Benjamin served during the revolutionary war. While a resident of Kent County , Maryland, Benjamin Wells enlisted in Philadelphia and served for three months as a marine on the privateer, "Hyder Ally", Captains Josuah Barney and Starr was in a severe engagement with ship "General Monk" and returned to Philadelphia with both ships, the "Hyder Ally" and "General Monk" where Captain Berney took command of the "General Monk" and Captain Starr of the "Hyder Ally". They put to sea again and Benjamin Wells remained on board until the expiration of his service of three months when he returned to Philadelphia; He reenlisted on board the "Hyder Ally", Captain John Cemp, served three months as a marine, captured a sloop and two schooners which had been taken from the Americans and brought them into Philadelphia. He was wounded in the right hand during the engagement with the "General Monk".
Benjamin was married twice, 1st to Mary Rice Which was probably in Maryland. His 2nd marriage was to Mary Aultz in Kanawha County, (West) Virginia. According to the book "History Of Brown County, Ohio" none of his children by his first wife ever came to Ohio.
The only known child from his first marriage was Jeremiah Wells
Children from his 2nd marriage were:
1. Adam Wells, m: Elizabeth "Betsy" Rice
2. Nancy Ann Wells, m: Hezehiah Lindsey, William Dye, and Allen Jones
3. Catherine Wells, m: David Rich
4. Jane Wells, m: Samuel L. Smith
5. Diademia Wells,m: Cecil Shaw
6. Elizabeth Wells, Died at about age18, date unknown.
7. Mary Wells, Died as a child, date unknown.
8. Jacob Wells, m: Jemima Rice/Rich
9. Sarah "Sallie" Wells, m: Andrew Newman
10. Henry Wells, m: Elsie Devore