Dr Jeffrey S. Farkas


Dr Jeffrey S. Farkas

Akron, Summit County, Ohio, USA
Death 3 Dec 1989 (aged 26)
Squirrel Hill, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, USA
Burial Cremated, Other
Memorial ID 141751530 View Source
Suggest Edits

Dr. Jeffrey S. Farkas, 26, of 3071 Beechwood Boulevard, Squirrel Hill, Pennsylvania was murdered on December 3rd or 4th of 1989. He was born to Jerry A. and Constance Beatrice Farkas in Michigan.

Jeffrey Farkas, originally from Farmington Hills, Michigan, came to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in late June of 1989 to begin a three-year training program at Children's Hospital. At the time of his death, he was an intern at Children's Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in the pediatrics department.

Upon returning from work, his body was discovered around 4:15 a.m., Monday, December 4th by roommate, Stewart Schott, who at the time, was a resident at Children's Hospital. His other roommate, John Bari, a medical student, was away visiting friends.

"Jeff was an outstanding individual and human being." said his uncle, Neal Farkas of Fox Chapel, Pennsylvania. "He had everything going for him, and this person just snuffed it out and changed the lives of many people. It's a difficult thing to comprehend."

An $11,000 reward was offered by family members and friends for information about the slaying. Children's Hospital contributed to the reward and planned to set up an award in his memory, according to Dr. Mark Sperling, chairman of the pediatrics department at Children's Hospital.

PENNSYLVANIA v. WILLIAM YARBOUGH was a 1987-90 Pennsylvania murder court decision. During the evening of December 3/4, 1987, 20 year-old William Yarbough, who had been reared as a Jehovah's Witness by his JW Mother, Arlene Yarbough, was busy burglarizing the suburban Pittsburgh home of Dr. Jeffrey Farkas, when Farkas interrupted the burglary by waking up to use the restroom. Instead of recognizing what Farkas was doing, and leaving, or waiting for Farkas to go back to sleep, Yarbough attacked Farkas in the second floor bathroom.

The Children's Hospital intern was found dead in the bathtub around 4:00 AM by another doctor who had returned home from work to the shared rental. He had two roommates. The house had been ransacked and burglarized, and Farkas' auto had been stolen. The cause of death was hard to determine due to the extremely brutal attack. Farkas suffered multiple stab wounds to his head and neck. Farkas also had been beaten in the head with a fireplace iron. Farkas also had been strangled with a vacum cleaner cord. All of this suggests the possibility that William Yarbough interspersed the ransacking of the house with returning to do additional damage to Farkas to make certain that Farkas was dead.

Yarbough was arrested two years later while he was working as a cook at a restaurant only three blocks from Farkas' house, and he quickly confessed. However, he later alleged that the police had beaten him to obtain the confession, and Yarbough eventually pleaded "not guilty". In December 1990, Yarbough was convicted of first-degree murder, but during the penalty phase of the trial, witnesses testified as to Yarbough's tough childhood, and his good work history, and the jury declined to sentence Yarbough to the death penalty. Yarbough received the alternative -- life imprisonment without possibility of parole.

Funeral was held Wednesday, December 6, 1989.

Sources: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, December 6, 1989, Section B, page 1

Family Members



In their memory
Plant Memorial Trees

Sponsored by Ancestry