if she could fix matters with her mother and step-father, because they were desirous of baptizing them. Annie worried very much about this and wondered how she was to fix it for them. But God moves in a mysterious way his wonders to perform.

A day or so later her father was going to the field and her mother was going with him. So Annie and her sister asked if they might go too. He mother didn't want them to go out, but her step-father said it wouldn't hurt them to go with. Annie wanted to take a sack with her. She didn't know at the time why she took it, but when she reached the field, she found a stream of water with fish in. She took her shoes off and waded in the ditch trying to catch some fish and put them on the bank into the sack. After she had caught one fish, she was not satisfied until she caught another. This she soon did, but it was of a different kind than the other. It came over her then as a veil that these fish represented her mother and step-father, whom she should bring back to the gospel. Her mother and sister were following the stream down the creek. Here they stopped and Annie said before she knew the words were out of her mouth, "Mother, here is where you will be baptized." This made her mother angry and she said, "What do you know about such things?" "If you ever say such a thing again, I shall push you in the creek." He mother talked very loud, so that her step-father, who had been working a short way off, heard her and came to see what was the matter. Her mother would not tell him so Annie came close to him and told him of what she had said. He took Annie's part as usual and said that her mother shouldn't let that hurt her. They then sat down on the hay to talk it over. Annie and her sister ran off in search of flowers. Presently Annie heard them call her and she came running to see what they wanted. Her mother said that if she would make it right with the missionaries, they would be baptized. How she was to do this was a problem; as the missionaries never came there and she was never allowed to go anyplace only when sent on an errand.

She spent several sleepless nights, then one morning her father had her take the sheep out, but she had never before taken them to this field as it was full of bushes and not very good feed. She staked the sheep and returned home. Her step-father became uneasy about the sheep and so sent her to move them at ten o'clock, and she never before had moved them until noon. She had just taken the one stake out of the ground to move it when she saw the missionaries. When they saw her coming, they began to walk toward her. She could not say a word when she reached them, so they thought they better go with her home.

Upon reaching home, her mother and step-father came out to meet them. Then the missionaries and her mother and step-father made it right between them and decided the date on which they should be baptized. After all this was done, Annie was able to speak. This showed that they were able to make it right between themselves and she was to have nothing to do with it.

And so it happened that her mother and step-father were baptized at the place that Annie had showed them. Annie was not baptized at that same time, however, because they thought it would be better for her to wait until her sister was ready to be baptized also.

That summer they sold their home and moved to another place, where Annie and her sister were baptized a year afterwards on the 27th of March, 1870 when Annie was thirteen years of age.

A very wonderful incident occurred in the life of Annie in February before she was baptized. She became very ill, and heard someone say in the room, that she would not live until morning. This made her feel very badly, and she prayed that someone would come and administer to her so that she could get well. Just a little while later, a knock was heard on the door. There stood a missionary who came in the night and administered to Annie. The night before, he had been awakened in the night by a voice that told him to go to this place. He awakened his comrade and told him he was going. Then he left and traveled the rest of the night and the next day until night, when he came to his destination. This was truly and answer to prayer.

In the early part of the summer, this little family left Denmark on a steamship, to come to this land of America. After reaching the New York harbor, they came on a train to Salt Lake City, where they stayed in the tithing office until a team came which took them to Spanish Fork. Here they stayed in a school house until teams came from Sanpete. Annie and her mother and step-father and sister came when Annie was fourteen years of age. Here Annie stayed with her grandmother, but her mother, sister, and step-father went from one place to another until they finally decided to stay at Richfield. Annie was married to Fredrick Peterson in 1872 , when she was but sixteen years of age. She raised a large family of thirteen children, with the exception of two who died in infancy. She has thirty-seven grandchildren and five great-grand children (1932).

She is now seventy-four years old and still does her own work and attends to her religious duties as faithfully as she did when she first joined the church. She is very sweet and good natured. In raising the large family she never once lost her temper or scolded anyone nor had she ever been cross at all in her whole life. She is unassuming and quiet to a fault. Her memory will be cherished by her family for her faithfulness and wonderful testimony of the gospel that she has given to them.
Genealogical Sources:
1. Birth: listed as Ane Madsine Nicoline Birth, G.S. Film 48999, Elling Parish, Hjorring, 1835-1873.
Family and Descendants of Fredrick and Ane Petersen pg. 4, (footnote 15 pg 13) and pg. 25.

2. Marriage: Family and Descendants of Fredrick and Ane Petersen pg. 25.

3. Death/burial: Mount Pleasant, Utah , Sexton's Records, pg 65.
Death Certificate, State of Utah retrieved on line from
Family and Descendants of Fredrick and Ane Petersen pg. 15, 25.
Utah State Historical Society, comp.. Utah Cemetery Inventory [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2000. Original data: Utah State Historical Society. Utah Cemetery Inventory. Salt Lake City, UT, USA: 2000.
Utah State Archives and Records Service; Salt Lake City, UT; Utah State Archives and Records Service; File Number #: 1934004957. Utah Death Registers, 1847-1966 [database on-line].
Obituary, unknown publication

4. LDS Baptism: Index Card of E. H. Temple records #6574, Book G, pg. 224 as quoted in Family and Descendants of Fredrick and Ane Petersen of Mount Pleasant, Utah pg. 14.

5. Other: 1880; Census Place: Mount Pleasant, Sanpete, Utah; Roll: 1337; Family History Film: 1255337; Page: 348D; Enumeration District: and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 1880 United States Federal Census [database on-line].

6. Other: 1900; Census Place: MT Pleasant, Sanpete, Utah; Roll: 1686; Page: 18B; Enumeration District: 0128; FHL microfilm: 1241686. 1900 United States Federal Census [database on-line].

7. Other: 1910; Census Place: MT Pleasant, Sanpete, Utah; Roll: T624_1608; Page: 14A; Enumeration District: 0156; FHL microfilm: 1375621. 1910 United States Federal Census [database on-line].

8. Other: 1920; Census Place: Mount Pleasant, Sanpete, Utah; Roll: T625_1864; Page: 24A; Enumeration District: 110; Image: 509. 1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line].

Necessary Explanations:
Annie Madsine Johansen, wife of Fredrick Peterson, was originally named Ane Madsine Nicoline Larsen (Parish records, Elling, Hjorring, Denmark, F48999, reg. 1835-1873). Their children, Annie, Marie, Fred and Erastus each refer to their mother as Annie Madsine Johansen, before her marriage to Fredrick Petersen. This is probably due to the fact that Ane's mother, in her second marriage, was married to Jens Johansen, with whom she was living when she joined the Chruch. They left Denmark and came to Utah together. Ane apparently had a good relationship with him as a step-father and adopted his surname. Ane even went so far as to have herself sealed to him and her mother in the Manti Temple. This sealing, however, was subsequently voided because of the prior divorce of Jensine Madsen and Jens Johansen. Ane was later sealed to Jensine's third husband, Christen Jensen, or Christen Jensen Jacobsen. See Family and Descendants of Fredrick and Ane Petersen pg. 85 end note 3.




  • Maintained by: htigerlily89
  • Originally Created by: Utah State Historical Society
  • Added: 2 Feb 2000
  • Find A Grave Memorial 142619
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Ane Madsine “Annie” Larsen Peterson (16 Aug 1856–27 Dec 1934), Find A Grave Memorial no. 142619, citing Mount Pleasant City Cemetery, Mount Pleasant, Sanpete County, Utah, USA ; Maintained by htigerlily89 (contributor 47576048) .