Suggest Edits
GEN Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr

Photo added by Debbie

GEN Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr

  • Original Name Herbert
  • Birth 22 Aug 1934 Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, USA
  • Death 27 Dec 2012 Tampa, Hillsborough County, Florida, USA
  • Burial West Point, Orange County, New York, USA
  • Plot Section X, Row L, Site 244.
  • Memorial ID 102721714

US Army General. A highly decorated US Army officer, he is best remembered as the Commander of US Central Command (CENTCOM), and was commanded the coalition forces in the Persian Gulf War, from which he received the nickname "Stormin' Norman." Born Herbert Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr., his father was a 1917 graduate of the US Military Academy at West Point, New York and a veteran of World War I, and who later became the Superintendent of the New Jersey State Police, where he worked as a lead investigator on the famous 1932 Lindbergh baby kidnapping case. At the age of eight, his father returned to the military amid World War II. In 1946, at the age of 12, he moved with his father to Tehran, Iran and the following year, the family moved to Geneva, Switzerland where his father was assigned, followed by posts to Germany and Italy. He attended the Community High School in Tehran, later the International School of Geneva, and briefly the Frankfurt High School in Frankfurt, Germany before graduating from Valley Forge Military Academy in Wayne, Pennsylvania. In 1952 he was accepted into the US Military Academy and graduated in 1956 with a Bachelor of Science Degree and a commission as a 2nd lieutenant in the Infantry. From October 1956 to March 1957 he attended the US Army Infantry School at Fort Benning, Georgia. His first assignment was as platoon leader, later executive officer, of E Company, 2nd Airborne Battle Group, 187th Airborne Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Kentucky where he was promoted to the rank of 1st lieutenant in 1958. In July 1959 he was assigned as a staff officer alternating with duties as a platoon leader, liaison officer, and reconnaissance platoon leader, with the 6th Infantry Division in West Germany and the following year he became aide-de-camp to Brigadier General Charles Johnson, who commanded the Berlin Brigade in West Berlin, Germany. In July 1961 he was promoted to the rank of captain and reassigned for Advanced Infantry School at Fort Benning for 8 months. The following June, he enrolled at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California in a Master of Science in Engineering course studying missile mechanics and graduated in June 1964 with a Master of Science in mechanical and aerospace engineering. He returned to West Point to serve as an instructor in the Department of Mechanics. After his first year, he volunteered for service in South Vietnam to enhance his career with combat experience, which was granted in early 1965 with the stipulation that he return to West Point and teach the remaining two years after his tour. He served as a task force advisor to the Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) Airborne Division and was promoted to the rank of major shortly after arriving in Vietnam. After an initial orientation at Military Assistance Command, Vietnam (MACV), headquartered in Saigon, he was sent north to Pleiku in the central highlands, in the II Corps Tactical Zone, where he participated in combat action against the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese Army. After ten months of combat duty, he was reassigned as senior staff adviser for civil affairs to the ARVN Airborne Division. He then returned to the US and finished his teaching assignment at West Point, where he was an associate professor in the Department of Mechanics. In 1968 he attended the Army's Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, completing the course in June 1969. He was then promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel and ordered to a second tour in Vietnam, as executive officer to the chief of staff at MACV headquarters, based at Tan Son Nhut Air Base in Saigon. In 1970 he returned to the US and underwent surgery at Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington DC to repair longstanding back problems exacerbated by parachute jumps. Between 1970 and 1983, he and his family lived primarily in Washington DC, as he took on a number of different assignments. Promoted to the rank of colonel, he volunteered for an assignment in Alaska, and in late 1974 became deputy commander of the 172nd Infantry Brigade at Fort Richardson, Alaska. In October 1976, he was assigned to Fort Lewis, Washington to command the 1st Brigade of the 9th Infantry Division. Upon leaving Fort Lewis, he was promoted to the rank of brigadier general and became deputy director for plans at the US Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii, followed by a 2-year tour as assistant division commander of the 8th Infantry Division (Mechanized) in Germany. He returned to Washington DC for an assignment as director of personnel management for the Army, subordinate to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, General Maxwell R. Thurman and was promoted to the rank of major general. In June 1983 he became commanding general of the 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized) at Fort Stewart, Georgia. On October 25, 1983 he was appointed to the command group for the Invasion of Grenada, as the chief army adviser to the overall operation commander, Vice Admiral Joseph Metcalf III, Commander, US 2nd Fleet/Commander Joint Task Force 120. The operation was plagued by logistical difficulties, exacerbated by poor communication and lack of cooperation between the branches of the US military. He was named deputy commander of the invasion at the last minute, leaving him with little say in the planning, and helped lead the initial landing operations while aboard USS Guam. Following the invasion, he returned to the 24th Infantry Division and completed his tour as its commander. In July 1985 he was assigned to Washington DC as Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations and Plans and the following July he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant general, and was reassigned to Fort Lewis as commander of 1st Corps. In August 1987 he returned to Washington DC as the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations and Plans, where he served as the Army's senior member on the Military Staff Committee at the United Nations Security Council. As a part of his duties during the posting, he sat in on arms reduction talks with leaders from the Soviet Union. In November 1988 he was named Commander-in-Chief of US CENTCOM at MacDill Air Force Base, Florida. In his capacity as commander, he prepared a detailed wargame exercise plan called Internal Look '90, for the defense of the oil fields of the Persian Gulf against a hypothetical invasion by Iraq, among other plans. When Iraq invaded Kuwait in August 1990, he began preparations for Operation Desert Shield to defend Saudi Arabia, who he believed Iraq would target next. He established his forward operations in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and from August through December 1990 he began planning the logistics involved to support the deployment of US Military forces, along with coordinating the contributions of the different nations who were lending military forces to support the effort. During preparations for the invasion of Kuwait, as the result of his initiatives, the Desert camouflage combat uniform was produced in 100% cotton poplin without reinforcement panels in order to improve comfort for U.S. troops operating in the hot, dry desert conditions. By the middle of January 1991 he commanded an international army of 750,000, including 500,000 U.S. troops as well as 250,000 troops from other nations, as well as thousands of main battle tanks, combat aircraft and six carrier battle groups. The air campaign started against Iraq on January 17, 1991, called Operation Desert Storm, destroying the Iraqi military's communications network and supplies, as well as many tanks and armored vehicles, and its nuclear test reactors. On February 24, 1991 he began the ground campaign, and within 90 hours, his force had destroyed 42 of 50 Iraqi Army divisions at a cost of about 125 killed and 200 wounded among American troops, and about 482 killed, 458 wounded among all of the coalition forces. On March 3, 1991 he arrived in Kuwait City, Kuwait to survey the aftermath of the Iraqi occupation and negotiate a ceasefire with Iraqi military leaders. For his services during the war, he was welcomed back to the US with a large parade down Broadway in New York City, New York, a homecoming parade in Washington DC, along with other honors. Following his success in the Gulf War, he indicated a desire to retire from the military in mid-1991. He was initially considered for promotion alternatively to General of the Army or to Army Chief of Staff, and was asked to assume the latter post, but he declined. He retired in August 1991 with 35 years of continuous active service in the US Army. Among his military decorations and awards include the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, the Army Distinguished Service Medal (with three oak leaf clusters), the Navy Distinguished Service Medal, the Air Force Distinguished Service Medal, the Coast Guard Distinguished Service Medal, the Silver Star (with two oak leaf clusters), the Defense Superior Service Medal, the Legion of Merit, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star (with valor device and tow oak leaf clusters), the Purple Heart (with oak leaf cluster), the Meritorious Service Medal (with six oak leaf clusters), the Air Medal (with award numeral 9), the Army Commendation Medal (with valor device and three oak leaf clusters), the Meritorious Unit Commendation, the Army of Occupation Medal, the National Defense Service Medal (with service star), the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, the Vietnam Service Medal (with four bronze campaign stars), the Southwest Asia Service Medal (with three bronze campaign stars), the Army Service Ribbon, and the Army Overseas Service Ribbon (with award numeral 3). His foreign decorations and awards include the US Presidential Medal of Freedom, the British Knight Commander in the Military Division of Most Honourable Order of the Bath (honorary), the French Legion d'honneur, order of Grand Officier, the Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm (with two bronze palms and bronze star), the Republic of Vietnam Armed Forces Honor Medal, First Class, the Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation, the Republic of Vietnam Civil Actions Unit Citation, the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal (with 1960- device), the Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabia), the Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kuwait), and the Republic of Vietnam Master Parachutist Badge. He also wore the Combat Infantryman Badge and the Master Parachutist Badge. After his retirement, he moved to Tampa, Florida and became a celebrity, often appearing as a public speaker. In 1992 he published his memoir about his life entitled "It Doesn't Take a Hero." He supported several children's charities and national philanthropic causes, and he was a spokesperson for prostate cancer awareness, recovery of the grizzly bear from endangered species status, served on the Nature Conservancy Board, and briefly served as a military commentator for NBC. He was asked on several occasions to run for US Senate or US President as a member of the Republican Party but showed no interest. He died of complications from pneumonia at the age of 78.

Bio courtesy of: Wikipedia

Family Members





How famous was GEN Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr?

Current rating:

393 votes

to cast your vote.

  • Maintained by: Find A Grave
  • Originally Created by: Debbie
  • Added: 27 Dec 2012
  • Find A Grave Memorial 102721714
  • Find A Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for GEN Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr (22 Aug 1934–27 Dec 2012), Find A Grave Memorial no. 102721714, citing United States Military Academy Post Cemetery, West Point, Orange County, New York, USA ; Maintained by Find A Grave .