John Franklin Patterson

John Franklin Patterson

Death 1 Jun 1997 (aged 67)
Burial San Diego, San Diego County, California, USA
Plot CBC, 2, 35
Military SA, US NAVY
Memorial ID 1064454 View Source
Suggest Edits

John was born with the last name of Freeman. I'm not sure whether his parents were ever married. My mother always implied that she was, but I have my doubts. When she married my Dad, John was 3 years old, he started using the name Patterson. When he joined the Navy in 1948 or 1949, he consulted with one of their JAG officers and was told that as long as there was no intent to defraud, he could use the name Patterson. So all Naval and Social Security Records show his name as Patterson. When he died, I had to file an affidavit regarding my memories of his telling my Mom what the JAG officer told him (I was only 6 at the time, but it is a very clear memory).

John loved playing football at Grossmont High School in LaMesa, San Diego, California. After football, he always seemed to have a weight problem. He joined the Navy and served one year active duty under a program for 1 yr active + 6 years Reserves. After he returned from active duty, he went to work for Convair. When the Korean War broke out his reserve unit was called up, but since he worked at Convair (aircraft assembly) which was necessary for the war effort, he wasn't called up. He would work in that industry for the rest of his working life.

He got laid off at General Dynamics/Convair (late 1959 I think) and finally got a job with Boeing in Los Angeles area. A few years later he returned to Convair/General Dynamics. He worked on the Atlas Rockets for a time and also on the Space Shuttle.

John never married. He was an inveterate gambler. He loved to go to the Calliente Race Track in Tijuana, Del Mar, and the tracks in the LA area. In his later years he enjoyed going to the Indian Casinos.

He had a stroke in 1993. He returned to work for awhile, but ended up retiring when he was 64 (I think). He had another stroke, and his body was found on June 1, 1997

John was survived by me, his baby sister (13 years younger), Gerry Humes, my husband Cecil and my three sons. Not sure how many grand nieces and nephews were alive when he died, but there are now 4 grand nephews and 4 grand nieces (Dec 2008).

Family Members