|Birth: ||Mar. 14, 1788|
|Death: ||Jul. 6, 1849|
John Blair Clark (1788 - 1849)
Physician; Sergeant Major, Ohio Militia, War of 1812.
Born 14 Mar. 1788 on his parents’ farm near Dunning’s Creek in Bedford Co., Pennsylvania, John Blair Clark was the grandson of Scots immigrants and the son of a Revolutionary War patriot. In his youth he moved with his family to Ohio where he fought in our nation’s “Second War of Independence,” the War of 1812, serving with his brothers under command of their eldest sibling, Col. William Clark, in the Second Regiment, Sixteenth Division, Ohio Militia.
John married (first) Elizabeth Clarkson, and the couple had two children. Elizabeth died early in their marriage, and on 16 Aug. 1818 John remarried in Fleming Co., Kentucky, Martha Terhune (granddaughter of Revolutionary War patriot Albert Terhune, NSDAR #A113532). John & Martha are believed to have had a further seven children, all in Kentucky.
John studied medicine, almost certainly at Transylvania Medical College in Lexington. Around 1830 he brought his family to Indiana, receiving a land patent on 01 Feb. 1831 for 160 acres in Putnam Co. (SE 1/4 , Sec 8, T13-N , R3-W 2nd PM). Upon arrival he became the first practicing physician in Russell Township. Dr. John Blair Clark died on 06 Jul. 1849 at age 61. His wife, Martha (Terhune) Clark, then 50 years old, survived him for 32 years until her death on 03 Aug. 1881. Both are buried in the Russellville Cemetery, Putnam Co., Indiana.
See also --
-- Adjutant General of Ohio, Roster of Ohio Soldiers in War of 1812 (Columbus, Ohio: Edward T. Miller Co., 1916), p. 51.
-- Putnam County Sesquicentennial Committee, A Journey Through Putnam County History (Greencastle, Indiana: Putnam County Historical Society, 1966), p. 315.
-- Jesse W. Weik, Weik’s History of Putnam County, Indiana (Indianapolis: B. F. Bowen & Co., 1910), p. 159.
Children of John Blair Clark:*
1) Matilda Clark, the daughter of Elizabeth Clarkson.
(2) Marinda Clark, the daughter of Elizabeth Clarkson. She was born 27 November 1815, and married Aca (“Acy”) Buckles.
(3) Sanford Terhune Clark, the son of Martha Terhune, born 3 August 1819 at Elizaville, Fleming Co., Kentucky. He became a physician, married Sarah Minerva Vanschoiack and resided at Russellville, Putnam Co., Indiana.
(4) Albert Houston Clark, born 17 July 1821 at Mount Carmel, Fleming Co., Kentucky. He moved to California and married Sarah Anna Sheehan.
(5) James Blair Clark, born 15 December 1823 at Mount Carmel. He died 10 September 1838 at age fourteen, and was buried in the Russellville Cemetery.
(6) John Fletcher Clark, born 25 February 1826 at Mount Carmel. He moved south to Green Co., Alabama, and married Jane Eleanor Alexander.
(7) Mary Irene Clark, born 2 January 1829 at Mount Carmel. She married David S. Dryden and lived in Putnam Co., Indiana.
(8) William Thomas Clark, born 10 May 1831 at Mount Carmel. He married Rachel Kinder of Indianapolis, and resided for a time at Indianapolis. William died on 21 September 1870. Rachel died 17 December 1890. They had no children.
(9) Susan D. Clark, born 12 December 1833 at Mount Carmel. She married Joseph Bronson Thornton and resided for a time in Putnam County.
* [compiled sources, including:] -- Anthony J Christensen, Clark Cousins: A Brief Family History Compilation, Including Some of the Five Generation Descendants of John Owens Clark and His Wife Mary Blair of Bedford County, Pennsylvania, and Ross County, Ohio (Salem, Utah: 2001).
John Owens Clark (1763 - 1811)
Mary Blair Clark (1764 - 1842)
Martha Terhune Clark (1799 - 1881)
Marinda Clark Buckles (1815 - 1881)*
Sanford Terhune Clark (1819 - 1870)*
Mary Irene Clark Dryden (1829 - 1911)*
Susan Dow Clark Thornton (1833 - 1901)*
William Henry Clark (1784 - 1825)*
John Blair Clark (1788 - 1849)
Leory Clark (1789 - 1802)**
James Blair Clark (1796 - 1873)*
Dr. JOHN B. CLARK, / Was Born / In Pennsylvania / March 14, 1788, / DIED / July 6, 1849, / Aged 61 yrs 3 mo / & 23 days.
Maintained by: J. Scott Grimes
Originally Created by: Jon Rice
Record added: Jan 07, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 46429721