Margaret <I>Mann</I> Foutz

Margaret Mann Foutz

Tomstown, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, USA
Death 5 Aug 1896 (aged 94)
Pleasant Grove, Utah County, Utah, USA
Burial Pleasant Grove, Utah County, Utah, USA
Plot B-20-006-08
Memorial ID 115420 View Source
Suggest Edits

Margaret Mann Foutz was my great great grandmother. She was married to Jacob Foutz, Sr. a survivor of the Haun's Mill Massacre. She was the mother of Susan Foutz, Polly Ann Foutz, Nancy Ann Foutz, Elizabeth Foutz, Sarah Foutz, Catherine Foutz, Alma Foutz, Joseph Lehi Foutz, Margaret Foutz, Hyrum Foutz, Jacob Foutz, Jr. and Miranda Foutz.

Margaret's autobiography accounts her experience during the massacre and was written in 1876.

"I was at home with my little family of five children and could hear the firing of guns. In a moment I knew the mob was upon us. Soon a runner came telling the women and children to hasten into the timber and secret ourselves, which we did without taking anything to keep us warm. And had we been fleeing from the scalping knife of the Indian we would not have made greater haste, and as we went we finally numbered about forty or fifty women and children.
We ran about three miles into the woods and there huddled together, spreading what few blankets and shawls chance only had thrown in our path, upon the ground for the children and here we remained until two o'clock the next morning before we heard anything of the result of the firing at the mill. Who can imagine our feelings during this dreadful suspense? And when the news did come, oh! what terrible news; fathers, husbands, brothers and sons, inhumanly butchered!
We now took up the line of march for home. Alas what a home! Who would we find there and now with our minds full of the most fearful forebodings, we retraced those dreary long miles.
As we were returning I saw a Brother Myers who had been shot through his body. In that dreadful state he crawled on his hands and knees about two miles to his home.
After I arrived at my house with my children, I then made a fire and we warmed ourselves. We then started for the mill, which was over one mile from our house. My children said if Father and Mother are going to be killed, we want to be with them.
It was about seven o'clock in the morning when we arrived at the mill. The first house I came to there were three dead men, one a Brother McBride, I was told that he was one of the survivors of the Revolution. He was a terrible sight to see, having been cut and chopped and terribly mangled with a corn cutter.
I hurried on to find my husband. I found him in an old house covered with rubbish. The mob had taken the bedding and clothing from all the houses that were near the mill. My husband was shot in the thigh. I rendered him all the aid that I could but it was evening before I could get him home.
I saw thirteen more dead bodies at the shop and witnessed the beginning of the burial which consisted in throwing the bodies into an old dry well. So great was the fear of the men that the mob would return and kill what few men that were left that they threw the bodies in head first or feet first as the case might be. When they had thrown in three my heart sickened and I could not stand it more. I turned away to keep from fainting.
My husband and another Brother drew dead bodies on themselves and pretended to be dead and by so doing saved their own lives and heard what the mob said. After the firing was over two little boys that were in the shop begged for their lives, but 'No,' they said, 'Damn them, they will make Mormons.' And they put the muzzle of their guns to their heads and blew their brains out.
What a change one short day had brought! Here were my friends dead and dying. One in particular asked me to give him relief by taking a hammer and knocking out his brains, so great was his agony from his wounds, and we knew not what moment our enemies would be upon us.
And all this, not because we had broken any of the laws, on the contrary, it was a part of our religious belief to keep the laws of the land.
In the evening Brother Evans got a team and wagon and conveyed my husband to his house, carried him in and placed him on the bed. I then had to attend him alone, without any doctor or anyone to tell me what to do for him. Six days after, I and my husband together, extracted the bullet, it being buried deep in the thick part of the thigh and flattened like a knife.
During the first ten days the mob came every day with blackened faces, more like demons from the infernal pit than like human beings, cursing and swearing that they would kill that damn old Mormon preacher. (Jacob Foutz) And, at times like these when human nature would quail, I have felt the power of God upon me to that degree that I have stood before them fearless and although a woman and alone, these demons in human shape had to succumb, for there was a power they knew not of. During these days of danger I would sometimes have to hide my husband out in the woods and cover him with leaves. And, then again in the house. Thus during my husband's illness was I harassed by mobocratic violence."
Margaret Mann's parents were Mary and David Mann. Her father died when she was four years old, leaving her mother with six boys and five girls, one child having died in infancy. Seven years later the mother died and Margaret was kindly adopted by David and Ann Borier, very religious people who kept Sabbath on Saturday. Margaret strived to repay their kindness by working hard and was blessed with good health. She milked cows, churned the milk, and after working all day arose at midnight to prepare a meal for a traveler. The parents provided her with an education in a log school house near her home. The teacher was a quiet man who rapped a marching cadence by means of a stick on a desktop and when he was through the children took their seats. Margaret was 14 now, but in responsibility, a woman, soon to meet her future husband. Her adoptive parents ran a tavern, and supported a son who desired to marry Margaret Mann. But the parents loved their foster daughter so much that they refused consent, for the son was not good enough for her. To their home one day came a fine looking young man to borrow an augur. She was very favorable impressed with his personality and ventured to inquire his name. He was Jacob Foutz, of German descent. Margaret decided that here was the man she wished to marry. After a courtship that lasted smoothly for 5 years, they married on July 22, 1819, in Greencastle, Pennsylvania. The young husband was a bricklayer, by trade, rather successful. They moved to Richmond County, Ohio, where they joined the Mormon Church after being taught by the Mormon Missionaries. They followed the Saints and bought land on the Crooked River near Hahn's Mill, Missouri, where Jacob worked. After the Hahn's Mill massacre, Jacob was one of the two men that survived in the blacksmith shop, Margaret finding him lying under a pile of rubbish. He was shot through his thigh, but had saved himself by drawing dead bodies over himself and pretending to be dead. After they got him home, it was six more days of painful suffering before she extracted the bullet with a kitchen knife. Several times she was forced to hide him under the forest leaves when the mob would return searching for him. When the Saints were driven out of Missouri by the mobs, they went to Nauvoo. Soon after arriving Jacob went on a Mission to Pennsylvania leaving Margaret alone with her little family and pregnant. After he returned to Nauvoo, Jacob was called to preside as Bishop of the Fifth Ward, later the Eighth Ward of Nauvoo. It was about April 1846, they left Nauvoo with two wagons crossing the plains toward the Salt Lake Valley. Jacob Foutz was Captain of the second fifty, in the Edward Hunter Company according to the Mormon Church Journal 62, dated Aug 17, 1847. They stayed through the summer and fall of 1846, at Garden Grove to harvest a crop, then moved on to Winter Quarters on the Missouri River." In the spring of 1847, they left Winter Quarters arriving at the Salt Lake Valley Sept of 1847. The family had to live in their covered wagons until Jacob could build them a home. In November of 1847, Bishop Jacob Foutz was again placed as bishop of one of the five wards of the Salt Lake Valley. While her husband had never quite fully recovered from his Hahns Mill wound,and the hardships of crossing the plains, still suffering from bouts of Malaria fever since leaving Nauvoo shortened his life. Jacob was working extremely hard trying to build a home for his family before the harsh winter weather arrived. Jacob passed away five months after his arrival in the city leaving a wife and eight children. The only possessions left to her were seven bushels of wheat, two cows, one city lot and five acres of sagebrush land. In 1851, Margaret moved her family to Pleasant Grove. She spun wool for her neighbors and received wool for her pay. She owned a spinning wheel which allowed her to do this. She then knitted this wool into home spun socks which she sold for a good price." August 5, 1896, she arose as usual for breakfast, tidied up her room and before noon she had passed away at the age of 95. She was buried at the Pleasant Grove Cemetery. Life story by Miranda Foutz Bacon as told to Mr. Alice Packer Foutz in 1920

Gravesite Details

Headstone states Munn. Research has found Mann, Munn and Monn as alternatives.

Family Members


See more Foutz or Mann memorials in: