The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

 Estella Anna “Stella or Ane” <I>Olson</I> Peterson

Estella Anna “Stella or Ane” Olson Peterson

Moroni, Sanpete County, Utah, USA
Death 11 Jan 1919 (aged 29)
Rupert, Minidoka County, Idaho, USA
Burial Mount Pleasant, Sanpete County, Utah, USA
Plot A_108_1_7
Memorial ID 142617 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Estella Anna Peterson married Fredrick James Peterson who as an electrician for the city. Her parents, Annie Madsine Peterson and Fredrick Peterson lived in Mt. Pleasant, Utah, situated on the lower southwest side of the city on the old county road. It was a small frame home with two rooms, a kitchen and bedroom-living room combination. The home was heated by coal from Fairview Canyon.

They had two sons:
Orvind Fred Peterson
LaVar Olof Peterson

And two daughters:
Ila Lucile Peterson Christensen
Melba Anna Peterson Brothersen

Like most everyone they had a copper boiler in which the water was heated on the stove. Estella would wash the clothes in the hand washer, then scrub them on a scrub board, boil, then wash them again and rinse and hang them on the line to dry.

Her daughter Ila said, "I remember going with my mother in the buggy. I've been told that she loved people and liked to visit so she learned to hitch up the horse to the buggy all by herself, I remember going with her to gather ground cherries, of which she made jam."

Estella's sister, who lived in Mammoth, Utah persuaded her Fredrick James to move there to work in the mines. Mammoth at that time, was a boom town, wages were good and supposed to get even better, so my father moved us to Mammoth.

Fredrick James didn't like the mines; in fact, he was frightened by them, and so was easily lured to Idaho by her wife's brothers who had moved there. Opportunities were great, so they said, and early in the spring we moved again. The move to Heyburn, Idaho, was made by train; bag, baggage, horses, wagon and all. The house had a huge barn with a big windmill beside it.

Latter they moved to Rupert, Idaho where they lived on a pretty street. Fredrick James had a cow and milked it and sold the milk in the neighborhood and their children delivered the milk.

Christmas that year didn't happen because we all took sick with the flu. It was the very contagious flu of 1918. Estella and last daughter Melba lay in bed and they were both too sick for Fredrick James to take care of so they had to go the hospital, which was the school house. School was closed- and used for a hospital because the only hospital was filled. It was an epidemic.

Ila said, "I remember papa taking us to see mother. She must have been very sick because she died shortly after. This was Jan, 12, 1919. She was 28 years old. I remember we were sick for sometime after she died. My sister got better and was able to come home. My mother was shipped to Mt. Pleasant where she was buried. There were no funeral services allowed--only grave-side services."

  • Maintained by: htigerlily89
  • Originally Created by: Utah State Historical Society
  • Added: 2 Feb 2000
  • Find A Grave Memorial 142617
  • htigerlily89
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Estella Anna “Stella or Ane” Olson Peterson (2 Jan 1890–11 Jan 1919), Find A Grave Memorial no. 142617, citing Mount Pleasant City Cemetery, Mount Pleasant, Sanpete County, Utah, USA ; Maintained by htigerlily89 (contributor 47576048) .