|Birth: ||Nov. 8, 1874|
|Death: ||Oct. 28, 1943|
Arkansas City Daily Traveler
Thursday, Dec 28, 1943
A.C. Woman Is Fatally Hurt In Explosion
Mrs. Harriet Abernathy Dies of Burns as Home is Destroyed.
Mrs. Harriet Elnora Abernathy, 63, died about 4 o'clock Thursday morning in a local hospital as a result of burns suffered in a gas explosion at her home, 615 South Fifth street, about 8:10 o'clock Wednesday night.
Jim Rollins, who also lived in the residence, told fireman that he had turned the gas off early in the evening preparatory to putting up a stove. Rollins told Fire Chief Harry McCullough he unplugged a gas line to connect the stove and apparently he or Mrs. Abernathy had turned on the gas at dinner time. Rollins is being treated at Mercy hospital for burns on his head and hands.
The cause of the explosion is believed to have been the igniting of fumes from the unplugged gas line when a second stove was lighted. Rollins said that Mrs. Abernathy's clothing and the household furnishings were ignited when the stove exploded. The house was almost demolished.
Mrs. Abernathy was born in Logan County, Ill., and had lived in this vicinity for the past 35 years. She came to Arkansas City with her parents in 1892 from the Cherokee nation. He husband Frank Abernathy, died June 1, 1936.
Surviving relatives include one son, John Richardson, LaPorte, Tex.; two sisters, Mrs. Jane Hancock, Cherokee, Okla., and Mrs. Virginia Orange, Kaw City, Okla.; one brother, Stephen Grady, 325 South Eighth , and two grandchildren.
Funeral arrangements have not been made awaiting in response of the son. Burial will be made in Parker Cemetery at the side of her husband. The Grant Funeral home is in charge.
William Turner Grady (1833 - 1914)
Hannah Mariah Shanholtzer Grady (1848 - 1937)
Franklin Edward Abernathy (1866 - 1936)*
Joseph Dawson Grady (1866 - 1939)*
Harriet Elnora Grady Abernathy (1874 - 1943)
Maintained by: dhopper
Originally Created by: Judy Mayfield
Record added: Nov 23, 2007
Find A Grave Memorial# 23047303