Pvt Rufus Chester Allen

Pvt Rufus Chester Allen

Delaware County, New York, USA
Death 7 Dec 1915 (aged 88)
Saint George, Washington County, Utah, USA
Burial Saint George, Washington County, Utah, USA
Plot B_9_21_6
Memorial ID 109761 · View Source
Suggest Edits

Son of Albern Allen & Mary Ann Morris

Married Lavenia Elizabeth Hoopes Yearsley, 26 Jun 1853, Salt Lake City, Utah

Married Margaret Ruth McConnell, 20 Mar 1857, Salt Lake City, Utah

Married Laura Elizabeth Chaffin, 5 May 1886, St. George, Washington, Utah

Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia
Volume 1

Allen, Rufus Chester, a veteran Elder in the Church, is the son of Alburn and Marcia Allen, and was born in Delaware county, New York, Oct. 22, 1827. He was baptized in 1838 and ordained a Teacher in Nauvoo, Ill., about 1842. During the general exodus from Nauvoo in 1846 he left for the west. He enlisted in the Mormon Battalion and marched to Los Angeles, Cal., where he was mustered out and came to Great Salt Lake valley in 1847. In 1848 he went east to meet the immigration. He was ordained a Seventy in 1849, and later became a president in the 33rd quorum. In October, 1849, he went south on an exploring trip, with a company under the leadership of Apostle Parley P. Pratt, and in 1851 he was called to go with Apostle Parley P. Pratt and others on a mission to the islands in the Pacific ocean. From San Francisco he accompanied Apostle Pratt on a mission to South America; they landed in Valparaiso, Chili, Nov. 8, 1851, and after an unsuccessful attempt at introducing the gospel in Chili, they returned to Salt Lake City in 1852. Bro. Allen was sent as a missionary to the Indians in the Rio Virgen and Santa Clara country in the spring of 1854, and while laboring there he was called to act as a High Counciler in the Cedar Stake, and was therefore ordained a High Priest. He was released from this mission in September, 1857, and went to Ogden, Weber county, from where he took part in the Utah war in 1857-58. He acted as a High Councilor in Weber Stake for two years, and also as second counselor in the Bishopric of the Third Ward of Ogden. In 1866 he went east as a Church teamster to bring emigrants to the Valley. On his return he settled in Paragoonah, Iron county, where he was chosen second counselor to Bishop William Jones. At present he is living in St. George, Utah, and is laboring in the Temple for his dead relatives. He is also second counselor to Bishop George F. Jarvis, of the Second Ward of St. George.

Rufus Chester Allen Passes Away After Eventful Career; One of First White
Men to Enter "Dixie"
(Includes photo)

Rufus Chester Allen passed away at his home in the city of old age following a short illness Tuesday December 7 1915. in the 89th years of his age. He had a most eventful career, was one of the first white man to enter Dixie
Country on an exploring Expedition before any settlers, and was one of the very few surviving members of the Mormon Battalion.

Rufus Chester Allen was an honorable upright man, an exemplary citizen in every respect, of a kindly disposition and was loved and respected by all who knew him. He is devoted to the church of which he was a member and died full of faith and hopes of a glorious resurrection.

He is survived by his wife, two sons, Bishop Rufus A. Allen of Kingston, Piute Co, and Chester W. Allen of Circleville, Piute Co, one daughter Mrs.. Rachel Emma Berry of St. Johns, Arizona, two brothers living at Ogden, two sisters, numerous grandchildren and about 25 great-grandchildren. The two sons were present at the funeral but the daughter could not be present on account of sickness.

Funeral services were held in the St. George Stake tabernacle Friday December 10, the speakers being Elders David H. Cannon, Schuyler Everett, Brigham Jarvis, Sr., Pres Ed H Snow and Bishop Jas McArthur, each of who
paid high tribute tot he worth and integrity of this departed brother. The bearers were all descendants of Mormon Battalion veterans followed the remains in a body from his late residence to the tabernacle. Interment was
made in the city cemetery.

Rufus Chester Allen was born in New York state October 22, 1827, and was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the year 1887. He left Nauvoo in Daniel Spencer's company in the winter of 1846-7 and
worked day and night assisting to ferry people across the Mississippi river. He drove a team to the Missouri River, Iowa, and on arriving there was called back to Mount Pisgah with others to move a family and good that could
not be taken at first. The next day after returning to the Missouri River, he responded to a call made by the U. S. government upon the authorities of the LDS church to furnish 500 men for the Mexican war; his father and family
arrived before the battalion started, the former, enlisting and making the trip to California with him.

After the battalion was discharged in California in 1847, he joined a company fitted up with pick animals and made the trip to the Salt Lake valley, arriving there in the fall. In the spring of 1848 he went as teamster to meet a company of emigrants on the pains; his mother and family
were in this company and they met on the Platte near 100 miles east of Fort Laramie. He made another trip to meet emigrants in 1849.

Within a few weeks he was called to go south on an exploring expedition. The company, led by P. P. Pratt, traveled thru Sanpete valled then turned west over the mountains to Little Salt Lake calley. Here the company separated and explored in different directions, reassembling in Little Salt Lake valley (now Parowan) in December. The company returned to Salt Lake in March.

In the fall of of 1850 he went part way to Fort Bridger to meet a company of emigrants and on returning to Salt Lake moved to Ogden to live.

Next spring, 1851, he received a letter from the church authorities requesting him to be in Salt Lake within a few days prepared to start on a mission. He complied, not knowing where he would be sent nor on what kind of
mission. He was chosen to accompany Elder Prat to Chili, South America were they labored three months.

In March 1853, he married Lavena H. Yearsley and they made their home in Ogden. The next spring he was chosen as one of the seven presidents of the thirty third quorum of Seventies and sent on a mission to the Indians in
Southern Utah where he labored for three years and six months. In connection with this portion of Mr.. Allen's life, the following quotation is taken from the book published in 1881 by the Juvenile Instructor office on the
life of Jacob Hamblin. Hamblin says:

"On the first of June 1851, I went with Elder R C Allen and others to visit the Indians on the Rio Vargen and Santa Clara, two streams now well known as forming a junction south of the city of St. George."

Rufus Allen up to August 1, 1857 was president of the Southern Indian Mission but generally resided at Harmony. He was released in 1957 as the following extract from a letter from Pre Brigham Young to Jacob Hamblin proves:

"President's Office, Great Salt Lake City, Aug 5, 1857. Elder Jacob Hamblin, You arte hereby appointed to succeed Elder R. C. Allen (whom I have released) as president of the Santa Clara Indian Mission. I wish you to enter upon the duties of your office immediately."

In March 1855, R C Allen was commissioned captain of Company F Battalion of the Infantry at Cedar and Harmony posts, Iron Military District of the Nauvoo Legion. While on the Indian Mission he married Margaret McConnell. He
was released and returned to Ogden in September 1857. During the winter of 1857 he spent a good part of the winter as guard in Echo Canyon.

In 1862 he moved to "Utah's Dixie" believing the warmer climate would be beneficial to his health, as he was suffering with rheumatism. In 1866 he was called to the Missouri river to assist emigration. He left Virginia City
in April and returned to the same place the following October. On this mission he was under command of Capt. Ezra Thompson, who is still living in Scipio; Chas. F. Foster of this city was also a member of this company which
was sent to help poor Saints in from the Missouri river. Another member of the company, Joseph Perkins accidentally shot and killed himself while on the trip.

On account of Indian troubles, the little settlement on North creek was broken up and he located at Kanarra where he held positions as Sunday School superintendent, postmaster, member of the high council and bishop's

In August 1855 he was called to work in the St George temple and spent a year in that labor. In May 1886 he married Laura E. Chafflin and with her spent a portion of his time winter and summer, working in the temple until
the year 1891 when he purchased a home in St. George, where they have since resided.

* Mormon Battalion members


In their memory
Plant Memorial Trees

Sponsored by Ancestry



  • Maintained by: Schott Family
  • Originally Created by: Utah State Historical Society
  • Added: 1 Feb 2000
  • Find a Grave Memorial 109761
  • Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com : accessed ), memorial page for Pvt Rufus Chester Allen (22 Oct 1827–7 Dec 1915), Find a Grave Memorial no. 109761, citing Saint George City Cemetery, Saint George, Washington County, Utah, USA ; Maintained by Schott Family (contributor 46932087) .