The Photo Request has been fulfilled.

LT John Anthony Bishop

LT John Anthony Bishop

Lunenburg County, Virginia, USA
Death 18 Jun 1887 (aged 45)
Dinwiddie County, Virginia, USA
Burial Darvills, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, USA
Memorial ID 14084621 · View Source
Suggest Edits

1st Lieutenant, 59th Virginia, CSA

John Bishop was the son of Alfred Bishop and Mary (Robertson) Bishop. John enlisted (Jun 1861), at 19 years of age, into the 9th Virginia. Promoted to 3rd Sergeant in Nov 1861. While guarding Portsmouth, John, along with the rest of the 9th, witnessed the battle of the Monitor and the Merrimac.

John was elected by his men and commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in May 1862. They left Portsmouth and were sent to guard Richmond. They were temporarily assigned to the 28th Battalion (Tabb's) and then assigned to the 59th Virginia Infantry.

John was promoted to 1st Lieutenant in Nov 1862. The 59th fought in South Carolina and Florida. John's uncle Robert Bishop was also in the same company with John.

The 59th returned to Virginia and John was wounded on 7 July 1864, during the Siege of Petersburg. He was hospitalized in Richmond, and then sent home to Lunenburg, because of continued high fever after the partial amputation of one hand.

John was very close to his parents. At one point during the war, he received word that his father was deathly ill, and he was given leave to go home for 2 weeks. Seeing his son again must have been the best medicine, because Alfred recovered.

This time it was John's turn to be cared for. He arrived home sick and wounded, but after a month, had recovered enough to return to the war. However, he did not return alone. Although he was quite old, John's father made the decision to accompany John, and join the 59th, to fight by his son's side. (Alfred had previously served on the home guard in Lunenburg).

They fought at Burgess' Mill and at the Battle of Saylor's Creek. John Bishop was present at the surrender at Appomattox Court House, and paroled from there on 9 Apr 1865.

John returned home to Lunenburg and married Lucy E Davis in 1866. They moved to Dinwiddie County soon after. Their first son, John C Bishop was born in 1872. While giving birth to triplets,in January 1876, Lucy and two of the babies died. Edward Stokes Bishop was the only baby to survive. At this point, John's parents moved from Lunenburg County to Dinwiddie County in order to help raise John's sons.

John married second to Sarah A Callis and had 4 more children: Lottie Kate, Robert, George, and Mary.

John was a farmer, and an officer in the local Hickory Grove Grange. He died of typhoid fever and dysentery on 18 Jun 1887, at only 45 years of age.

John died too young, and left behind many who loved him and mourned his passing: his wife, children, parents, and brothers and sisters. Those of us who arrived much later, admire this ancestor's dedication to duty, family, and Virginia. Rest in peace, dear sir.

He was originally buried at White's Chapel in Dinwiddie, but when Fort Pickett expanded its boundaries, John's and his parents' bodies were relocated to Butterwood Church Cemetery.

His first wife, Lucy, is buried in a church cemetery, somewhere in Lunenburg Co, "with a baby in each arm".
His second wife, Sarah, is buried in Blandford cemetery, Petersburg.


1 Lieut
Co H 59th VA Inf

  • Created by: A DePrisco Bishop
  • Added: 26 Apr 2006
  • Find A Grave Memorial 14084621
  • C
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for LT John Anthony Bishop (24 Jan 1842–18 Jun 1887), Find A Grave Memorial no. 14084621, citing Butterwood Cemetery, Darvills, Dinwiddie County, Virginia, USA ; Maintained by A DePrisco Bishop (contributor 24972097) .