James was the son of Caleb Clark and Elizabeth Griffith. This Clark family went from Ohio, to Marion County Indiana, to Vermilion County Illinois, and James and his children ended up back in Marion County Indiana prior to his enlistment in 1864.
James pension records show he was enlisted in the 1st Indiana Heavy Artillery from September 27 1864 till his death from Small Pox on 21 January 1865. His pension file shows that his second wife applied for his pension and lists their only child together as well as the 7 children he left behind from his first marriage. Those 7 children, his widow says, were being provided for by the Marion Co Indiana Trustee.
1st marriage: Lydia Jane Prickett, daughter of John Prickett and Elizabeth (possibly Kimble) on 6 May 1847 Marion Co, Indiana.
Children from this marriage:
1) Elizabeth Ann Clark b. 14 April 1848 Marion County, Indiana. Married Elisha Taylor Reddick, son of Elijah Reddick and Elizabeth Johnson. Elizabeth and her brother James are both living with the Reddicks in 1870. Elizabeth died 5 November 1891 Marion County, Indiana.
2) William Roscoe Clark b. 13 March 1850 (per pension, his grave stone says born same years as younger Brother James). William (per descendants) ran away from home, presumably after the death of both his parents. He went West and married Leora Perry. William died 1916 in Nebraska. (DNA has confirmed the relationship between the descendants of William Roscoe Clark and his younger brother, James Henry Clark and his descendants.
3) John W Clark born 30 March 1852.
4) Jesse R Clark born 10 September 1856.
5) Charles Clark born 26 August 1861 Vermillion County, Illinois. Possibly one of the first ten children admitted to the Soliders and Sailors Childrens Home in Knightstown Indiana. Joined military and went West. Married Mary Jane Baker. Died 23 October 1943 in Oregon. Charles and his wife were both cremated. Their urns share a single niche at Wilhelm's Portland Memorial Mausoleum in Portland, Oregon. Also in the same niche is his brother Albert and his wife, Barbara.
6) Albert M Clark b.19 March 1858 Vermillion County Illinois. Possibly one of the first ten children admitted to the Soliders and Sailors Childrens Home in Knightstown Indiana. Joined military and went West.Married Barbara Schmutz. Died 10 August 1933 Clark Co. Washington. Albert and his wife were both cremated. Their urns share a single niche at Wilhelm's Portland Memorial Mausoleum in Portland, Oregon. Also in the same niche is his brother Charles and his wife, Mary.
7) James Henry Clark b. 17 March 1851 Marion County Indiana. Seen living with in laws of his sister, Elijah Reddick, in Marion County Indiana in 1870. Married Sarah C Moore, daughter of Samuel Moore and Lucretia Livingston. James Henry Clark died 1915 in Indiana. He listed brothers Charles and Albert as well as sister, Mrs. George Caylor, in his obit. (DNA has confirmed the relation ship between the descendants of James Henry Clark and his older brother, William Roscoe Clark and his descendants.)
2nd marriage: Mary Jane Herrin, daughter of William Herrin and Rebecca Charlton, on 21 July 1863 Marion Co, Indiana.
Children from this marriage:
Rebecca S J Clark b. 11 June 1864 Marion Co, Indiana. Married George Caylor 19 Mar 1888 Marion Co Indiana. d. 1945 Marion Co, Indiana.