Capt George William Morris, Jr

Capt George William Morris, Jr

Baltimore, Baltimore City, Maryland, USA
Death 27 Jan 1973 (aged 26)
Quảng Trị, Vietnam
Cenotaph Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii, USA

* A structure erected in honor of someone whose remains lie elsewhere.

Plot Courts of the Missing
Memorial ID 100049695 · View Source
Suggest Edits

In Loving Memory ... Capt. George William Morris, Jr..
*** Captain Morris was a member of the 23rd Tactical Air Support Squadron. On January 27, 1973, he was the co-pilot of a North American Rockwell Bronco (OV10-A) on a search mission for two downed Naval pilots in Quang Tri Province, South Vietnam, his aircraft was hit by hostile fire. He ejected safely but could not be located on the ground. His remains were not recovered. His name is inscribed on the Courts of the Missing at the Honolulu Memorial.

You may be gone, no longer living on this earth; but you will live on - in the memories of your family and friends. There will always be a part of you living in your family and those who knew you and loved you. You will live on because we remember you!

Age: 31
Race: Caucasian
Date of Birth Sep 16, 1946 - Born in Baltimore, MD.
Marital Status: Single - Parents: Father, George William Morris, Sr. and Mother, Elizabeth Morris. Sister.

***** Father - George William Morris
Birth: Sep. 16, 1909
Wellsville, Columbiana County, Ohio, USA
Death: Oct. 26, 1993
Fort Pierce, St. Lucie County, Florida.

***** Eddieb, George and I were childhood friends who lived across the street from each other in Alhambra, CA. We often dug trenches in the vacant, neighboring lots and played "Army". We never realized how serious our play would later become. George was a very good friend. Thank you for this post. I never knew exactly what had happened to George. I had only heard that he was MIA.
- Dennis Davis
Added: Jul. 8, 2013
***** Per Dennis Davis - We moved from Alhambra in 1962 and I lost track of the Morris family. But, I understand that George Sr. was elected mayor of Alhambra, had an affair with a secretary, ran off with her, and died in Florida. It appears to me that the one he's buried with is probably not George's mother. I wish it was. I have been looking for the family for some time. George also had a younger brother, Jeff. I heard he committed suicide, but haven't confirmed it. George's older brother was also a pilot and was shot down, I think in Viet Nam. George also had two older sisters. I think their names were Betty and Anneta. I might be confused between the names of the mother and daughter. It now seems strange to me that they would name a daughter the same as the mother. But, they did that with their son. Anyway, I'm sure this is George's dad, but don't believe it is his mother. Thank you for your quick response.

CAPT - O3 - Air Force - Reserve
His tour began on Jan 27, 1973
Casualty was on Aug 23, 1978
Hostile, died while missing, FIXED WING - CREW

Body was not recovered
Panel 01W - Line 112

On 27 January 1973, 1st Lt. Mark A. Peterson, pilot; and Capt. George W. Morris, Jr., co-pilot; comprised the crew of an OV-10A Bronco (aircraft #3806), call sign "Nail 89."

When Lt. Cmdr. Christensen, call sign "Dakota Lead," and his section arrived onsite and checked in with King and Nail 89.

Capt. Morris radioed, call sign "Nail 89, "Hey, this is the last mission, guys. Don't do anything stupid."

The fighters were directed to make their run-in-to-target from the south to the north with their MK-82s so that any hung or tossed bombs would be no threat to friendly forces located roughly 14 miles to the south.

Cmdr. Hall made the first attack pass dropping 6 MK-82s and hitting one or two of the trucks. Cmdr. Heath was cleared in next. He also dropped 6 bombs destroying more of the trucks.

Both crews reported receiving heavy AAA fire as they pulled up and away from the target. As he did so, Lt. Cmdr. Christensen was attacking the Headquarters area of the VC cadre who were in heavy contact with South Vietnamese Rangers positioned on the south bank of the Cua Viet River.

1st Lt. Mark Peterson and Capt. George Morris, the aircrew of Nail 89, also observed the burning Phantom, the crew ejected at an altitude of 4,000 feet. Multiple aircrews saw both men eject, and some were able to visually follow the two men in their parachutes to the ground.

Nail 89 began its run-in from the southwest and had descended to 4,000 feet when Adam West saw a shoulder-fired SA-7 directed toward Nail 89 from its 6 o'clock position. He immediately transmitted, "SAM, SAM, SAM! BREAK LEFT, BREAK LEFT, BREAK LEFT!" Nail 89 broke hard left and popped an inferred flare anti-SAM countermeasure device. The missile altered course following the flare when the Bronco inexplicably broke back to the right and into the SA-7.

The Bronco took a direct hit in the right engine causing pieces of aircraft wreckage to sever the Bronco's tail. Both 1st Lt. Peterson and Capt. Morris managed to eject.

Both men immediately established voice contact with other flight members.

With two aircrews alive on the ground in the middle of enemy held territory, Ernie Christensen sent the rest of his section high while he tried to get a ground plot on the downed aircrews' positions. He never got it.

It was not until 1st Lt. West saw two good parachutes that he realized Nail 89 was a two-man crew. He initiated a second Mayday call and watched as both men touched the ground.

Within two minutes, George Morris successfully established radio contact on guard, the emergency radio frequency, with the Covey FAC stating he was "okay and that he could see Mark Peterson and he appeared alright, too."

George Morris reported that 1st Lt. Peterson had been seen and was going to be captured. He then said, "Oh my God, they just killed him!" Adam West asked Capt. Morris to confirm his last transmission. Again the downed pilot said, "He's dead - they just killed him!"

As he was organizing the fighter aircraft, the last voice transmission was received from Capt. Morris when he said, "They see me! They are coming for me! I'm going to surrender." After confirming that information, he heard George Morris scream and say, "Oh, no!" He also heard the sounds of what he believed to be a .51 caliber machine gun open fire before Capt. Morris' survival radio went dead.

Shortly thereafter due to deteriorating weather conditions, approaching darkness and having no further voice or beeper contact with the men on the ground, the formal SAR mission was cancelled.

At the time the search effort was terminated, Harley Hall, Phillip Kientzler, Mark Peterson and George Morris were declared Missing in Action.

The status of Mark Peterson and George Morris was not upgraded in spite of substantial intelligence that one or both were also captured.

Two months to the day after capture, Lt. Cmdr. Al Kientzler was released on 27 March 1973 in North Vietnam where he had been moved shortly after capture. During his post-release debriefing, asked as to the fate of 1st Lt. Peterson and Capt. Morris, he reported that he saw approximately 30 enemy soldiers shooting at them as they descended in their parachutes.


Family Members

Gravesite Details Looking for hometown location of his Headstone.

Sponsored by Ancestry



  • Created by: Eddieb
  • Added: 2 Nov 2012
  • Find a Grave Memorial 100049695
  • Find a Grave, database and images ( : accessed ), memorial page for Capt George William Morris, Jr (16 Sep 1946–27 Jan 1973), Find a Grave Memorial no. 100049695, citing Honolulu Memorial, Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii, USA ; Maintained by Eddieb (contributor 46600350) .