|Birth: ||Jul. 2, 1872|
|Death: ||Jul. 7, 1953|
Portsmouth Times | Portsmouth, Ohio | Wednesday, July 08, 1953 | Page 9
Samuel Ellis Raike, 81, passed away at 7:10 p.m. Tuesday of last week at his residence at Quincy. He had been ill four years with a heart ailment. Mr. Raike was a retired Chesapeake & Ohio Railway track worker.
Mr. Raike was born July 2, 1872 in Greenup County, a son of John & Rachael (Hall) Rake. He married Eliza Lowder on January 16, 1905.
Surviving are the wife, five daughters: Mrs. Nellie Bolander of Sciotoville; Mrs. Clara Butler of Rubyville; Mrs. Lucy Woods and Mrs. Imogene Riffe of Baltimore, Md.; Mrs. Annie Overturf of Peoria, Ill. and five sons: Ellis James of Oakland, Calif.; Clarence of New Boston; Edward of Pickston, S.D.; Clyde J. of Rushville, Ind.; and Eugene Dorsal at home.
Mr. Raike was a member of the Christian Baptist Church in Quincy.
Funneral services were held Friday at 2 p.m. at Quincy Methodist Church, with Rev Vance Keller and Rev. Ida White of New Boston, officiating.
Burial was in the Methodist Church Cemetery under the direction of Morton Funeral Home.
Samuel Ellis is the son of John Rake (1834-1902) who married Rachael Hall (1836-?) on 9/13/1855. John Rake changed the spelling of the last name for all his children from Rake to Raike. John was a river boats man and farmer. Together John & Rachael had ten (10) children:
* William M., born 1857 & married Cassa A. Ratcliff 8/1/1878;
* Isabell born 1861 married a gentleman by the name of Brown
* John Marion born 1863, married Alice Royal (1871-1944) on 12/8/1894, he died 1924;
* James born 1863, died 1947 (John & James may have been twins). James married Rosa (maiden name unknown)
* Clara born 1868
* Samuel Ellis (see bio above & below)
* Virginia died 1875 after six months from the fever.
* Jennie born 11/5/1875
* Lucy born 7/7/1877, died 10/17/1952
* Charles born 1879
John is the son of Jacob (1808-?). Jacob and Lovice Barnhart (1810-?) were married 9/25/1828 having eleven (11) children all believed to have been born in Washington County, OH.
* Peyton born 1833
* John born 1834, married Rachael Hall 9/13/1855, died 1902. (Samuel Ellis Raike's Father)
* William Jasper born 1836 died 1905 and is buried in Riverview Cemetery, Greenup, KY. William Jasper served in the Civil War with the 116th Ohio Infantry from Oct. 1862-Nov 1865.
* Susan born 1840
* Fredrick born 1842 married Mary Jane Phillips & died in 1911
* David Marion born 1842
* Rebecca born 1845, married Christopher Kitts (7/1/1837 - 9/1/1913) on 11/27/1860, she died 8/1/1905
* Clarissa E. born 1847 in Cabell County WV, married Samuel David Russell (b. 1847) on 8/30/1865, date of death unknown.
* General Scott born 1856
* Virginia born 1856 in Cabell County WV she married Alexander Patton (b. 1854)
* Nona born 1866.
Jacob is the son of Abraham Rake (1780, died 2/9/1869) and Suzanne Simion (1783, died 12/6/1862) married in 1800. Both Abraham & Suzanne were born in Washington County, PA and died in Monroe County, OH although no location of their gravesite is known. Abraham & Suzanne had thirteen (13) children:
* Anna born 1802 in Washington County, PA and married George Miller.
* John born 10/30/1806 in Washington County, PA married Rebecca Gray (6/8/1808-12/9/1898) and died on 7/30/1875 in Washington County, OH. John & Rebecca are buried in the Rake cemetery in Washington County, OH between Fay & Dart Ohio on Hwy 26.
* Jacob (see bio above from Jacob & Lovice Barnhart which would be Samuel Ellis Raike's grandparents).
* Fredrick born 1811 in Washington County, PA married Eleanor Masters on 8/27/1840. No death information is available.
* Mary born 1816 in Washington County, PA married Kinsley Davis.
* Abraham born 1817 in Washington County, PA married Nancy Powell (1817 - 12/17/1853?) on 11/28/1834 and died 12/17/1853 in Marietta, Washington County, OH.
* Daniel born 1/3/1818 in Ohio married Phoebe Masters (7/10/1819-4/12/1844) on 6/8/1840. Abraham must have remarried as there are children born to him from 1850 thru 1872 after Phoebe's death. Daniel died 5/14/1892.
* David Presley born 8/18/1821 married Sarah Louise Eveligh (b. 10/29/1829) on 3/20/1844. David Presley died 10/22/1864 and is believed to be buried in the Veteran's Cemetery in Topeka, KS although no such cemetery can be found in Find A Grave.
* Suzanna born 6/1/1822 in Monroe County, OH married (?) on 3/12/1846. Suzanna died in Arlington (now possibly Arlington Heights), Washington County, OH on 12/2/1896.
* Isaac born 1/17/1826 in Monroe County, OH married Elizabeth Ingram (9/27/1836-6/25/1887) on 8/4/1852 and died 2/22/1901.
* Elijah born 1828.
* Betsey born 1831.
* Katy born 1833.
Abraham is the son of Johann Phillip Racke (1736-?) born in Albisheim, Bayern, Germany and married in 1766 but no information is available on his wife or if any other children other than Abraham was born to Johann Phillip. Abraham would be Samuel Ellis Raike's great grandfather.
Johann Phillip is the son of Johann Jacob born in 1695 in Bayern, Germany and married Anna Margaretha Morgensterns (b. 1699) in 1716. John Phillip had seven (7) children possibly from two wives: Anna Margaretha and Anna Catherina (no last name or birth date available on Anna Catherina). Johann Phillip would be Samuel Ellis Raike's great-great grandfather
* Johann Velton born 3/5/1719.
* Henrich Casper born 1/11/1722.
* Johanna Maria born 9/16/1724.
* Johann Wilheim born 2/9/1727
* Johanna Phillippina born 12/8/1730
* Johann Phillip born 2/12/1736 (the blood line above)
* Catherina Phillippina born 3/15/1739
MOST OF THE ABOVE INFORMATION WAS RESEARCHED BY MY NEPHEW SAMUEL EUGENE RAIKE AND PROVIDED FOR ALL TO SEE AND HOPEFULLY HELP YOU IN YOUR GENEALOGY QUEST.
Samuel Ellis was born in Greenup County, KY and buried in Lewis County, Quincy, KY in the Quincy Methodist Church cemetery.
Louisa is believed to have been born in Lewis County, KY. And buried in Lewis County, Quincy, KY in the Quincy cemetery. Samuel & Louisa had Thirteen (13) children along with a set of unknown twins believed to have been stillborn. All their children were born in Lewis County near Quincy, KY.
Nellie (3/29/1905 – 11/20/1988) married Elmer Bolander (5/5/1896 – 1/30/1978) on 7/10/1925. They had one daughter, Helen Louise Bolander (1/26/1926 – 7/6/1985) who married William David Basham (6/5/1918 – 10/11/1988). Nellie died at the age of 83 and is buried in the Memorial Burial Park in Sciotoville in Scioto County, OH.
Clara (8/22/1906 – 11/16/1974) married Omar Butler having two children; Charles & Ellen Butler and later divorced. She then married John Hill and died in Scioto County, New Boston, OH. Clara died at the age of 68.
Anna "Annie" (2/21/1908 – 7/1985) married Carl Overturf and had seven (7) children: Carl; Imogene; Ermagean; Clarence; Carolyn; Carol; & Howard. Annie died at the age of 77.
Mary (1909 – 1912) died at age 3 from the whooping cough.
Ellis James died at the age of 42 and is buried in the Mountain View Cemetery, Alameda County the city of Oakland, CA. Ellis James (5/9/1912 – 12/26/1954) married Martha having two children: Imogene or Ima Jean Raike-Rocha and James Ellis (3/3/1937 - 8/2/1992). A WWII veteran, Ellis was in the Army Air Corps during World War II where he served with the 1907 Service Command Unit. No further information is known on Imogene/Ima Jean at this time. James Ellis was married three times with his first marriage to Merrilee King having two children Terry Ann Raike (b. 12/14/1956) and Trudy Lynn (b. 6/14/1958) both born in Castro Valley, CA. James then married Jerri Bass having no children. James married Teresa Currier having three children; James Ellis Raike Jr. (b. 1/16/1974), Bradley Charles Raike (b. 9/2/1975), and Brandi Renee Raike (b. 5/19/1977) all born in Castro Valley, CA. Ellis James died at the age of 42 and is buried in the Mountain View Cemetery, Alameda County the city of Oakland, CA.
Clarence S. (2/6/1914 – 4/19/1982) married Maudie E. Arthur (5/19/1912 – 4/22/1990) having three children. Clarence E. "Butch" Raike, New Boston; two daughters, Janet Kegley, New Boston and Joyce Craig of West Rushville. Six grandchildren; Donald Raike, Eddie Raike and Dana Raike, all of New Boston, Douglas Kegley Jr. of Fort Worth, Texas, Tim Kegley of London and Tracie Craig of West Rushville. Clarence retired from a steel mill in Portsmouth, OH. Clarence died at 68 yrs old.
Lucy (12/12/1915-12/1980) married Cecil Woods having two children: Roger & Shirley and later divorced. She then married James Borror having one son James. Lucy is buried in the Petersburg, W.V. area but the cemetery name is not known at this time. Lucy's daughter Shirley "Shirl" Sheely is living in the Baltimore, MD area as well as her son James Borror. She was 68 yrs old.
George (9/28/1917 – 1935) died at age 17 from appendicitis.
Edward "Ed" (11/5/1919 – 7/24/1997) married Jeanie Spalding having two children: Nancy who married David Price and they have one son named Ian; and Edward "Eddie" with no known children. Nancy & Eddie both live in Orlando. Edward was a WWII European theatre veteran who lost his left arm in combat. Ed & Jeannie are buried in the Orlando, FL area. Ed died at 78 yrs old.
Clyde J. (6/9/1922 – 10/16/1964) married Audrey Jewell McCane (10/3/1921 – 9/2/2008) on 2/27/1942 in Baltimore, MD just before WWII began. After serving in the European theatre they moved to Rush County, Rushville, IN where many of Audrey's family had moved to from Lewis County, KY after the war. Clyde & Audrey have three living children. Kenneth, their first (3/3/1949) was stillborn. Brenda (Terry) Hornaday (9/26/1952) have two sons; Jerry (10/19/1954) has one son and two daughters & Greg (10/15/1956) having one daughter and one son. Clyde worked at the Chevrolet plant in Indianapolis and he loved to fish and hunt and especially liked to go coon hunting. Clyde died at 43 yrs old from a heart attack and is buried in East Hill Cemetery, Rushville, Rush County, IN. Clyde like Edward served in the European theatre during WWII.
Imogene "Imer" (3/12/1924 – 12/30/1999) married Alvin Riffe who died 10/7/1990. Imogene had one son, Dorsal Raike who also has passed away. It is believed Imogene had Dorsel "out of wedlock" and prior to meeting Alvin. Specific burial information on Imogene, Alvin & Dorsal is not known for certain but they are believed to be buried in the Methodist Cemetery at Quincy in Lewis County, KY. Imogene died at 75 yrs of age.
Eugene "Gene" (3/12/1924- 5/1/1999) married Billy Jean Sexton having Cathy Lynn and later divorcing. Gene & Imogene were twins. Gene was a WWII veteran serving in the European theatre as a tank crewmember. Gene also raced home built stock cars on dirt tracks. Gene died at age 75 and is buried in the Methodist Cemetery at Quincy in Lewis County, KY.
John (1925 – 1926) died as an infant of the whooping cough.
John E. Raike (1834 - 1902)
Rachel Hall Raike (1836 - ____)
Louisa J. Lowder Raike (1888 - 1962)
Nellie M. Raike Bolander (1905 - 1988)*
Clara Belle Raike-Butler Hill (1906 - 1974)*
Anna Marie Raike Overturf (1908 - 1985)*
Mary Raike (1909 - 1912)*
Ellis James Raike (1912 - 1954)*
Clarence S. Raike (1914 - 1982)*
Lucy Raike Woods-Borror (1915 - 1980)*
George H. Raike (1917 - 1935)*
Edward N. Raike (1919 - 1997)*
Clyde J Raike (1921 - 1964)*
Eugene Dorsel Raike (1924 - 1999)*
Imogene D. Raike Riffe (1924 - 1999)*
John Harold Raike (1925 - 1926)*
William P. Raike (1857 - 1926)*
John Marion Raike (1860 - 1924)*
Isabel Raike Brown (1861 - ____)*
Clarissa E. Rake Price (1868 - ____)*
James Albert Raike (1868 - 1947)*
Samuel Ellis Raike (1872 - 1953)
Virginia Raike (1874 - 1875)*
Jennie Raike (1875 - ____)*
Lucy Raike Potts (1877 - 1952)*
Charles Raike (1879 - 1952)*
Created by: Greg Raike
Record added: Jul 03, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 28006350