Begin New Search
Refine Last Search
Cemetery Lookup
Add Burial Records
Help with Find A Grave

Top Contributors
Success Stories
Community Forums
Find A Grave Store

Log In
The New Year brings in a brand new year filled with the promise of hope, prosperity, health, and happiness. But be alert to any pet hazards such as fun noise-makers and confetti which can very easily pose a serious threat to your pets' sense of well-being and health. Noise-makers can frighten your pet causing the pet to bolt out an open door or window, or leap to a precarious area in search of safety. Confetti can be ingested, wreaking havoc to the digestive tract.
No alcoholic beverages for pets! Pets can get more than just drunk when they drink alcoholic beverages - they can get a trip to the emergency room. Pets can die from alcohol ingestion. Alcoholic drinks contain a lot of ethanol (ethyl alcohol, grain alcohol). Typical alcohol percentages for alcoholic beverages are: beer at 3% to 5% ethanol, wine at 9% to 12%, and whiskey at 40% to 90%. By reading the label on the bottle, you can tell what the alcohol concentration is; "proof" is equal to twice the percentage concentration (80 proof is 40 percent alcohol). All poisoning problems boil down to the amount (dosage) of alcohol ingested compared to weight. Thus, when pets drink a person's alcoholic beverage that was left within reach, or that was given to them intentionally by someone, it can cause a significant toxicity problem. Within 15 to 30 minutes after the pet has drank the alcohol on an empty stomach (or within 1 to 2 hours on a full stomach), central nervous system signs (such as staggering, excitement, or decreased reflexes) can begin. Behavioral changes can be seen, as can an increased need to urinate. As the problem gets worse, the pet may become depressed, have a slow respiratory rate, or go into cardiac arrest. Puppies and kittens are at particular risk because of their small size and immature organ systems. Caution: Those adorable holiday costumes for your pets may be cute at get-togethers or in family photos, but pet guardians should be wary of costumes which have rubber bands to keep them securely in place on the pet. If rubber bands are accidentally left on the pet after the fun of dressing up is over, the pet could chew off and swallow them, causing choking and/or intestinal injuries. And, too, the bands can become embedded into the pet's flesh. Wishing you, your loved ones, and pets a SAFE, happy, and prosperous New Year, Suse

Added by: sniksnak

Privacy Statement and Terms of Service