|Birth: ||Aug. 3, 1796|
|Death: ||Dec. 12, 1842|
JABEZ HAM was born August 3, 1796 in Madison County, KY to Stephen Ham and Rhoda Cofer Ham. Hedied December 12, 1842 in Callaway County, MO. He married HANNAH TODD January 13, 1814 in Madison County, KY daughter of PETER TODD and HANNAH CORNELISON.
Marriage Notes for JABEZ HAM and HANNAH TODD:
Bondsman was Thomas Lamb. Bond date was January 12, 1814. Consent given by Peter Todd and Stephen Ham. Bond returned on January 13, 1814. "Jabez Ham and Hannah Todd was join together in the holly state of matrimony the 13th day of January 1814 married by Joseph Ellison"
Burial: New Providence Church in Montgomery County, MO.
Occupation: Preacher. Jabez was a Baptist Minister, while his brother John was a Methodist Minister.
Jabez was a soldier in the War of 1812 for 120 days from February 1, 1815. His wife later applied for a pension after his death.
Under Ham in the War of 1812 Pensioners Index Book page 908
**Jabez, Hannah (Todd) WC-2162 m 13 Jan 1814 Madison Cty KY, sd 12 Dec 1842 Callaway Cty, MO, wd about 1880, srv Capt James Sympson's CO KY Milas a Trumpeter; wid lived Callaway Cty MO 1850-5 & Pike Cty IL 1871
HAM JABES DUDLEY'S MOUNTED BATT'N, KENTUCKY VOLS. MUSICIAN 89 602"
On September 30, 1829, The Missouri Intelligencer, a newspaper based at Franklin, in Howard County, MO published a list of letters at the post office there. Jabez Ham's name was among those who had not picked up his mail.
Tax Lists show Jabez in St. Charles Co. Mo. 1817 as well as John C.
In 1823, Jabez Ham's name appears in the Callaway County financial statement, where he received payment as a road overseer.
1819-1825 Montgomery Co.Territory of Missouri Property tax: HAM Jabez & John C.
In the "Early Missouri Ancestors, Volume II from Newspapers 1823-1832":
**Jabez Ham paid a $5 fine in the Callaway County Circuit Court on January 14,1823**
Children of JABEZ HAM and HANNAH TODD are:
1. RHODA HAM , b. March 5, 1815, Madison County, KY; d. February 17, 1879, Woody, IL. She married (1) ELIJAH POTTER June 24, 1837 in Callaway County, MO. She married (2) SETH MARTIN May 7, 1850 in Callaway County, MO., son of SETH MARTIN and ELIZABETH HOYT.
2. JOEL CAMPBELL HAM, b. November 23, 1818, Montgomery County, MO; d. April 22, 1887, Pettis County, MO. He married MARY SUSAN COUNTS January 29, 1839 in Montgomery County, MO.
3 GEORGE K. HAM, b. 1820, Missouri; d. March 1860, St. Clair County, MO. He married NANCY STARK WATSON July 19, 1846 in Callaway County, MO.
4. DR. JOHN D. HAM, b. September 8, 1825, Montgomery County, Missouri; d. May 3, 1903, Poplar Bluff, Butler County, MO. He married (1) SARAH ANN TODD. He married (2) UNKNOWN.
5. DAVID HAM, b. Bet. 1825 - 1830; d. Bet. 1840 - 1842.
If David Ham existed, he must be the male between 10-15 years of age listed in the 1840 census. However, he must have died between 1840-1842 as he is not listed in the probate of Jabez. (Debbie Bergman of MO found him listed in David Ham's (the son of William Ham) family bible.
6. WILLIAM C. HAM, b. 1827, Montgomery County, MO; d. March 6, 1882, Poplar Bluff, Butler County, MO. He married LOUISA HICKERSON February 6, 1857 in Callaway County, MO.
7. SARAH JANE HAM, b. 1828, Montgomery County, MO; d. 1880, Denton County, TX.She married NATHAN TODD June 6, 1847 in Callaway, MO, son of GRIFFIN TODD and EASTER/ESTHER ASTEN.
8. LUCY CAROLINE HAM, b. 1832, Callaway County, MO.She married GRIFFAN TODD May 12, 1852 in Callaway County, MO, son of GRIFFIN TODD and EASTER/ESTHER ASTEN.
9. JAMES D. HAM, b. 1834, Callaway County, MO; d. September 29, 1893, Poplar Bluff, MO. He married (1) NANCY GEE November 21, 1855 in Callaway County, MO. He married (2) NANCY A. TODD Bef. 1880, daughter of NATHAN TODD and SUSAN GRANT.
10. STEPHEN PETER HAM, b. July 1836, Callaway County, MO; d. March 7, 1908, Poplar Bluff, MO. He married EASTER J. TODD November 7, 1859 in St. Clair County, MO1, daughter of NATHAN TODD and SUSAN GRANT.
11. SAMUEL GRIFFIN HAM, b. 1838, Callaway County, MO; d. June 23, 1893, Poplar Bluff, MO. He married MARY E. Bef. 1859, daughter of JAMES GARDINER and AMANDA M (Gipson)4
12. MARTIN VAN BUREN HAM, b. September 19, 1840, Callaway County, MO; d. March 15, 1903, Bourbon County, Kansas. He married SARAH MARTHA HOLLIS December 13, 1866 in Pike County, Illinois.
they were the parents of 14 children. He came to Missouri in 1817 and in 1826 organized the New Providence Church.
Hannah Todd Ham (1798 - 1880)
Rhoda Cofer-Coffer Ham Martin (1815 - 1879)*
Joel Campbell Ham (1818 - 1887)*
John D. Ham (1825 - 1903)*
William C. Ham (1827 - 1882)*
Sarah Jane Ham Todd (1829 - 1891)*
James D. Ham (1834 - 1893)*
Stephen Peter Ham (1836 - 1908)*
Samuel Griffin Ham (1838 - 1893)*
New Providence Cemetery
Maintained by: JKMartin
Originally Created by: Ed Bartolacci
Record added: Aug 02, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 28718049