Homer Curtiss

Homer Curtiss

Warren, Litchfield County, Connecticut, USA
Death 18 Apr 1886 (aged 98)
Waverly, Morgan County, Illinois, USA
Burial Waverly, Morgan County, Illinois, USA
Plot 211
Memorial ID 11767168 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Father: Augustine Curtiss (Probably his grave) b: 8 Nov 1761 in Warren Litchfield County Connecicut,USA
Mother: Lodema Sackett This is probably her grave. b: 27 Jan 1767 in Kent Litchfield County Ct,USA

Brother of Lucinda Curtiss Peters and Erastus Curtiss. Uncle to Erastus's son Ralph C. Curtiss

Husband of Clara "Charry" Everett Curtiss.

Father of Frederick Hyde Curtiss, Theodore Everett Curtiss and Augustien A. Curtiss.

Two female children remained in Warren Ct. One was Miranda Ana Curtiss b. 15 Aug 1811, she married Martin B. Strong in 1837. The other was Lodema b.7 Oct. 1822, she married James Ryder Godfrey.

Portions of family letters.

The moving of the family, 1837.

After selling off his property, in Warren, CT., Grandfather Homer Curtiss started west with his family (wife and three of the five children) and in company with some others, with about $1500.00 in money and three small trunks. The trip cost him about $400.00. Uncle Augustine took them to Bridgeport, by team, arriving there April 6th, From there they took the packet Fairfield to New York City, arriving 5 PM of the 7th. They stayed at the Philadelphia House all night and the following morning crossed on the ferryboat "Susan" to South Amboy, New Jersey, and there changed to the railroad, crossing the State of New Jersey, a distance of thirty miles, to the Delaware River. This they crossed by boat going to Philadelphia, arriving at 3 PM. the 8th. At eleven the next morning they went via railroad to Columbus, PA. arriving at 6 PM. The canal was not in readiness so they stayed all night, starting at 5 AM, the 10 for Holydaysburg, remaining on the boat the 11th. When they arrived at Holydaysburg they could not get passage till the following day. The 12th they started over the Allegheny Mountains. This was a cable road of some 100 (?) miles. There were seven stationary engines on the east side with fewer on the west, perhaps four. The cars were small and drawn up, tow at a time, between the engines, by cables, and let down in the same way on the other side of the mountain at Johnstown. From there they took a canal boat to Pittsburgh, stayed on the boat the 13th day and night, arriving a Pittsburgh the 14th. The longest passage was from here to Louisville, Ky., on the steamboat "Detroit". (Uncle Theodore and Aunt Laura left the party at Wellsville to visit the Sacketts in Talmadge, OH. and Hines in Canfield, Ohio.) At Cincinnati the boat stopped for two or three hours and the family called at Mr. Starr's, of who Grandfather Curtiss bought a plow. They reached Louisville the 15th, changed boats for Cairo and again for St. Louis and Alton. They reached Alton the 18th at noon and remained there until Monday morning the 20th. They hired a man to take them to Waverly by team. He took the wrong road, going to the head of Apple Creek, driving seventy miles to go fifty. Arrived at Waverly Wednesday night the 22nd, of April, 1837. Grandma says "and never was gladder"----After a long tedious journey --- It seems a long time since we left home but we have been preserved through dangers seen and unseen. Our healths have been good. The river water was so unpleasant to use that it rather seemed as if we should all be sick. The motion of the boat was very unpleasant the manner of living different. Your father has had a relapse and for the last two days was about sick, completely tired out, but he is rested now and feels quite comfortable so he has got to work. They have a physician who boards here. He appears to be a very good man, a pious man. His name is Brown. He is from Goshen, CT., but he has nothing to do at present. It is very healthy".

Rattle snakebite. 1842

"Father(Homer Curtiss) has passed through a scene of distress. Two weeks ago last Saturday he went with Frederick a few rods from the house to remove some heaps of old corn. When putting his hand under the heap to take it up he felt the bite of a rattlesnake. He told Fred (his son Frederick Hyde Curtiss) he was bitten, turned the heap over and there it lay, about 18 inches long. He was very much surprised as well as distressed. Fred calmly took from his pocket a leather string and tied it tight around his finger just above the wound, which was of great service. It was his middle finger, between the first and second joints on his right hand. He came to the stable and took a horse and was at the doctors in ten minutes. He instantly applied ammonia and capsicum, soarigying the wound. Gave it to him freely to take. He came home in an hour. We went to pounding and applying a sort of weed that Dr. Brown ordered. I presume we pounded half a bushel in 48 hours. He was really sick. A sabbath day his arm was very much swollen the whole length. We felt very much alarmed about him. The Dr. said he thought he would be better -----stayed by him till Sabbath when he sent his partner Dr. Watts, to stay with us. He appeared a little more comfortable. On Monday the swelling began to abate. Tuesday he sat up a little. He was pretty feeble. On Wednesday he commenced having the nosebleed at 5 o'clock in the morning. It bled only when we held it. till ten at night. The Dr. stopped it by corking the nostril and kept it so thirty-eight hours when it was removed. It has not bled any since. He was reduced very much but since then has been gradually gaining and is now able to work some. The finger is better but it has a deep sore on it. We think he will have the use of it soon. He is rending lath - gets out 400 in a day it has been a season of deep solicitude with us. Your Father says he thinks it was not mere chance but designed by a king Providence for a check upon his worldly mind. Those reptiles are tolerably plenty here but they seldom bite and never except when provoked.

Its Past and present
Chicago: Donnelley, Loyd & Co., Publishers, 1878.

CURTISS, HOMER, a prominent citizen of Morgan Co., and one of the oldest residents now living in State or county; was born in Litchfield Co., Conn., May 20, 1787. During his early life he followed agricultural pursuits, and teaching school during the winter. One of his pupils, with whom he formed a cordial friendship, Mr. Sturtevant, afterward became president of the Illinois College, situated at Jacksonville. Mr. C. was united in marriage to Miss Charry Everitt October 25, 1810. Children born of this marriage: Ora M. born August 15, 1811, wife of Martin B. Strong; Theodore E. whose portrait appears in this work, born May 28, 1813; Augustine A. April 3, 1817; Frederick H. March, 1825, and Lodema October 7, 1822, wife of James R. Godfrey, of Madison Co. during the Spring of 1837 Homer Curtiss left Connecticut, where so many years of his life were spent, and accompanied by his family, moved to Morgan Co., Ill., and located on the farm property he now owns, consisting then and now of 200 acres. For upwards of forty years Mr. Curtiss has been in our midst, and none stand higher in the estimation of the people of this county who know him, for his strict integrity. In the Autumn of 1876 Mrs. C. was laid at rest. There thus passed away one of those noble women whom none know but delight to honor, and whose death was deeply deplored. Mrs. C. was born in Connecticut, in 1789.

Weygant, p. 254; gives five children but no name for his spouse
Carter Genealogy, p. 38; has only his birth date
1880 Census; Waverley, Morgan, Illinois
FHL Film: 1254238; NA Film Number: T9-0238
Page Number: 333A
A. A. CURTISS, Self, M, Male, W, 63, CT, Farmer, CT, CT
Huldah L. CURTISS, Wife, M, Female, W, 63, CT, Keeping House, CT, CT
Homer CURTISS, Father, W, Male, W, 93, CT, Farmer, CT, CT
Morgan County Illinois
Waverly East Cemetery
Waverly Township T13N R8W 3rdPM
W½-NW1/4, Section 12
Curtiss, Homer 20 May 1787 - 18 Apr 1886

Family Members




  • Maintained by: Paula Berry Nelson
  • Originally Created by: Cheryl Behrend
  • Added: 17 Sep 2005
  • Find a Grave Memorial 11767168
  • Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com : accessed ), memorial page for Homer Curtiss (20 May 1787–18 Apr 1886), Find a Grave Memorial no. 11767168, citing Waverly East Cemetery, Waverly, Morgan County, Illinois, USA ; Maintained by Paula Berry Nelson (contributor 46625006) .