|Birth: ||Jan. 8, 1784|
West Virginia, USA
|Death: ||Dec. 7, 1876|
MARY AKERS was born in Greenbrier County, Virginia, which later came within the boundaries of the new state of West Virginia, and is the daughter of SIMON AKERS and wife, MARY G. SMITH and is the granddaughter of WILLIAM AKERS and wife, ELIZABETH MARTYE, daughter of HEINRICH MARTYE.
SIMON AKERS married MARY G. SMITH on 5 Dec 1780 in Greenbrier County, Virginia (W). They both died in Highland County, Ohio; buried in the Hartman Cemetery.
For whatever reason, MARY'S surname changed from AKERS to ACHORS; English spelling to Dutch/German spelling. In the original document of the Power of Attorney from CHRISTOPHER, her husband, to their son, HIRAM, MARY'S father's surname was spelled AKERS.
MARY AKERS married CHRISTOPHER VANDEVANDER circa 1800 in Greenbriar County, Virginia, son of JACOB VANDEVANDER and wife, ELISABETH BIBLE.
CHILDREN OF MARY AND CHRISTOPHER ARE TAKEN FROM THE CHRISTOPHER VANDEVANDER RECORDS AND FROM THE BIBLE:
(1) William Achors was born 22 Jun 1801; died the 12 of Mar 1883; married Mary Norfleet Milner.
(2) Elizabeth was born 10 Jun 1806; death date unknown; married Dougal McArthur.
(3) John was born 5 Oct 1808; died 24 Oct 1813.
(4) Jacob was born 6 Apr 1809; died 16 Jan 1892; married Elizabeth Pace.
(5) Hiram was born 12 Mar 1810; died 5 Aug 1890; married first, Mary Vernon, died in October 1852. Hiram married second, Mary E. Diggs.
(6) Mary was born 14 Mar 1812; date of death unknown; married Archie McArthur.
Note: Children 1-6 were all born in Greenbrier County, Virginia.
(7) Christopher II was born 19 Dec 1813; died in 1840, during the Battle of Plum Creek in Caldwell County, Texas; married Mary McDonald.
(8) Hugh was born 17 Sep 1815; died in 1846 during the Mexican War in Texas; never married.
(9) William Levi was born 17 Jun 1818; died 31 Aug 1847; married Sarah Evans Stennett.
Note: Children 7-9 were born in the Alabama Territory taken from the Mississippi Territory. Alabama gained statehood in 1819.
(10) Ralph Sterrett was born 27 Sep 1820; died 1st of Dec 1891; married Ann Clark.
(11) Thomas was born 7 Jun 1823; died in California, the date of death unknown; never married.
(12) Sarah was born 27 Sep 1825; date of death unknown; married Sam Tittle.
(13) Sam Patterson was born 26 Dec 1827; died in California, the date of death unknown; never married.
(14) Jonathan Coleridge was born 16 May 1830; died 14 Feb 1912; married Elizabeth McFall.
Note: Children 10-14 were all born in Washington County, Alabama.
Simon Akers (1756 - 1828)
Mary G. Smith Akers (1752 - 1828)
Christopher Vandevander (1777 - 1862)*
William Achors VanDevender (1801 - 1883)*
Elizabeth Vandevander McArthur (1806 - 1876)*
Jacob VanDevender (1809 - 1892)*
Hiram VanDevender (1810 - 1890)*
Christopher Vandevender (1813 - 1840)*
William Levi Vandevender (1818 - 1847)*
Jonathan Coleridge VanDevender (1830 - 1912)*
Mary Akers Vandevander (1784 - 1876)
Susannah Akers Murdock (1791 - 1845)*
William Henry Akers (1801 - 1868)*
Old Salem Cemetery
Maintained by: Patricia Michel
Originally Created by: Bobby Hobson
Record added: Jan 16, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 32961235