William Branch, Sr. was the second son of Christopher and Mary (Addie) Branch and was their first child born at "Kingsland", their Henrico County, VA plantation.
Christopher and Mary Branch first settled in Henrico Co., in an area called "ye Colledg Land" (the College Land) circa 1623/24 and in the muster of 1624/25, he, his wife Mary and their 9 months old son, Thomas, were recorded there. Shortly afterward, when the family relocated to "Kingsland" (see attached map for location of "Kingsland"), their plantation on the south side of the James River almost opposite Attowhattocks in Henrico Co., Thomas was listed as the only Virginia born child in the county. "Kingsland", home of the Branch family, just west of "Farrar's Island", was also near "Osborne", home of the Jeffersons (see accompanying historical marker).
William Branch, Sr. was a planter and was the first husband of Jane "Hatcher", daughter of William and Mary (__?__) Hatcher. Much genealogical research and controversy has gone into proving Jane's maiden name. Presently, circumstantial evidence tends to indicate that it was "Hatcher". In her 07 Dec 1709 will she left a damask gown and petticoat to "my sister Hatcher", presumably the wife of one of her brothers. William Branch (age about 31 Y/O) married Jane Hatcher (age about 16 Y/O) in 1656 at Henrico Co., VA. See Jane Gower's Find A Grave memorial for a discussion of her maiden name "Hatcher".
The children of William and Jane (Hatcher) Branch, Sr. were:
1) William Branch, Jr., b. Abt. 1657, d. 1687 without issue, m. Jane Ward
2) John Branch, b. 1659, d. 1688, m. Martha (Grigg?) (Ref: See #2 below, p369).
3) Elizabeth "Jane" Branch Parham (1680-1717), m. Thomas Parham, Jr. NOTE DISCLAIMER: This child was was added erroneously to the FAG memorials of William Branch and his wife, Jane (Hatcher) Branch, as their daughter by FAG contributor "Georgia Girl" in 2013 and was removed by Find A Grave on 10-7-19. Reasons for removal: Elizabeth "Jane" Branch Parham (1680-1717) was born 20 years after the death of William Branch (1626-1660). The 1710 Henrico County, VA will of Jane (Hatcher) Branch Baugh Gower did not mention a daughter named, Elizabeth "Jane" Branch Parham .
William Branch, Sr. died circa 1660 at Henrico Co., VA and was buried at "Kingsland" plantation in the Branch Family Cemetery.
1) "The Family of Bartholomew Stoval" by Neil D. Thompson, 1993, p204
2) "Adventurers of Purse and Person, Virginia, 1607-1624/5" by John Frederick Dorman, Vol. I, 4th Ed., 2004, pp367,368.
3) "The Farrar's Island Family and Its English Ancestry" by Alvahn Holmes, 1972, p146.
Bio by Gresham Farrar.