|Birth: ||Jul. 13, 1769|
|Death: ||May 19, 1823|
Amos Brainerd5 (Elisha 4, Deacon Elijah 3, Elijah 2, Deacon Daniel 1) was the seventh child of Elisha Brainerd and Martha Hubbard. He grew up in East Haddam, CT. He married Rachel Brainard, his 3rd cousin, daughter of Dudley & Mindwell Ackley Brainard. Rachel was born 29 Jan 1770 and died 15 Mar 1848.
Amos served in the Connecticut Militia during the War of 1812.
Amos Brainard of Middlesex County, Conn., one of the earliest settlers of Newburgh,Ohio made his western venture when nearly 50 years of age. His wife was Rachel Brainard, daughter of Dudley and Mindwell Ackley Brainard of Haddam, Conn., and a cousin of Amos. Amos Brainard was a farmer and shoemaker, before coming to Newburgh,Ohio and lived on a farm in the latter place, toiling early and late to clear it of the timber and heavy undergrowth that covered it.
Mr. and Mrs. Brainard had 13 children, 11 of whom reached maturity and all but one of these married and had families of their own, most of them living in Newburgh, Ohio. Mr. Brainard met with a sudden and violent death, one day, in 1823. He was in a field at work with a yoke of oxen, when a furious storm of wind and rain broke upon him, and while hastening back to his dwelling, a falling tree crushed out his life. His wife, standing in the door of her home, and anxiously watching his return, witnessed the sad accident that left her a widow with four of her family of children still of a tender age. She was to undergo another shock and a grief of the same character five years later, when her son Timothy, aged 27, was killed by the caving in of a portion of the Erie Canal upon which he was working.
She was a very superior woman, of a fine heritage, which was passed on to several of her children. She died in 1848, aged 78 years.
The children of Amos and Rachel Brainard:
1. John R. Brainard, b. 1789; m. in 1812, Lucinda Goff, widow of Joshua Brainard.
2. Salinda Brainard, b. 1791; m. Richard Bailey, who died 1813. She married 2nd, Enos Cochran, died 1823; and 3rd, Justus Hamilton Owen of Newburgh. of Newburgh, O. She died 1859, aged 68.
3. Nancy Brainard, b. 1793; m. in 1818, Demos Brainard, son of Amos and Martha Aiken Brainard of Brooklyn, O.
4. Amos Brainard,Jr. b. 1795; m. in 1826, Lydia Thompson, dau. of Adam and Lydia Thompson.(my 3rd great grandfather)
5. Demming Brainard, b. 1798; m. Esther Jones. He died 1860.
6. Julia Selden Brainard, m. Silas
7. Alvah H. Brainard, b. 1807; m. Melissa Owen, sister of Silas Owen d. 1865.
8. Timothy Brainard, b. 1801; died suddenly.
9. Hiram Brainard, b. 1808; m. Elizabeth Hotal.
10. Sylvester Brainard, b. 1809; removed to Michigan.
11. Emeline Brainard, b. 1811; m. Sylvester Dudley Goff, son of Guernsey and Asenath Brainard Goff.
Source: The Genealogy of the Brainerd-Brainard Family in America, 1649-1908 p. 64
Elisha Brainerd (1733 - 1790)
Martha Hubbard Brainerd (1737 - 1813)
Rachel Brainerd Brainerd (1770 - 1848)*
Salinda Cochran Brainard Hamilton (1791 - 1869)*
Amos Brainerd (1795 - 1870)*
Deming Brainard (1799 - 1824)*
Timothy Brainard (1801 - 1828)*
Alvah Hubbard Brainard (1807 - 1865)*
Hiram Ackley Brainerd (1808 - 1887)*
Sylvester Dudley Brainerd (1809 - 1892)*
Emiline Brainard Goff (1811 - 1892)*
Anna Brainerd Outman (1766 - 1829)**
Amos Brainard (1769 - 1823)
Harvard Grove Cemetery
Plot: Sec 3, Lot 21, Grave 1S
Maintained by: Evelyn Rowe Nelson
Originally Created by: Nancy Brown
Record added: May 03, 2006
Find A Grave Memorial# 14160749