The Sun, Indianapolis, Indiana, Monday, 02 Apr 1894, Page 1:
HE TOOK PRUSSIC ACID
AND HIS LIFE WENT OUT IN A MOMENT.
The Strange Suicide of Young Chomel, an Employe of the Catholic Record--No Cause Given as to Why He should Desire to Die.
"Good-bye, boys, 'Skip's gone."
These were the last words that Julius Chomel uttered on this earth as he immediately drank an ounce of prussic acid and was dead in a few minutes.
Shortly after noon, Monday, Chomel entered Helm's drug store, at the corner of Illinois and Market-sts., and bought 15 cents worth of prussic acid of the clerk, saying he wanted to kill cockroaches. Just before leaving the place he asked the clerk in a commonplace manner: "Is this enough to kill a man?" . . .
Chomel then proceeded to "The club" saloon, a few doors north, where he has friends. He bade all the boys good-bye, as above stated, and went to the rear of the saloon, to the washstand, drank the contents of the vial and then went out the back door. The men in the saloon did not realize what had happened until one of them went to the rear and found Chomel lying on the ground in an unconscious condition. The dispensary physicians were sent for, but he died before an antidote could be administered. He left no note or explanation whatever as to why he committed suicide. ...
Chomel was about 32 years of age, a single man, and a son of Alexander Chomel, the publisher of the Catholic Record. He lived with his father at 100 W. Georgia-st. He was known by the nickname of "Skip."
(Note: The Coroner determined that Julius was insane at the time of his death, as published in papers on the 3rd.)
The Sun, Indianapolis, Indiana, Wednesday, 04 Apr 1894, Page 1, Column 3:
The funeral of Julius Chomel, the young printer who suicide, Monday, by drinking carbolic acid, occurred at St. John's cathedral, Wednesday morning. The remains were interred in Holy Cross cemetery.