Leroy Prescott

Leroy Prescott

Vermont, USA
Death 12 Sep 1911 (aged 65)
Summerland, Santa Barbara County, California, USA
Burial Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara County, California, USA
Memorial ID 13843639 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Husband to: Miraiam, May 1832, England, Immigrated in 1851.
2nd wife: M J, 62 in 1910, Ohio.
Died after 1910 Census

1860 United States Federal Census Record
about Laroy Prescott
Name: Laroy Prescott
Age in 1860: 16
Birth Year: abt 1844
Birthplace: Vermont
Home in 1860: Waterbury, Washington, Vermont
Gender: Male
Post Office: Waterbury Center
Value of real estate: View image
Household Members: Name Age
Jeremiah Clark 59
Edna Clark 54
Charles B Clark 31
Laroy Prescott 16
Emily N Fisher 22
Bradbury Davis 54
Phebe Davis 49

Civil War Service Records Record
about Leroy Prescott
Name: Leroy Prescott
Company: I
Unit: 13 Vermont Infantry.
Rank - Induction: Private
Rank - Discharge: Private
Allegiance: Union

American Civil War Soldiers Record
about Leroy F Prescott
Name: Leroy F Prescott ,
Residence: Waterbury, Vermont
Enlistment Date: 25 August 1862
Distinguished Service: DISTINGUISHED SERVICE
Side Served: Union
State Served: Vermont
Unit Numbers: 3024 3024
Service Record: Enlisted as a Private on 25 August 1862 at the age of 19
Enlisted in Company I, 13th Infantry Regiment Vermont on 10 October 1862.
Mustered out Company I, 13th Infantry Regiment Vermont on 21 July 1863 in Brattleboro, VT

American Civil War Regiments Record
Regiment: 13th Infantry Regiment VT
Date Mustered: 21 July 1863
Regiment Type: Infantry
Enlisted Died of Disease or Accident: 1
Officers Died of Disease or Accident: 16
Enlisted Killed or Mortally Wounded: 4
Regimental Soldiers and History: List of Soldiers

Regimental History


IN the summer of 1862 ten companies were recruited in
Washington, Chittenden, Lamoille and Franklin counties, which
were organized into the Thirteenth regiment of infantry on the
24th day of September. All had been undergoing squad and
company drill for several weeks, and on the 29th of September
the companies went into barracks at Brattleboro, and were thus
assembled as a regiment for the first time.

More than half of the men composing this regiment were
young farmers, and there was a liberal sprinkling from all
other callings common to the country. Not a few had left
college and the learned professions, to serve, during what most
of them believed would be the last year of the war, and the
standard and culture throughout the regiment was unusualy high.
There were rivalries for office, as usual, but scores of men
who were as wel1 fitted to command as any others, scorned to
seek commissions and went through their term of service as
privates and non-commissioned officers, discharging every duty
without the need of orders and relieving the tedium of camp-
life by classical studies and learned discussions.

The regiment was most fortunate in most of its officers,
and especially so in its colonel, Francis V. Randall, who had
been a captain in the Second regiment, and previously had been
a lawyer, state's attorney for Washington county, and a member
of the Legislature. Being many years older than most of his
men--he was thirty-eight, and the average of their ages was
but twenty-four--having seen service while most of them had
not, and being withal a man of fine military bearing, and
possessed of popular ways, he enjoyed their confidence and even
their affection, which neither faults nor antagonisms served to
impair. Not only did he give the regiment good care and
discipline, but when there was opportunity to meet the enemy,
he distinguished himself for zeal and gallantry, and enabled
his men to render a full measure of service and win for
themselves imperishable renown. Another officer deserving
special mention was the surgeon, George Nichols, M. D., of

At Brattleboro the regiment was equipped with the latest
pattern of Springfield rifles, muzzle loaders, to be sure, but
the best infantry arm then in use. Mustered into the United
States service, October 3, with nine hundred fifty-three
officers and men, the regiment left for Washington on the 11th,
where it arrived the 13th and went into camp on East Capitol
Hill, whither it had been preceded by the Twelfth regiment, and
was soon followed by the Fourteenth, Fifteenth and Sixteenth,
all of which were formed into the Second Vermont Brigade on the

They were reviewed one day by General Banks, and there
were rumors that they were to be sent under his command to the
lower Mississippi, but General Casey succeeded in holding
them for service in Virginia, and on the 30th of October, the
brigade marched down Pennsylvania Avenue to the tune of "The
Girl I Left Behind Me," crossed Long Bridge and ascended
Arlington Heights to the estate of General Lee, where it
encamped one night. The next day the Twelfth and Thirteenth
marched to the heights south of Alexandria, where they were
joined a few days later by the rest of the brigade, and there,
in what became known as "Camp Vermont," they were engaged for a
month in camp and picket duty, drills, reviews and in fatigue
work on Fort Lyon, near by.

Starting in the rain, about nine o'clock in the night of
November 26, the Thirteenth, Fourteenth and Fifteenth, under
command of Colonel Randall, marched through Alexandria
and thence on the pike towards Fairfax Court House. Late in
the night they bivouacked, and proceeded next day to Union
Mills, where they remained nearly two weeks, guarding the
railroad and maintaining a strong picket line along the Bull
Run. Although they had tents, there was much suffering from
severe cold and storms. They were in constant readiness for
an expected encounter with Confederate cavalry. Being
relieved, they returned to Camp Vermont, December 5th, making
the journey to Alexandria on flat cars in a heavy, damp snow
storm. When they reached camp in the evening it was still
snowing, their tents had not arrived and they were without
food, fuel or axes. A few found shelter in neighboring
buildings, but the greater number were taken in by the other
regiments of the brigade. Many, however, took colds and some
of them never recovered. In a few days stockades were built
and the camp was made comfortable for the severe winter that
had set in. The old routine was resumed. December 12, the
brigade marched to Fairfax Court House and encamped in a grove
northwest of the village. There they remained five weeks, the
regiment taking turns in going forward to Centreville for a few
days, holding the fortifications there and picketing along the
Bull Run in connection with other troops.

Early in the evening of December 27th, the long roll
sounded at Fairfax and the regiments hastily formed in line.
The outposts had reported that Stuart's cavalry was moving
rapidly upon the village from the south and east. Colonel
Randall was in attendance upon a court-martial at Alexandria,
but Lieutenant-Colonel Brown led the regiment on a double quick
through the village and into a rifle pit which crossed the
Alexandria pike a quarter of a mile to the east. When the men
became silent, the approach of the enemy over the frozen ground
could be distinctly heard in the clear frosty air. Apparently
they had reached the pike and were forming to charge from the
east. A solitary horseman, having passed the Union picket,
came dashing down the pike from that direction, paused a moment
by General Stoughton and then passed in rear of the Thirteenth.
When the voice of Colonel Randall was heard the anxious men
experienced relief and reassurance. He had heard of the raid
and had ridden with all speed from Alexandria. It was only by
strategy that he made his way through the foremost of the
Confederates along the pike. A charge by the enemy's advance
was soon repulsed by General Stoughton's skirmishers, and when
our artillery opened, General Stuart moved away and flanked the
town to the north. The Thirteenth was moved rapidly to
intercept him, but only to become very warm and then nearly to
freeze, before returning to camp in the morning.

On the 20th of January the regiment marched south twelve
miles to Wolf Run Shoals, where, with the Twelfth and a battery
which were joined later by the Fourteenth, it remained
until April 2, when it moved five miles down the Occoquan, and
established "Camp Carusi," a mile north of the stream.
Detachments were sent thence to guard the ferry at Occoquan and
several fords above, extending to the left of the Fourteenth.
This was a delightful camp and as there was a fine parade
ground, the regiment became very proficient in battalion drill.
On the morning of May 14, a wagon train from the regiment, on
its way to Fairfax Station for supplies, though more than a
mile in rear of the picket line, was attacked by a small body
of Mosby's men and the drivers, guards and mules were captured.
The men, seven in all, were treated to a bare-back ride of
twenty-seven miles on the mules and were then paroled and
allowed to return on foot. News of the capture soon reached
camp and the regiment started upon a run to intercept the
captors at the nearest ford, but arrived a few minutes too
late. One day, while Company G was at the ferry, a large
number of escaping slaves approached from the South and were
conducted to their freedom and sent on their way to Washington
amid great rejoicing.

The regiment distinctly heard the cannonade at
Chancellorsville and expected to start for the front at a
moment's notice, but the order did not come. June 13, the
advance of Hooker's army began to pass northward, crossing the
Occoquan on a pontoon bridge, and on the 25th, after the entire
army had marched, the Thirteenth moved to join the other
regiments of the brigade. They met at Union Mills and
proceeded together on the great seven day's march to
Gettysburg, where they arrived at sunset, July 1, and took
position in a field of clover at the left of Buford's cavalry,
then drawn up in a square, guarding the left of the army, which
had fallen back through the town and formed on Cemetery Hill
and the ridges to the right and left.

The next morning the brigade moved a little to the right
and supported batteries on Cemetery Hill. Here it was
subjected several times during the day to a converging fire of
shell from three directions and was a witness of the terrific
fighting on Little Round Top, in the Wheat Field, Peach Orchard
and along the Emmettsburg road. While in this position, Capt.
Merritt B. Williams of Company G received a mortal wound from a
spherical case shot and several men were injured. One or two
regiments came rushing back panic stricken from the cemetery
and were restored by the Vermont Brigade. Colonel Randall
rendered his own men a good service by upbraiding the fugitives
and citing to them, veterans though they were, the steadiness
of the Vermonters, many of whom had never been under fire
before. During the day five companies of the Thirteenth under
Lieut.-Col. William D. Munson, were stationed to guard a
battery in the front line on the west face of Cemetery Hill and
this position they held until night. The other companies moved
out with the brigade on a double quick to the left, after
Sickles and Hancock had in turn been driven back from the
Emmetsburg road and the shallow valley to the east, under
orders from General Doubleday to hasten to Hancock's support.
As General Stannard was leading towards the position where the
First Minnesota had just been destroyed, General Hancock, who
had directed the movement, asked Colonel Randall if he could
recover a battery which had been lost in the valley below and
which was being rapidly approached by a strong body of the
enemy. Randall replied that he would do it or die trying, so
this right wing of the brigade ceased moving to the left and
dashed forward at a full run down the gentle descent, up which
Pickett's men charged the next day. Randall's horse fell,
shot, and for a moment the rider was partially underneath, but
soon he was running, hatless, to overtake his line, and in a
moment appeared in front of the colors, leading on to victory.
The guns were reached and drawn back, where General Hancock and
his men received them with thanks and cheers. Randall then
quickly re-formed his line and pursued the enemy. He went as
far as the Peter Rogers' house on the Emmettsburg road before
halting. While crossing the valley, a Confederate, who had
been supposed to be dead, arose from the ditch in which he lay
and fired at Maj. Joseph J. Boynton from the rear. The bullet
narrowly missed the Major's head. Three men of company C
turned to bayonet the miscreant, but the Major stopped them and
took him prisoner. The battalion halted near the Rogers' house
and captured eighty-three prisoners, who had taken refuge
there. Company A was thrown around the house, and the
Confederates surrendered mostly to Captain Lonergan and Adjt.
James S. Peck. The other companies were in front of the house,
company G being nearest. Captain Coburn with company C was
sent to the left and right to explore in the gathering darkness
and thick smoke, but as no more rebels were in sight the
battalion returned to the line, and as it approached with the
prisoners it was cheered by twenty thousand men. The companies
with Randall in these gallant dashes were: A, Capt. John
Lonergan, G, Lieut. Albert Clarke, C, Capt. Lewis L. Coburn, E,
Capt. Andrew J. Davis and B, Capt. Orcas C. Wilder. They
sustained a smaller loss than might have been expected.

That night the other companies returned to the line and
the regiment slept upon its arms in the front line of battle
near the position which the brigade held the next day. During
the ensuing forenoon a detail of ten men from each company,
under General Stannard's orders, gathered some fence rails and
placed them in line about forty-five yards in front of the
regiment. The object was not then apparent, but it became so
later. Though there was a sharp fire of sharpshooters, most of
the men volunteered for this work, led by Sergt. George H.
Scott of company G, and not one was injured. A similar detail
buried some of the dead, so as to lessen the stench, and they
also escaped unharmed. When Pickett's charge was well
advanced, General Stannard ordered the Thirteenth, which held
the right of his brigade, forward to the slight breastwork of
rails. On arriving Randall ordered them to halt, lie down and
hold their fire. At their left, the Fourteenth, which extended
diagonally down into the valley, had opened upon the charging
column and it was then moving rapidly by the flank or left
oblique in front of the Thirteenth. No sooner had the men of
the latter become prostrate than a volley passed over their
heads which must have nearly annihilated them had they been
standing. In a moment the Sixteenth, which had been deployed
as skirmishers, fell back through the line and then the
Thirteenth received the welcome order to fire. The men had a
short range and deadly aim and as the smoke lifted, it was seen
that they had done fearful execution. The fire was vigorously
returned, but with little loss, and meanwhile the enemy
continued to move to the right until the front of the
Thirteenth was uncovered. General Stannard then directed the
regiment to "change front forward on first company," that is,
to advance to the right and form a line at right angles with
its present position. The din was so great that Colonel
Randall could not make his orders understood, so he rushed
along his line from left to right, shouting "By the right
flank, follow me." After leading two hundred yards to the
right and descending into a little depression, the new
alignment was made upon the flank of the enemy, and so very
near that there might easily have been hand-to hand encounters.
The Vermonters had loaded on the run and no sooner were they in
line than they began firing. At the same time the line at
their right and front from which they had advanced was pouring
a deadly fire into the faces of the charging force, which had
now become a mass, and very soon Pickett was assailed upon his
left flank by Gen. Alexander Hayes' brigade. Within a minute
or two, seemingly, after the Thirteenth opened upon them in
this position, the Confederates began to throw down their
rifles and wave their hands in token of surrender. Randall
ordered his regiment to cease firing, but the order was not
heard. Breaking through the line to the front and turning his
back to the enemy, he waved his sword and hat and shouted his
order until it was understood. Then, though still under fire
from the enemy and from the Union line above and from our
Batteries, he moved rapidly among the yielding host, directing
them into his line, and there captured two hundred forty-three
officers and men. Meanwhile the Sixteenth had come up and
formed on his left and was firing upon those who were running
away. It soon faced about and charged four hundred yards upon
the left flank of Wilcox. Companies G and I of the Thirteenth,
under command of Major Boynton, guarded the prisoners to the
rear and the regiment returned to the point whence it started.
The battle was soon over, but the enemy continued an artillery
fire, from which the brigade suffered some loss.

The companies of the Thirteenth participating in this
famous attack, stood in the following order from right to left:
A, Capt. John Lonergan; G, Lieut. Albert Clarke; I, Lieut.
Chester W. Searles; E, Capt. Andrew J. Davis; C, Capt. Lewis L.
Coburn; H, Capt. Aro P. Slayton; K, Capt. George G. Blake; F,
Lieut. Justin Naramore; D, Capt. George Bascom; B, Capt. Orcas
C. Wilder.

The losses of the Thirteenth in this battle were eleven
killed, eighty-one wounded and twenty-three missing. As
previously stated, they must have been much greater but for
careful management to save life and for the impetuosity of the
onslaughts, by which the enemy was partially crippled before he
could destroy.

Little remains to be recorded. With the rest of the
brigade and the army, the Thirteenth marched on the 6th of July
in pursuit of the retreating enemy. On the night of the 7th it
crossed Catoctin Mountain in Maryland, over the worst possible
road and under a heavy rain, and the next day bivouacked near
Middletown, where it was passed and cheered by the Old Brigade,
and where, its term of service having expired, it was ordered
home. After a stay in barracks at Brattleboro, during which
the regiment was reviewed and thanked by Governor Holbrook, it
was mustered out on the 21st of July, about one year after most
of the men had enlisted and in a few weeks many of its members
re-entered the service in other organizations.


Fairfax Court House, Va.
(Repulse of Stuart's Raid), Dec. 28, 1862.
Gettysburg, Pa., July 1, 2 and 3, 1863.

Battles Fought

Fought on 29 December 1862 at Fairfax Court House, VA.
Fought on 09 March 1863.
Fought on 14 May 1863.
Fought on 14 May 1863 at Near Fairfax Station, VA.
Fought on 02 July 1863 at Gettysburg, PA.
Fought on 03 July 1863 at Gettysburg, PA.

1880 United States Federal Census Record
about Leroy Prescott
Name: Leroy Prescott
Age: 36
Estimated birth year: <1844>
Birthplace: Vermont
Occupation: Miner
Relationship to head-of-household: Self
Home in 1880: Forest, Sierra, California
Marital status: Single
Race: White
Gender: Male
Father's name: David Prescott
Father's birthplace: VT
Mother's birthplace: VT

1900 United States Federal Census Record
about Le Roy Prescott
Name: Le Roy Prescott
Home in 1900: Summerland, Santa Barbara, California
Age: 53
Estimated birth year: 1847
Birthplace: Vermont
Race: White
Relationship to head-of-house: Head

1910 United States Federal Census Record
about Le Roy Prescott
Name: Le Roy Prescott
Age in 1910: 66
Estimated birth year: abt 1844
Birthplace: Vermont
Home in 1910: 1-Twp, Santa Barbara, California
Race: White
Gender: Male

Sponsored by Ancestry


Plan a visit to Leroy Prescott?



  • Created by: Jenn Lewallen
  • Added: 3 Apr 2006
  • Find A Grave Memorial 13843639
  • Find A Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com : accessed ), memorial page for Leroy Prescott (Aug 1846–12 Sep 1911), Find A Grave Memorial no. 13843639, citing Santa Barbara Cemetery, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara County, California, USA ; Maintained by Jenn Lewallen (contributor 46582334) .