|Birth: ||May 26, 1677|
|Death: ||Apr. 20, 1740|
Elijah2 Brainard (Daniel 1) was the seventh of eight children born to Daniel Brainerd/Brainard and Hannah Spencer. He was baptized Mar. 26 1680 in Middletown, CT.
He married Mary "Margaret" Bushell on September 28, 1699 in Haddam, Middlesex, Connecticut. He was a farmer in Haddam, CT in the Candlewood District. To that union nine children were born.
1. Mary Brainerd (70 yrs.) b. Jun 20, 1700 Haddam CT d. Nov. 21, 1770 m. Moses Pond. (11 children)
2. Abigail Brainerd b. Jun 18, 1702 d. 1755/1775 Haddam CT m. Gideon Arnold (11 children)
3. Joseph Brainerd (102 yrs) b. Jun 22, 1704 Haddam Ct. d. Dec. 29, 1777 Haddam CT m. Mindwell Pond (4 children) Member of the Legislature, also a Farmer.
4. Elijah Brainerd 3 Jr. (58 yrs) b. Sep. 22, 1706 d. May 9, 1764 Haddam CT. m. Phebe Davis. Deacon- Congregational Church in Haddam, July 12, 1759. 10 children (my ancestor) (executor)
5. Thankfull Brainerd (97yrs) (Female 97yrs.) b. Jul.22, 1709 d. Ap. 28, 1806 Haddam Ct.Farmer. m. Jacob Brainerd
6. Rachel Brainerd (27 yrs) b. May 13, 1712 E. Haddam Ct. d. 1739 m. Benjamin Bailey. (2 children)
7. Jabez Brainerd (64 yrs.) b. Feb. 18, 1714 E. Haddam Ct. d. Aug. 20, 1778 Haddam CT,Justice of the Peace Hartford, CT m. Hannah Clark. (8 children) co-executor
8. Esther Brainerd (96 yrs.) b. Aug. 16, 1717 E. Haddam Ct. d. Jan. 12, 1813 m. Samuel Brainerd. (11 children)
9. Phineas Brainerd (Male, 89 yrs) b. Oct. 17, 1720 E. Haddam Ct. d. Mar. 8, 1809 m. Jerusha Towner. Lieutenant of 11th company 7th regiment in colony of CT. "Made a public confession of his Christian Religion which he well adorned by his conversation and his life"
Descendants of William, Caleb, Elijah and Hezekian Brainerd by Lucy Abigail Brainard p. 4-7
Court Record, Page 70 --- 5 August 1740: The last will and testament of Elijah Brainard, late of Haddam, exhibited in Court by Elijah Brainard and Jabez Brainard, executors. will proved and ordered recorded.
Elijah Brainard, in the County of Hartford, do make this my last will and testament: I give to my wife Margaret Brainard (her dower rights). I give to my eldest son Joseph Brainard the 1/2 of the 8th division lott in Haddam, laid out on the right of Abraham Dribble, containing in the whole 30 acres, and the 8th division lott laid out on the right of Moses Pond, containing 12 acrea, and my inhabitant right (being £77-11-00) in all the undivided land on the west side of the Great River. I give to my 2nd son Elijah Brainard, Jr., 23 acres and 56 rodds of the 4th division lott in sd. Haddam, laid out on the right of Capt. Gaites, late of sd. Haddam deceased, and £55-06 right in the undivided land on the west side of the Great River, being 1/5 part of the original rights of Richard Piper, Abraham Dibble and my honoured father Daniel Brainard, late of sd. Haddam decd. I give to my 3rd son Jabez Brainard all my land on the south side of the country road opposite my homestead, be the same more or four acres, and all my land lying on the southeast side of the highway that goeth from Jabez Brainard's house to Purcel (?) and my lott in the upper meadow, with the upland adjoining thereto, and one piece of land of about 4 acres on the northwest side of Higanum Cove, and all my right in the undivied land on the east side of the Great River in Haddam. I give to my 4th son Phineas Brainard, his heirs and assigns forever, my dwelling house, barn and homestead, viz., all my land there adjoining, and 1/2 of the warehouse standing thereon, and the 5th division lott laid out upon the right of the aforesd. Abraham Dibble, containing 50 acres, and about 3 acres of land adjoining thereto, and a right of £40 (the right of Moses Pond) in all undivided land on the west side of the Great River. I give to my four daughters, viz., Mary Pond, Abigail Arnold, Thankfull Brainard, and Esther Brainard, and to my granddaughter Rachel Bailey, all my personal estate of all sorts not otherwise disposed of in this will, equally to be divided to and amongst them five. And I make my two sons, Elijah Brainard and Jabez Brainard, executors.
Witnesses: William Porter Elijah Brainard, LS.
Abraham Brooks, Hez: Brainard
Daniel Brainerd (1641 - 1715)
Hannah Spencer Brainerd (1641 - 1691)
Mary Bushnell Brainerd (1675 - 1735)
Elijah Brainerd (1706 - 1764)*
Jabez Brainerd (1714 - 1778)*
Esther Brainerd Brainerd (1717 - 1813)*
Phineas Brainerd (1720 - 1803)*
Daniel Brainerd (1666 - 1743)*
Hannah Brainerd Gates (1667 - 1750)*
James Brainerd (1669 - 1742)*
Joshua Brainerd (1671 - 1755)**
William Brainerd (1673 - 1747)*
Caleb Brainerd (1676 - 1742)*
Elijah Brainerd (1677 - 1740)
Hezekiah Brainerd (1681 - 1727)*
Ancient Burying Ground
Created by: Evelyn Rowe Nelson
Record added: Mar 17, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 67042581