Russell L. “Rus” Yancey

Russell L. “Rus” Yancey

Shelby County, Missouri, USA
Death 17 Aug 1910 (aged 42)
Leavenworth, Chelan County, Washington, USA
Burial Hunnewell, Shelby County, Missouri, USA
Memorial ID 131019366 · View Source
Suggest Edits

thanks to Gene Phillips for the transcription:

Awful Story of Accident in the Cascade Mountains.


Russell Yancey Killed by Accidental Discharge of His Own Rifle.

A short item in yesterday's World made mention of the death of Russell Yancey, caused by the accidental discharge of his own gun at Mad river. The facts attendant to the accident was learned last night when the body of the dead man arrived in Leavenworth. Russell Yancey was here from Hunnewell, Missouri. He came with his wife and two children to spend a month with the Gibbons and Piersol families. Himself and family together with members of the family of his relatives, left Leavenworth a few days for the Mad river country which is located about thirty miles north of Leavenworth in the Cascade Mountains.

Here was where the sheep belonging to Mr. Gibbons were ranging and amid this wild and rugged country they had prepared to spend some time in camp life. Mrs. Yancey, who was in delicate health on arriving here began at once to improve. The conditions in this locality are ideal for those who love outdoor sport. Last Monday Russell Yancey and his brother Otis left the
camp on horseback to hunt bear. The scenes and experiences were all new and it was with the greatest of enjoyment that they set out. They succeeded in making their way up the mountainside a distance of two miles from camp. Here they came across some bear tracks. Otis Yancey's horse was ahead and made a leap to clear a boulder. Russell Yancey followed but his horse stumbled. His rifle which was loaded but on the safety lock, struck on the ground and was discharged, the ball passing through his leg close to the hip.

Immediately help was summoned from Leavenworth, but owing to the long distance and the conditions of the mountain trail it was 13 long hours before the doctor could arrive. In the meantime the man was suffering intense pain and could not be moved. Those in camp carried the tent and other necessaries up the mountainside where they pitched the tent and spent the night. Dr. Hoxsey arrived at 2 o'clock in the morning. It was found to save the man's life he must be gotten out where better care could be given. In order to do this it was necessary to cross up the side of the mountain, zig-zag back and forth to the crest and down over the other side. The wounded man was placed on a stretcher and over this rough and dusty road the litte party made it's way. For 13 miles the trail was steep and hard to trave, but over this awful trail, the wounded man was carried. Only two men could carry htm at a time and there were four men in the party.

Wife Proved a Heroine.

During all this time without sleep his wife was at his side. Though in delicate health herself, this woman is a heroine and during the trip over the trail shared in the hardships of the journey.

The wounded man weighed 185 pounds and the difficulty of getting him over the mountains seemed almost an impossibility.

E. D. Shugart had been notified to meet the party at the wagon road at 5 p. m. Tuesday. This was twenty-three miles north of Leavenworth. On arriving there the party had not yet arrived. He spent the night there and on their non-appearance by morning went up the hill to meet them. The party, more dead than alive was placed in the vehicle and started toward Leavenworth.

Died on the Way.

When about thirteen miles out of Leavenworth. when climbing the hill to the divide, the suffering man who had been unconscious for some time passed away -- he himself crossing over the Great Divide.

A co-incidence in regard to the death was the fact that one year ago the Gibbons baby died at the same place while climbing the same hill. In that instance also E. D. Shugart was the driver and it was in the same buggy that the sick baby was being carried to Leavenworth.

The body of Mr. Yancey was brought to Leavenworth, where it was taken to the Hamilton Undertaking parlors.

Mrs. Piersol and the younger child of the Yancey's had been left at the camp. On seeing Yancey aboard a rig bound for Leavenworth. John Gibbons and Otis Yancey returned to the camp. They are expected back tonight.

On arriving at Leavenworth Mrs. Yancey and son and Walt Gibbons were taken to the home of Mrs. A. J. Martin. It developed later that Hunnewell, Missouri, from which place the Yanceys had come, was her native town. Her maiden name was Dye, and both women had many common acquaintances.

The body of the dead man was brought to Wenatchee early this morning and will be shipped to his old home in Hunnewell, Missouri, where Interment will take place.

Wenatchee Daily -18 Aug 1910

thanks to Gene Phillips for the transcription

Hunnewell Graphic Aug. 26, 1910.
Provided by the Shelby County Historical Society, Shelbina, MO


On the 2nd of August, Russell Yancey and family left for a visit with relatives in Washington, the trip being taken for the benefit of Mrs. Yancey who had been in poor health for some time, and he had written his friends here that he was enjoying himself immensely and had planned to have even a better time on his hunting trip, and this community was shocked when the news was received here last Thursday morning that he had accidentally shot himself while hunting in the mountains, and had died from the effects of the wound.
Russell L. Yancey the eldest son of Dr. and Mrs. A. L. Yancey, deceased, was born on his grandfather's farm near Kendall, on March 12, 1868, and passed away on August 17, 1910. He was united in marriage to Miss Mayme Hickman, of this city, October 6, 1896, to this union there were born two children, Mildred and Russell. Immediately after their marriage they moved to the Yancey farm 5 miles north of town, where they have resided ever since.
Rus, as he was familiarly known by both old and young in this city and vicinity, was a quiet and unassuming man yet he counted his friends by the score and was highly esteemed by all who knew him. He was of strict integrity and was always ready to help those who needed assistance and was a true friend and neighbor and this community where he has spent his entire life will greatly miss him.
His remains, accompanied by his devoted wife and children and his brother Otis, arrived here on the afternoon train. Wednesday, August 24, and were taken to the home of his wife's parents Mr. and Mrs. Joseph HIckman.
Funeral services were held at the Christian church Thursday morning at 10 o'clock by Rev. G. W. Buckner, of Canton, who officiated at his wedding fourteen years ago, and his remains were laid to their final resting place in the Hazelwood Cemetery. (he was buried in the Browne Cemetery).
He leaves to mourn his death, a devoted wife, one son and one daughter, five sisters, and two brothers besides many relatives and friends.
The deceased was beneficiary member of the Modern Woodmen and also carried insurance in other companies.

Sponsored by Ancestry


Planning a visit to Browne Cemetery?



  • Maintained by: djyancey
  • Originally Created by: Mary Clarkson Turek
  • Added: 7 Jun 2014
  • Find A Grave Memorial 131019366
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Russell L. “Rus” Yancey (11 Mar 1868–17 Aug 1910), Find A Grave Memorial no. 131019366, citing Browne Cemetery, Hunnewell, Shelby County, Missouri, USA ; Maintained by djyancey (contributor 48011771) .