Rev Henry Adam Emil Schaefer

Rev Henry Adam Emil Schaefer

Baltimore, Baltimore County, Maryland, USA
Death 19 May 1936 (aged 80)
Providence, Providence County, Rhode Island, USA
Burial Johnston, Providence County, Rhode Island, USA
Memorial ID 119027057 · View Source
Suggest Edits

After his confirmation, on Palm Sunday, 1869, he entered Concordia College, Fort Wayne, graduating from that institution in 1875. In 1878 he graduated from concordia Seminary, St Louis, receiving a call to Marquette, MI and vicinity where he was ordained on Sept. 1, 1878 and installed by the sainted Rev. J.J. Walker. He then served in succession the congregation at Renault, IL, Nov 7,1880 (Glascow) (St. Louis Co.); Rinkelville, Mo, April 12, 1885 (Wellston); Tilsit, Mo. March 27, 1887; Clarks Fork, Mo, March 22, 1896 (Lone Elm); Providence, RI April 3, 1910. In 1930 He retired from the active ministry after an uninterrupted service of fifty-two years.

He married Martha Erck 26 May 1881 Holy Cross Church, St Louis, MO

Martha and Henry had these children:
Henry T. L. Schaefer
Meta Schaefer
Lydia Schaefer
Paul Adolf Schaefer
Concordia "Cordie" "Coredia" Schaefer
Arthur Schaefer
Edna Schaefer

Buried in Providence, Rhode Island

Autobiographical Notes by the Rev. Henry Adam Emil Schaefer born, 1856; died, 1936
(written circa 1932)

My parents were John Henry Schafer born in Lissburg, at Vogelsburg, Hessen Darmstadt on the 24th of July, 1830. My mother was Catherine nee Hilgaertner, born in Londorf on the Tunda, Hessen Darmstadt on the 27th of March, 1834. They did not know one another out in Germany, but became acquainted here in America in the city of Baltimore.

Father left Germany at the age of 21 making the voyage on a sail boat which took 3 months. Mother left Germany at the age of 16. She and her brother Ludwig also came over on a sail boat which took them 3 months also. Mother had relatives in Baltimore, they were furniture dealers, a Mr. William Miller and his wife Gretel. I think the re¬lationship was uncle and niece. I do not know exactly which year my parents immigrated to America, but I think it was in 1853. Father being by trade a cabinet maker found work with Mr. Miller either before or after he got acquainted with Mother. Mother was hired out as a cook with the Winans having a big estate on Baltimore, Fremont, Hollins and Columbia St. On her day off, she visited the Millers, and this visit made her acquainted with Father who as much I know boarded with Millers. But it did not remain a mere matter of acquaintance hut developed into a mutual love affair, which terminated into their marriage on the 13th of May, 1855.

Winans were so well satisfied with Mother's cooking that they suggested to her to stay with them and offered some kind of position to Father on their big estate, but Father would not listen to it, saying that he would rather live alone with his wife whom he thought he could support, otherwise he would not have married. I do not know where they made their first home, but I have an idea with Miller's whose place was on Howard St. What makes me think so is because I was told that I was born on Howard St. near Lexington Ave. My recollections of my childhood up to the time I was sent to school are very meager, in fact I have none.

Being the oldest in the family I very likely had to assist Mother as far as I was able. Our parochial school was on Fremont St. near Saratoga. The teachers' staff was B. Freitag, Mrs. Briel, and a certain man especially for the teaching of English. I do not know whether I am correct in writing their names. Aside of the school there was a large play yard, a lower one for the girls and a hill for the boys. I had not been going to school very long when a misfortune happened to me, of which to this day I have a mark on my forehead. Two of the older boys had a struggle, Andrew Biffle and John Briel, one took a stick away from the other and ran off with it, the other picked up a piece of coal and threw it after him but struck me in the forehead. Very likely some of the coal dust remained in the wound, it healed but left a blue mark an easy sign of detection if ever someone were looking for me.

At school I did my duty and can say, that I was as far as my word is of value I was a good obedient scholar, advancing in all branches. Then bought for I remember teacher Freitag several times during the school hours sent me on errands to teachers of our other schools or to buy some material. At home of course my chores grew with my age. I well remember my mother on Saturday morning would send me upstairs to clean the rooms, make beds, etc. Often she asked me to take care of the bread in the pans, when Mother had to do some necessary shopping I would have to work the dough until it raised to a certain height and then put it in the stove. Besides of this I was to take care of the younger ones, sweep and straighten up the kitchen, set the table. Only one thing went against my grain; namely, when I was asked to scrub the outside steps, for there were some boys coming along making fun of me.

One instance I must relate here, because it happened in those times. It was in the winter season not far from our home was a big hill, used by the boys for sleighing. I asked to go out but did not get father's consent, after pleading with him he told me that I might go. I did go and was drawing my sleigh up the hill near the curbing when all at once I was struck on my legs by one of those large coasters, flew over the crowd and landed on my face cutting my lower lip where the scar can yet be detected. That ended my sleighing and when I came home bleeding and crying also, Father after investigating the truth said, "That serves you right; you would not listen." This last instance happened while we were living on Mulberry St. half way down to Pearl St.

In my thirteenth year Father bought the house at 643 West Baltimore St., but there were alterations necessary to have his gallery there also. A Mr. Karsten made these alterations and built the gallery. This had hardly been finished when his neighbor Volkerd sued him as having built over his line. The case went to court, but after a thorough investigation was decided in father's favor, and this relieved him of much anxiety. As spite work the neighbors erected a high brick wall between as but only to his own damage, for he blocked out all light especially on the first floor. After years at the instigation of Mrs. Volkerd’s end, especially her children, a more friendly attitude showed itself. The purchase of the house, the alteration, and law suit was quite a burden for father. Must say I never heard him complain, when I look back at this I am astonished and often ask myself, how did Father, with the constantly increasing family, do this, especially taking the following into consideration.

The time of my Confirmation took place on Palm Sunday, 1869, just before I was thirteen. Now the parents, especially Father, had set it in his mind that I should, God willing, study for a minister. After my Confirmation I went to the public school for a short while and Mother was getting things ready for my departure for the college at Fort Wayne, which opened on the first of September. I again here must express my astonishment and ask how could Father do it for as much as I know he defrayed all expenses during my college term. Fortunately, a few other boys were going to college also and this made things look a little brighter although I think at the time we left, my heart was not so joyful and happy as I may have outwardly appeared. Ten months was a long time especially when you have never been away from home for any length of time. I remember that I was out at Long Green, Maryland with Uncle Henry's family but that visit was only of short duration as we were glad to leave the country again.

Well, I entered Fort Wayne College in 1869. This was at the time the only so-called full college of the Missouri Synod. The faculty consisted of the following: Director Alex Saxer, instructor in Latin and Greek; Lange, instructor in English in the lower classes; R. Engel, by the way nephew of Dr. Walther, who taught arithmetic, but was not in the best to keep order in classroom. While he was demonstrating at the black-board the boys in the rear who play havoc, catch ball, make purzelbaum (somersaults), threw spit balls, etc. which was very seldom noticed by the professor. At times he imagined that he had said some funny remark, at least the boys would give their assent to his remarks by loud laughing and hollering all kinds of things as for instance London is on fire. As soon as you stepped in the recitation hall you would right away know where he had his class room. It was especially the 3rd and 4th class (Quarts and Tertia) which excelled in this frolic. Prof. Bishop, teacher in English in the middle and upper classes, Rector Schick, teacher in Latin and Hebrew in the two highest classes.

In the winter, I think it was the Christmas vacation, fire broke out in the then main building. For the larger building was then not yet ready to be occupied. The building where the fire broke out had a small square tower. Of course everyone was excited, and I see Prof. Engel walking on the side-walk separating the building from the dining room stroking his full beard and making the remark, "Das Turmchen brent aber schon." (the little tower burns bright).

The younger boys were now quartered in the large dining room, and the older boys were quartered in the city at the homes of congregational members, but they in part abused the privilege and began to visit saloons. They were reported and had to come before the faculty, which punished some of the main leaders with bodily punishment, being locked up for several hours in small rooms in the cellar of the new building. Dr. Schick had a peculiar way of punishing the younger boys, on a Saturday morning after study course he would either have them pick up the broken bricks etc. and pile them at some place or he would have them carry cord wood piled near the new building over the end of the playground and back again or he would make them report at a certain hour after they had been to town to get their wash, etc. Dr. Schick was a good director but strict, at times when necessary he would show a friendly fatherly attitude, at one time he began Greek in the 4 class or Tertia and if a scholar would make this class, he was quite sure that he would pass the rest.

Knowing that this certain fourth class was difficult and being afraid that I might not pass I wanted to quit after passing the third class (Quarts.), but Father persuaded me to keep up my studies and promised me a present, if I would make the fourth class which I did as far as I can remember with little exertion. After coming home for vacation father gave me the ring I'm wearing on my left hand and a set of shirt studs. Although we had again a change of teachers (Stellhorn) I passed the two last classes in Fort Wayne.

On the Christmas vacation of the last year I was permitted to go home with a friend of mine in Baltimore (O. Schoenrich). I visited during that time the dissecting room of a medical college on Lombard St. partly to overcome a certain aversion against dead people and partly to see a little of the work required in the study for doctor, for I always had a desire to study for a doctor. But here again Father and Rev. Hauser persuaded me to go to St. Louis and prepare for the ministry; which I did. At my time it was a common thing that every student of Fort Wayne would be attacked by the old chill and fever and swallow lots of quinine. I was fortunate not to be afflicted during my stay in Fort Wayne., but in my vacation from Fort Wayne to St. Louis I did get the chills very bad, but was cured by a homeopathic doctor, the house doctor of the parents, but the doctor would not let me go to St. Louis before the end of the term.

My departure from Baltimore was extended a few days so that I did not reach St. Louis until the first day of November. I well remember when I presented my excuse for coming so late he said I should have been there a few dews earlier because my excuse was dated on one of the last days in October. The first year I had no wash platz (place), but inquired on Sunday around the college going off and on to Kalbfleisch's and to Erck's, teacher at Holy Cross Church (also organist) and whose son Herman was a classmate who told me that the two full years I was to be there "wash student." A Norwegian, Olaf Mandt, was their student then for the last year. Beside my classmate there were two more boys and five girls which made it very pleasant and gave me the second youngest daughter (Martha Erck) as my wife, who had always been a faithful, loving, and patient wife and with whom I was permitted in 1931 to celebrate our golden wedding anniversary, at which all of our children were present and my brother Theodore, my sisters, Tillie, Anna, Katie and Martha.

The first year in St. Louis I had four professors: Dr. C. F. W. Walther, Prof Schaller. Guenther and Prof Schmidt. During, the following vacation Schmidt left and was one of the main opponents in the Predestination Controversy. This gave us but three professors for the next two years. I know of nothing special during my study in St. Louis. In June 1878 we made our examination and were now candidates for the ministry. The names of my classmates were the following: Rev. Henry Birkner, Rev. P. Pechthold, Rev. Borth.

Naturally, I was as inquisitive as all the rest were as to where I would be placed. On Ascension Day coming home from church and passing Dr. Walther's home who was right ahead of us he told Herman Erck and me the place we were assigned to. Herman Erck to Town Wien in the woods of middle Wisconsin, and I as traveling missionary in the northern part of Michigan with the following places: Marquette, Menominee, Republic, Mary, and a number of other places. Part of the time I also attended Hancock, Houghton, Calumet, Eagle Harbor and Eagle Lake all restricted in the peninsula extending out into Lake Superior, a vacancy had occurred here and I was asked to look after these places, but several months later these places were again supplied by Rev. Phillip Wambsganss now for many years in Fort Wayne. I left Michigan the later part of 1878 stopping off at St. Louis for a few days where I met Rev. Lochner, member of the mission board. After a few days I went to Wisconsin where I was to meet Rev. J. J. Walker who was to ordain me in Marquette on the 1st of September. We arrived there the day before, Saturday, and having no other place we lodged that night at a boarding house, connected with a saloon. After the Ordination (I) told the people that it would not be the proper place for their minister, and they would have to find another place. I was ordained the following day in the Ruby Church. About 2 p.m. the train left which we were to take. We shook hands, said good-bye and now paddle your own course. There I was thrown among strangers and finely took a person who had been thrown about alone on a lonely stand.

This is a transcription of a copy of four type-written pages in the possession of E. Ruth (Schaefer) Fleming. Scanned and lightly edited by Adolph Wismar, Jr., 2008


In their memory
Plant Memorial Trees

Sponsored by Ancestry


  • Created by: Dave Milster
  • Added: 20 Oct 2013
  • Find a Grave Memorial 119027057
  • Find a Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Rev Henry Adam Emil Schaefer (12 May 1856–19 May 1936), Find a Grave Memorial no. 119027057, citing Highland Memorial Park, Johnston, Providence County, Rhode Island, USA ; Maintained by Dave Milster (contributor 47135019) .