Eliza Catharine “Kate” <I>Limes</I> Gaskill

Eliza Catharine “Kate” Limes Gaskill

Fayette County, Ohio, USA
Death 4 Jan 1910 (aged 71–72)
Aline, Alfalfa County, Oklahoma, USA
Burial St. John, Stafford County, Kansas, USA
Plot Section A
Memorial ID 102543427 · View Source
Suggest Edits


A man who is variously distinguished in Aline and other Oklahoma localities is Edgar Benton Marchant; in law, in politics, in Masonic activities, he holds high rank as a citizen of ability. It will be of interest to review his ancestry and to trace the causes of his success from stage to stage of his career.

Both parents of Mr. Marchant were persons of strong character and high ideals, his father being of French and his mother of Irish origin. Abraham Marchant, the former, was a native of Fayette County. Ohio, and followed agricultural pursuits throughout his life. At the outbreak of the Civil war, he was in California and enlisted in Company G of the Second California Cavalry. He died in service in 1861. He was one of the five sons of William Marchant, a relative of the noted Marchant family of Rhode Island.

Mrs. Abraham Marchant, the mother of our subject, was, like her husband, a native of Ohio, and on her mother's side a descendant of one of the old Virginia families. Mrs. Marchant, nee Catharine Limes, was when still a very young woman, a very ardent advocate of temperance. In 1866 she participated in one of the famous crusades against the liquor traffic. This courageous raid took place at Greenfield, Ohio, and is said to have been the first "slashing raid" ever made against the saloon evil. All her life was devoted in generous measure to influence against the national curse of alcoholism and in favor of law enforcement of all kinds. Hers was a gallant fighting spirit, inherited perhaps from her Revolutionary great-grandfather, Jesse Rowe. That noted gentleman used his pension money for the lofty purpose of buying material for the first Methodist Episcopal Church ever built in Fayette County, Ohio, buying the lumber for the same from the grandfather of the late Senator Foraker of Ohio. After the war between the states the widowed Mrs. Merchant was again marred in later years. Her second husband was Thomas Gaskill. of. Wilmington, Ohio. He died in 1895. She survived him fifteen years, her worthy and efficient life closing at Aline, Oklahoma, on January 4, 1910.

The birth of Edgar Benton Marchant had taken place on March 23. 1858, in the log house which was the farm home of Abraham and Catharine Marchant. Orphaned by the war the lad early turned his mind to ways and means of procuring his own livelihood. For him, also, the newspaper route proved to be the first stage on the road toward success. Greenfield, Ohio, was the locality in which he began his independent activities. And for him, too, the printer's office seemed the logical second step. He served an apprenticeship in the plant of the Highland Chief, of Greenfield, his first salary being $t per week. At nineteen years of age young Marchant began to be attracted to the profession of law and proceeded to fit himself for that line of vocational activity. In 1881 he removed to Kansas and in that same year he was admitted to practice in the Sunflower State. His bar examinations were passed at Kingman and he settled for practice at St. John, of the same state. For sixteen years Mr. Marchant continued in active practice, and held various successive offices of distinction. For a time he was police judge of St. John; was deputy county attorney of Stafford County; and also served as assistant attorney general of Kansas for the special purpose of enforcing the prohibition laws of that state in Stafford County.

In 1893 Mr. Marchant took an active and prominent part in the opening of the Cherokee Strip in Oklahoma, locating at Pond Creek, where for a time he continued his law practice, which he later carried on at Cleo, Oklahoma. In 1894, business affairs called him back to St. John, Kansas, and there he established the fraternity paper known as The Kansas Free Mason. This periodical was the official gazette of the Kansas Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. The publishing offices of this paper Mr. Marchant in 1895 removed to Wichita, Kansas. It is needless to remark in this connection that he was one of the leading Masons of the State of Kansas, having been master of the first Masonic lodge ever instituted in Stafford County. His was the honor of making the first Mason ever created such in that county.

To his adopted State of Oklahoma Mr. Marchant returned in 1900. At Cleo he continued his work as an editor and publisher, at this time establishing The Chronoscope at that place. In county and state politics he has always been a consistent republican and his newspaper policy has always been clearly defined as such. In 1901 the Chronoscope was transferred by Mr. Marchant to Aline, which has since been the home of the paper. In 1907 he sold the plant and established his residence at Clinton, Oklahoma. There he gave invaluable, service in the advertising and upbuilding of the town. For two years he was secretary of the Commercial Club of Clinton and was one of the most enthusiastic "boosters" of that growing municipality. Indeed, it is said of him that it was through his activities that Clinton was placed upon the map in conspicuous letters.

Aline became Mr. Marchant's definite home in 1910, for a second time. In that year he became identified with the law department of the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railroad, representing its interests in personal injury cases. Aline is still the attorney's home and he adds much to the town's well known atmosphere of success and social warmth. Mr. Marchant has ever been one to whom distinction comes, now and again, for his is a personality that invites such honor and fitly bears it. At the time of the St. Louis World's Fair he was made secretary of the Oklahoma Commission to the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. He had entire charge of the Oklahoma Building and its exhibit; while Mrs. Marchant was the gracious and competent hostess of the same.

Mrs. Marchant is a woman of education and culture. Before her marriage she was Miss Ellen Kerns and a native of near Mannington, West Virginia, that state also being the birth place of her parents, E. S. Kerns and Jane Kendall Kerns. In 1880 the family home was removed to Kansas, and there Miss Kerns accepted a teaching position at the early age of fourteen and a half years. In 1884 she was united in marriage, at St. John, with Mr. Marchant, then a leading lawyer of that city. Mr. and Mrs. Kerns removed to Oklahoma in 1893. The latter died at Sedan, Kansas, in 1898; the former now resides in Cleo, Oklahoma. Mrs. Marchant's graceful presence and fine intelligence make her a distinguished member of society whore she goes. She holds high honors in the Order of the Eastern Star and is a leader in club and Sunday school work.

["A standard history of Oklahoma", Volume 3, 1916; By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]


(retyped as originally written by Linda Jean Limes Ellis – October 28, 2008)

Cincinnati Daily Gazette
Thursday, January 24, 1867 – Page 1:1 – Volume 78
The Greenfield Ladies on Trial.
Their Know Nothing Meeting – Female Efforts to Keep a Secret – Testimony of the Ladies"

Correspondence of the Cincinnati Gazette.

Hillsboro, O. January 22.

It was generally known here this morning that the testimony for the defense in the Greenfield liquor case, would be opened this morning and at nine o'clock the large Court room of the very respectable Court House of this county, was crowded, not with simply a curious audience, but an interested and anxious one, so far at least as the many ladies in attendance was concerned, who sympathize with each other in their hatred of that traffic which debases all who have anything to do with it, and so often makes beasts and human demons of their husbands and sons. Having given a brief history of the case up to the close of the testimony for the plaintiff, in my letter yesterday, I will here present simply a running sketch of the testimony heard to-day.


The defense first called Robt. Byron, one of the defendants conjointly with his wife charged with being one of the active participants in the whisky raid. He states, that on the morning of the raid, 10th of July, 1865, after an early breakfast he went to his farm three miles in the country, and did not return until between three and four o'clock in the afternoon. On coming home the only person he met was Mr. Ravenstraw, at his house in the edge of town, who told him of the destruction of liquor: he was not present while any of the property was being destroyed.

Cross-examination – I ate dinner on the farm with Mr. Walker, my tenant; stopped at Ravenstraw's but a few moments; went to my house; Mrs. Byron was not there; went down street to see what was going on; didn't know my wife was away; didn't go into the house; before going away I had no knowledge of what was going to happen; when I got down the street I saw my wife in the street; found crowd in front of Robinson's store; good deal of excitement; she was opposite Chas. Bell's, next door below, about center of the street. The crowd was doing nothing but talking; didn't pay any attention to what they were talking about. The first I heard in reference to the liquor was by Mr. Robinson; he spoke to me, he was in the back end of the store, and beckoned to me; I went in; don't know that I can name any one who was there; the house was full.

Direct – I was particular – have always been – keeping the correct time of day.


Mr. Walker testified to the time at which Mr. Byron took dinner at his house. It was near one o'clock; after that walked out into the meadow; was gone half an hour; went into the barn; remained an hour and a half, and then started home, as late as three o'clock.

On cross-examination witness stated that on going to town next day the subject of whisky raid was talked of by him and Byron; and the time of latter's arrival in town was spoken of; not with reference to any part he might have taken in the affair.


On the day of the whisky raid, directly after dinner, I went on to the street, into the Post office, and then into Dr. Slagle's, where I was writing a letter; heard a noise and hallooning on the street; went to the door; saw the operation going on at Newbeck's; didn't see them at Linn's; some ladies came out Slagle's and made request for his liquors; thought it was getting too warm, and went directly home; saw Byron passing as he went by my house; told him he was missing all the fun; can't say what time it was; didn't stay at Slagle's more than five minutes after saw the crowd at Newbeck's.

Cross-Examination. Usually eat dinner at twelve o'clock. The mail was due at two o'clock, and my idea was to have my letter written by that time. When I looked out at Newbeck's the door was opened, and I saw an umbrella pressed in against resistance; I do not recollect any person I saw there; don't know the ladies that came to Slagle's; he replied, "Certainly, ladies, you can have my liquors;" when I started home I didn't see where they were engaged. I just had got home, and informed my son-in-law, and then gone to my house to inform my wife and daughter of what was gong on. The distance from Slagle's to my house is four squares; would take me fifteen minutes to walk it; think I must have walked a little faster than usual that time. After there had been a shower I went back; got as far as Mr. Pierson's; they were crossing from James Morris' to Mrs. Weidenour's. When Byron came past my house I told him the ladies were trying to pour out all the whisky in town, he made no remark about it. I think he came along before I went into my house; perhaps five minutes would cover the time I had been home. I don't know, but suppose the train had come; I forgot all about it, and my letter too.


Mrs. Mead is a widow lady, perhaps 40 years old, and one of the defendants.

I resided in Greenfield on 10th of July, 1865. Four young ladies called at my house and told me there was going to be a temperance meeting at 1 o'clock. I didn't start till after 1 o'clock; it was raining; took an umbrella with me; when I got there the ladies seemed to be having a pleasant time; I asked where they were going, and what they were going to do , got no reply; when they left the church I walked with them; there might have been eighty of them, old and young; some older than myself; I took no part in the meeting; they formed in procession and walked off in the middle of the street; I walked with another lady, some distance from the front, down to Main Street; made a short halt at Mr. Linn's; some one read the notice; didn't hear who; then went across to Newbeck's; it was raining, and I raised by umbrella, and stood on the edge of the pavement; a demand was made for his liquor; there was some talk, and a movement made to get in; could not say who made the movement; Mrs. Blackburn and her daughter were the first to strike at the door, and Miss Cool, Mrs. Blackburn and Mrs. Newbeck had some words; Mrs. Blackburn said: "I didn't expect to lift my hand, but when I came here and thought of my son I could not keep my hands back," in reference to the statements for Goldberg and Warner that I used a hatchet there I declared that I hadn't a hatchet in my hand that day; was not in Newbeck's building, and touched none of his goods; held my umbrella in my hands all the time; didn't touch any of Linn's goods.

Cross-examined. Don't remember the names of the four young ladies who informed me of the meeting; have tried several times to think, but saw so many during the day could not be positive; know they lived in Greenfield; there was no organized temperance society in town; they didn't say what measures were to be taken to stop liquor selling; didn't say who sent them there, I asked no questions as to what ladies would be there; there was no apparent organization of the meeting, many were on their (word crossed out here) didn't see Mrs. Caldwell there, nor Miss Pierson; don't remember seeing Mrs. Francis McConnell there; think I saw Mrs. Frank Wilson; didn't see Mrs. Martha Haines, nor Mrs. Elizabeth Bush, nor Mrs. Rogers, nor Sue V. Briggs, nor Mary J. Irwin (all defendants): don't remember what was said; never was at a temperance meeting before at which I could not tell what took place; didn't hear anything said on the subject of temperance; heard something about intemperance, I think by Mrs. Young; can't tell just what she said, something about how much she had suffered by her own son drinking; can't say which took most active part, the old or young ladies. Didn't see any hatches in the church. The first I saw of them was when they began to use them. Old Mrs. Young, Mrs. Logan, and Mrs. Love walked in front of the procession. I think we marched two abreast, in the middle of the street.

Q. Did you ever walk home from any other temperance meeting in that way?

A. I don't know that I ever did exactly; had no idea where they were going; walked along to see what they were going to do.

Q. What did you first hear or see, said or done, after the halt at Linn's?

A. I can't remember, reading the notice I suppose; can't tell who read it; think Mrs. Young didn't read it; don't think Mrs. Love did; saw Mrs. Julia Ware there; if I heard her read it, think I would be likely to remember it; can't say I heard Mrs. Pierson read it; think I was fifteen feet from the person who read it; don't know that I had any curiosity as to what was being read; it was something about giving up his liquor.

On going to Newbeck's, I suppose the first thing done was to read the notice; don't know who read it; was half way across the street. I recollect seeing Mrs. Blackburn and her daughter at work; also Miss Cool, and the two Miss Leakes and Dr. Anderson's wife were striking on the doors. Barrels and bottles were brought out. I was not doing anything or saying much. Mrs. Blackburn spoke to me, saying she had not thought of raising her hands, but when she got there, and thought of her boy being killed there, she could not restrain herself.

Q. Did you do anything to restrain these parties?

A. I think I did; I spoke to some girls; don't remember who; don't remember the exact words, that they better not do what they were doing. Can't say that I saw any breaking in the of doors with hatchets at Linn's; don't remember hearing any hammering ; heard glass break; saw them going in.

Q. When they finished at Linn's did you go home?

A. No I didn't' start to any particular place.

Q. Just lounged around the street?

A. Yes, I suppose.

Q. Where did you happen, accidentally, to stop?

A. Somewhere near Slagle's door. He was engaged in selling drugs; didn't want to buy any drugs just then. Saw Mary Cool coming out of Slagle's store. I stopped further up street on the pavement; think I saw Mrs. Pierson and Julia Ware up there; saw Mr. Pierson there, remember his taking his wife away; don't remember that she came back notwithstanding.

Q. After the liquor had been destroyed at three places, had you then any idea what yet was to be done?

A. I can't say that I had.

Q. That job being done, why didn't you go home?

A. I didn't feel inclined to go yet. I went across the street and stopped at Robinson's drug store; the rest went there, and I went with them.

Q. Had you yet found out what those persons wanted to do when they left the church?

A. I had not been told; I found out what they did.

Q. But still you hadn't any idea what they were going across to Robinson's for?

A. I didn't ask anyone, I suppose they went there to see if he had any liquor.

Q. Suppose they found he had some, what was your idea as to what they were going to do with it?

A. I suppose they were going to spill it. The pressure of the crowd was so great that I got inside of his store. Robinson had a pistol in his hand, threatening to shoot, I don't know who. Mrs. Herdman, Mrs. Barkutt and Mrs. Caldwell were there; don't know what they were doing. He agreed to give up his liquor, and ship it off, if they would not destroy it, which he did. I went with them to Mrs. Weidenour's, where a whisky barrel fixed up like a center table, with Bible and hymn book on it, was found; they rolled it into the street and knocked the head in.

The next day about 10 o'clock, I met with other ladies at Mrs. Jones'; can't say what the object was, can't say whether it was proposed to reorganize and clean out the Irish grog-geries at the depot or not. There might have been such talk among the young ladies; they were generally irresponsible. I don't know of any arrangement made to pay for the liquor. I was at a meeting at Caldwell's bank the next day but one, the object of which was to raise money to prosecute the liquor sellers. I have paid $25 toward the attorney's fees in this case; am not bound for any particular sum.


This lady's testimony differs very little from Mrs. Mead's, and we will only give some of the distinguishing points in it.

I am one of the defendants; was at the meeting in the church on invitation received from Alice Smart, who was sent by her mother. There had been no previous preluminary meetings; didn't hear anything that was done at the church; heard no resolution; understood a paper was to be presented or read, but don't remember of seeing it; from what I heard, it was intended to solicit the liquor dealers to deliver up their liquor. I am confident it had nothing to do with violence; didn't consider myself one of the party.

Q. Did you see any hatchets there?

A. I did see two. Miss Julia Lake had one, and Miss Limes one. I asked what they were for. The ladies about me did not know. I asked Miss Limes. She said that the ladies who invited her to come, asked her to bring a hatchet; she supposed the liquor was to be spilled, after it was given up. I remarked ironically, yes. I suppose after it is rolled out it will be spilled. I joined the procession as everybody else did; there was no change in dress, didn't see any ladies wearing pages to their dresses.

The witness gave about the same account of the operations at the several stores, declaring also that she took no part in it; but told the ladies they had better consider what they were about, and hoped they were not going to Mr. Linn's to serve him as they had Newbeck. Out of curiosity she stepped into Linn's store after it had been broken open, and recognized Mr. Linn as he spoke to her. On stepping out in a moment, she saw Mayor Eckman, and called on the ladies to hear him read the riot act; had no hatchet, and did not destroy or touch any of the property that was destroyed.

At Robinson's he told the ladies that they and their husbands would be held responsible, and looked at this witness, who was standing on the steps. She said, I suppose the ladies are aware of that fact, but did not direct her remark to him. She did not say anything about the ladies having taken advice. If she had heard anything about breaking doors she would not have been in the procession. At no place that day did she give a barrel of liquor a kick or two. Some of the ladies told her there had been a room provided in which to store the liquor.

The cross examination was very close, but well sustained by the witness, as in the following instances:

Q. When you were asked to go to Robinson's, you knew what was to follow, after what had previously taken place?

A. I knew the notice was to be read, but did not know what was to follow from reading the notice.

Q. Did not Miss Leake reprove you for faltering at Robinson's?

A. She said there might be trouble there, and wanted me to go in with them. I said, No, I am going home. I have not taken any active part thus far, and I am not going to begin now. I did not say to Miss Leake, "Go on, don't stop or hold back now. It won't do to skip this house; it is as bad as any of them." I made no such remark as "I am aware of what I am about, and able to pay my share; have taken legal advice." The women were generally calm; went around like a woman about her work, determined to get it done.

Mrs. Emma Miller, a niece of the last witness, substantiated her testimony.


Mrs. Caldwell talked with me in the church. She asked some one what they were gong to do with the liquor if they refused to give it up; she hoped they would not do anything unlawfully; said it would not be so bad to be put in the calaboose a few days for spilling the liquor, but to be sent for a term to the penitentiary would be a serious matter.

Maggie Watt testified to the same remarks of Mrs. Caldwell, given by the last witness.


Isaac Finch testified that he saw some liquor in one of the barrels that came out of Linn's house which some men were stirring with sticks. It was thick and black like tobacco juice.

Dr. Anderson testified that (word blackened out) Pierson sat on a door step below the post office, while Linn's house was being opened and emptied. When he saw his wife there he told her he thought she had better go home.

David Stewart – That he walked with Eliza Bush down to near Linn's, when they commenced on the doors and windows, and remained with her while the crowd was there; that she took no part in the destruction of his property.

John S. Blackburn – That he had bought liquor at Linn at various times, paid for it, and drank it on the place, contrary to law.

Thomas Wallan testified to the same fact.

Wm. Mead – That he was a minor and had bought liquors, on order, and without order, for other parties, not physicians, of Mr. Linn.

Jno. Boyd – That Mrs. Haines was at his son's store all the time the violence was being done at Linn's store.

Thos. H. Butler – That he saw Mrs. Mead all the time the destruction was going on at Newbeck's and Linn's, and that she took no part in it.

Mrs. Martha Haines – That she attended the meeting at the church; saw no organization; nothing was said about violence; did not think any of them knew what they were going to do; it was raining, and she remained in a little hall until she heard knocking at Newbeck's, after which she went up to Mr. Haines's shop and staid.

Clayton Haines – That he left his shop for a few minutes and went down to where the ladies were destroying Newbeck's store; didn't stay more than five minutes, looking on, when he returned and remained in his shop the rest of the day.

Hugh Beatty – That he first heard of the raid when they were at Newbeck's; that he went down and stood in the middle of the street, and when they went to Linn's he changed his position very little. He gave no counsel to the crowd as to how to break open barrels easy. He denied the testimony of Warner, saying he encouraged the women in their work. He saw Linn throwing some liquid on the crowd, and remarked, "Linn is throwing vitrol on the ladies," but didn't say, "If you do that again we will tear this house down over your head." Witness said he was a defendant in the suit, and had paid fifty dollars toward expenses.

James Morrow, also a defendant – That the ladies had broken Newbeck's house open when he got there; was outside, the crowd doing the work; when they went to Linn's he went on to Pike's pavement, and remained there till they finished; when he thought Linn had thrown vitrol on the ladies, he said, "Linn, you better not throw vitrol in the women's eyes or they might, or would, tear your house down ." His object was to prevent a big disturbance. Didn't say if he did so he would be a dead man in five minutes.


A defendant in the case. Was invited to temperance meeting by Mrs. Haines; remained there fifteen minutes; before leaving church Mary Cool remarked they were going to spill the whisky; don't know that I had any understanding of the object; walked in the procession near the rear; first halted at Linn's; didn't see what was done; when they went across to Newbeck's, I went up on the same side of the street; didn't cross to Newbeck's; remained there during the engagement at Newbeck's; they went back to Linn's and I went down opposite Pike's; remained there during engagement. I took no part in the engagement, nor in the destruction of Slagle's whisky; I passed Robinson's store while the crowd was there, but did not go in; Mr. Warner's statement that I was in Linn's house and assisted in rolling out barrels, is a mistake; I did not have a hatchet in my hand that day.

Cross-examined – I had heard nothing of a movement prior to the day of the meeting to put down liquor traffic; Miss Linn had a hatchet in her hands; it was not usual in Greenfield to carry hatchets to meetings; made no inquiry why it was there; I don't know who besides Mary Cool talked about spilling the liquor; I think Mrs. Burkett suggested we should fall in line; don't know why; Mrs. Logan, Mrs. Young and Mrs. Love in front; having seen a hatchet in the house and Miss Cool about spilling the liquor, I had no thought about where we were going; I thought I would follow the crowd; the procession was quiet; there was no talk as to what was going on in front when the procession stopped; I left the procession at the corner; I had no suspicion what they were doing; I saw someone strike the window don't know who; saw Miss Cool's entrance through the window; I said nothing to attempt to discourage or restrain them; I don't know as the hatchet changed hands in knocking in the barrel heads; nobody complained of being tired; I don't think Jerry Gordon knew; he didn't see me at work; Judge Eckman knew me; I don't know that I heard him read the riot act; didn't hear him tell the crowd to disperse; saw Mary J. Irwin there; don't know that she had a hatchet with her; didn't see her doing anything.

Direct – Don't remember seeing any ladies with pages on.

Cross-examined – They were in fashion; don't remember that the ladies took them off for the occasion.


I was not far from the crowd when they were opening Newbeck's store; I saw both Mrs. Caldwell and Mead there; there seemed to be a panic when the glass was broken, and Mrs. Anderson asked what would be done with them; was excited, and left, if they had taken any part in opening doors or windows, or carrying out property, I would have known it, I saw Mrs. Blackburn have a hatchet and striking, and perhaps three or four others.

Cross-examined – I have been one of the attorneys in this case; am out now, Mr. Irwin having come in in my absence; before the raid took place, I had no knowledge of any movement of this kind, only a disposition to do something to suppress the evil; was not counseled as to how to suppress the liquor houses; they may have said it was the men's place to suppress them; I never suggested that if young and irresponsible girls (four words blackened out) could be no damages recovered. I first heard of the temperance meeting at dinner; did not counsel the ladies to the course they pursued, saying if the young girls did the work they were not responsible, and nobody would be made to suffer; my two daughters were in the crowd; didn't go down expecting to find them there; I knew the legal consequences of such conduct and told some of them what they would be; sent one of my daughters home as soon as I saw her; I made no remonstrance to the crowd to desist.


Have lived in Greenfield about 50 years; my age is 72; I was present at the temperance meeting on the day of the raid; Mrs. Carothers told me of the meeting; she said it was to try to persuade the liquor sellers to cease their traffic in selling to men who abuse their families; two or three went with me; there were but few there when we arrived; we tried to organize; they voted me to be President; but I told them I could not serve; they appointed no one else; I don't know what was done; there was a paper prepared, containing a proposal to be made to the liquor sellers; it was a request to the liquor sellers to give up their liquors to the ladies; don't remember what was to be done if they refused. There was no proposition in the paper or meeting as to using violence, in case they refused. My object, and the object of other ladies, so far as I know, in going down to liquor sellers, was not to use any violence in getting the liquor. There were some young ladies who had hatchets that they thought they would break open the liquor, but we didn't think they would, certainly didn't think they would break open any doors or windows. Mrs. Logan, Mrs. Love and myself, walked in front; we were in the procession when it halted at Linn's and heard the paper read; also, at Newbeck's; continued with them till they got through at Mr. Robinson's.

Cross-examined. – We went ahead to Robinson's in advance of the crowd. Didn't say our Secretary hadn't come. I think Mrs. Pearson was the Secretary. I think she did not read the notice at Robinson's; Mrs. Ware read it there. Noticed two young ladies with hatches at the meeting, one was Miss Julia Lake I think. She came to me and told me I should bring a hatchet. I felt like stopping the sale of liquor in any way it could be done. I can recollect some things clearly that took place at that time. I do not think the resolution adopted said the liquor would be taken forcibly if it was not given up; we thought they would give it up; but they said they would not give it up. When they commenced on Newbeck's door, I stood and looked on. When the doors were opened I went in. After they were through there I went back to Linn's, and staid till the liquors were destroyed; went to Slagel's, and he gave up his liquors.

Some U. S. Census Records:

1850 - Concord, Fayette, Ohio - Staunton
Harmon Limes - 45 - farmer - $3000 - VA
Elizabeth A. " - 37 - OH
Martha J. " - 17
Levi H. " - 15
Eliza C. " - 13
Heressa A. " - 10
Henry S. " - 8
Jesse L. " - 6
Mary E. " - 3

widowed and lives with parents:
1860 - Concord, Fayette, Ohio
Harmon Limes - 54 - farmer - $8500 + $1050 - VA
Elizabeth " - 48 - OH
Martha J. " - 27
Huressa " - 20
Henry S. " - 18
Jesse L. " - 15
Mary E. " - 13
Wm. A. " - 10
Josiah " - 2
Eliza C. Marchant - 23 (wid. dau)
Edgar " - 2

Family Members


Sponsored by Ancestry



  • Created by: Linda Jean Limes Ellis
  • Added: 24 Dec 2012
  • Find a Grave Memorial 102543427
  • Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com : accessed ), memorial page for Eliza Catharine “Kate” Limes Gaskill (1838–4 Jan 1910), Find a Grave Memorial no. 102543427, citing Fairview Park Cemetery, St. John, Stafford County, Kansas, USA ; Maintained by Linda Jean Limes Ellis (contributor 46864930) .